Jim Monos podcast drops XFL nuggets

XFL Football discussion.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Jim Monos podcast drops XFL nuggets

Post by GregParks »

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/xfl-sd- ... ules-more/

For those who may not be aware, XFL Senior Director of Football Operations Jim Monos has a podcast. In it, he has dropped some hints/news about the directions the XFL may be going in certain areas. Here's a synopsis of some of the more interesting things he's said, c/o the above XFL News Hub link:

-Monos used the word "aggressive" to describe the XFL's attitude toward on-field rules and talent procurement.
-It looks like the XFL will keep the rule of having college eligible players come into the XFL, combined with the USFL's idea of offering college credit through the league. This was a rule I thought may not be carried over from XFL2.0 simply because the adoption of NIL for college athletes took away one of the main driving forces for players to forego college and play in the XFL, that being the ability to get paid.
-"Some head coaches you're going to be surprised about," said Monos. I take that as a good sign as I wasn't really looking forward to the potential of secondary league retreads in those positions.
-In terms of a potential relationship with the NFL, Monos suggested the XFL could be a testing ground for new rules or technology the NFL would want to try out. Sounds almost like the relationship MLB has with minor league baseball, where MiLB tinkered with a lot of rules to see what worked and thus could be implemented at the major league level.
-Rule changes: Monos suggested forcing teams to go for two if they score in the first or second quarter. He conceded the league may just fall back on what XFL2.0 had as far as choosing to go for one, two, or three points after a TD. Sounds like no extra points for sure. On first blush, I don't really care for Monos's suggestion there.
-Monos still talked about the XFL being on the "ground level" in terms of preparing to start up.
-As Dany Garcia has mentioned, the all-access aspect of the league is something Monos emphasized. Coaches mic'd, fans getting to see players and coaches in meetings, etc. Of course, you need an outlet to put all of this stuff on, which is the hard part.

Would be interested to hear people's thoughts on some of the stuff Monos talked about.
@gregmparks
herns
Head Coach

Re: Jim Monos podcast drops XFL nuggets

Post by herns »

GregParks wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:47 pm https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/xfl-sd- ... ules-more/

For those who may not be aware, XFL Senior Director of Football Operations Jim Monos has a podcast. In it, he has dropped some hints/news about the directions the XFL may be going in certain areas. Here's a synopsis of some of the more interesting things he's said, c/o the above XFL News Hub link:

-Monos used the word "aggressive" to describe the XFL's attitude toward on-field rules and talent procurement.
-It looks like the XFL will keep the rule of having college eligible players come into the XFL, combined with the USFL's idea of offering college credit through the league. This was a rule I thought may not be carried over from XFL2.0 simply because the adoption of NIL for college athletes took away one of the main driving forces for players to forego college and play in the XFL, that being the ability to get paid.
-"Some head coaches you're going to be surprised about," said Monos. I take that as a good sign as I wasn't really looking forward to the potential of secondary league retreads in those positions.
-In terms of a potential relationship with the NFL, Monos suggested the XFL could be a testing ground for new rules or technology the NFL would want to try out. Sounds almost like the relationship MLB has with minor league baseball, where MiLB tinkered with a lot of rules to see what worked and thus could be implemented at the major league level.
-Rule changes: Monos suggested forcing teams to go for two if they score in the first or second quarter. He conceded the league may just fall back on what XFL2.0 had as far as choosing to go for one, two, or three points after a TD. Sounds like no extra points for sure. On first blush, I don't really care for Monos's suggestion there.
-Monos still talked about the XFL being on the "ground level" in terms of preparing to start up.
-As Dany Garcia has mentioned, the all-access aspect of the league is something Monos emphasized. Coaches mic'd, fans getting to see players and coaches in meetings, etc. Of course, you need an outlet to put all of this stuff on, which is the hard part.

Would be interested to hear people's thoughts on some of the stuff Monos talked about.
He got me excited about the future of the xfl. The only thing I didn’t like hearing was that they may be a testing ground for the nfl to try rules, it’d make it feel very minor league. Hope the tv contracts are good, that’s really what will set my expectations
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:47 pm https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/xfl-sd- ... ules-more/

Hmm
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

herns wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:41 pm

He got me excited about the future of the xfl. The only thing I didn’t like hearing was that they may be a testing ground for the nfl to try rules, it’d make it feel very minor league. Hope the tv contracts are good, that’s really what will set my expectations
I, too, was excited reading some of the things Monos had to say. I wouldn't read too much into the "ground floor" comment, as that can mean different things to different people. We know the league is moving forward with top-level management, scouting, etc, and we know they don't kick off for more than a year (we also don't know when that comment was made, as there don't seem to be any references to podcast dates these were taken from in the linked article).

I can understand people not wanting the XFL to be the NFL's minor league, but if the trade-off is the XFL getting more press through NFL channels like on its website, television network, etc. (and the XFL SHOULD be getting something out of the relationship) then that may be worth it.
@gregmparks
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

I don’t really have anything new to add but my thoughts are basically in line with what others have expressed so far.

I’m not sure why you would take away a choice from the coaches that adds intrigue and excitement to what call they are going to make after a touchdown by mandating a 2 point try.
I would definitely leave that as it was.

Any testing of NFL rules from year to year that changes the feel of the games could be frowned upon by many. It would feel very much like a developmental league move to me, like when the TSL tested the XFL rules. The TSL was in fact a developmental league. If the XFL were to test rules for the NFL they would need to be careful not to be gimmicky, and should be compensated. The USFL and XFL needs to be respected as serious professional leagues. The XFL’s unique rules made it fun and more exciting, that will set it apart from the NFL and USFL. I think they should only consider changing the rules if it will indeed add more excitement but not stray too far off course from the game we enjoy.

The “ground level” comment was an eyebrow raiser for me too. I thought at the time he was referring to the rules part of it but he could have meant the league overall. Regardless, after this much time I think everyone wants to hear that things are farther along than that.