Mike Mitchell on Markcast

XFL Football discussion.
herns
Head Coach

Mike Mitchell on Markcast

Post by herns »

Some of the more interesting things he said was a few months ago there was real discussion in the ownership about dropping the xfl but now they’re all in.
Eric Shanks is running the USFL and not letting Brian woods do what he wanted which was more bring in TSL 2.o, he’s heard that shanks is considering not bringing in any TSL coaches to distance themselves even more. He also think USFL may have team owners somewhat lined up already.
Mike also said XFL isn’t interested in bringing back Sam Schwartzstein(guy who created the innovative on field aspects of the XFL) and instead the USFL has interest in him.
Mike seemed to think we’ve got a full blown football war brewing because he’s heard redbird and fox are all in on their leagues

https://youtu.be/7W7KvIq-zk0
Tank55
MVP

Re: Mike Mitchell on Markcast

Post by Tank55 »

Schwartzstein seemed like an Oliver Luck guy, so not too surprised that they wouldn't be keen to bring him back. I'd be all for him landing with the USFL.

Very excited that the USFL is looking for a clean break from TSL.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:46 pm Schwartzstein seemed like an Oliver Luck guy, so not too surprised that they wouldn't be keen to bring him back. I'd be all for him landing with the USFL.

Very excited that the USFL is looking for a clean break from TSL.
Ya, Schwartzstein needs to be in football whatever league. It’s looking like we have what aaf vs xfl was hyped up to be
super390
Receiver

Post by super390 »

I think the SFL coaches SHOULD be retained because there's little time and the SFL had 8 coaching staffs in place. It had good head coaches, some of whom were known, and all of whom were obviously ready to work in a league where they would face 100% player turnover each new season. If you can grab the better-known coaches from Woods' league and add some more names, even better. But keeping staffs together will save time.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:09 pm Some of the more interesting things he said was a few months ago there was real discussion in the ownership about dropping the xfl but now they’re all in.
Eric Shanks is running the USFL and not letting Brian woods do what he wanted which was more bring in TSL 2.o, he’s heard that shanks is considering not bringing in any TSL coaches to distance themselves even more. He also think USFL may have team owners somewhat lined up already.
Mike also said XFL isn’t interested in bringing back Sam Schwartzstein(guy who created the innovative on field aspects of the XFL) and instead the USFL has interest in him.
Mike seemed to think we’ve got a full blown football war brewing because he’s heard redbird and fox are all in on their leagues

TSL was so far below radar of general public I don't see the need to avoid good coaches, I'll believe that when I see it. Sometime these PR guys blow smoke. I haven't heard one comparison to TSL in months, that was the whole point of keeping TSL low key.
It sounds to me that FOX is really into the USFL venture, great news!

I totally believe DG/RBC/Rk were ready to drop XFL, why else delay for 3 years? Someone decided to drop cash or sign a rights deal, and its moving forward. Just wish they did that in 2022, let alone 2021.

The leagues dont overlap much and they may end up working together or finding synergies or one absorb the other.

I can totally see a full blow FB war before that happens though, and that itself will generate interest.

Let the fun begin!
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:22 pm
herns wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:09 pm Some of the more interesting things he said was a few months ago there was real discussion in the ownership about dropping the xfl but now they’re all in.

TSL was so far below radar of general public I don't see the need to avoid good coaches, I'll believe that when I see it. Sometime these PR guys blow smoke. I haven't heard one comparison to TSL in months, that was the whole point of keeping TSL low key.

I totally believe DG/RBC/Rk were ready to drop XFL, why else delay for 3 years? Someone decided to drop cash or sign a rights deal, and its moving forward. Just wish they did that in 2022, let alone 2021.

The leagues dont overlap much and they may end up working together or finding synergies or one absorb the other.

I can totally see a full blow FB war before that happens though, and that itself will generate interest.

Let the fun begin!
Ya with fox and redbird being all in this could be a great situation for players and coaches to have this many options. The thing that intrigued me the most was he made it sound like Eric shanks is truly running this league.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:33 pm
4th&long wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:22 pm

Let the fun begin!
Ya with fox and redbird being all in this could be a great situation for players and coaches to have this many options. The thing that intrigued me the most was he made it sound like Eric shanks is truly running this league.
Just like the NFL - the owners run the league. Woods will do a fine job, he's there to make sure things get done and not over paying. I have no idea who Eric Shanks as a CEO but FOX owns the league and he's the leader of FoxSports so that makes sense, same with XFL's DG/RBC/Rock - its their money they call the shots.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

So the only question now, and it's a huge one, is how does everything come together in three months? We need major announcements, i.e. players, coaching staffs.

While thankfully it's the complete opposite of the AAF in that they got the infrastructure in place--even modified as it is for '22, it's a little late in the game to decide on the football side that TSL2.0 ain't it after all.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:24 pm So the only question now, and it's a huge one, is how does everything come together in three months? We need major announcements, i.e. players, coaching staffs.

While thankfully it's the complete opposite of the AAF in that they got the infrastructure in place--even modified as it is for '22, it's a little late in the game to decide on the football side that TSL2.0 ain't it after all.
I see them having a similar player pool and dispersion as TSL, ie assigned players or maybe a limited draft of a pool of players. Once assigned moves and cuts will be team calls.

As far as coaches - unless they have bigger names than Gilbride, Mumme, Jones, Granville etc, I see at least some of these guys coming back.

Just because we haven't heard it doesn't mean things aren't in the works. What I don't want to see is a pissing match between Woods and Shanks. Woods would lose that battle anyway so I hope they avoid that.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Jones would, or should, probably be the #1 HC announcement simply cause he has some staff at the ready. Dan Morrison and Dennis McKnight are coaching on Friday in the Sun Bowl but neither are going to be part of Jake Dickert's staff in '22 so they'd naturally be back with him I'd guess.

As I said previously, no need to trample over bowl games this week that have some USFL connections but some of this should have been done already.