XFL Scouts FCS Bowl

XFL Football discussion.
Gopher123
Quarterback

XFL Scouts FCS Bowl

Post by Gopher123 »

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/doug-wh ... onal-bowl/

Encouraging to see the XFL get back to scouting talent. I can’t help but wonder how big of an impact the XFL and USFL are going to have on the CFL, player wise. It might be easier to speculate once the pay structures are announced but these leagues could really have an effect. That is of course if the XFL and CFL don’t merge.
herns
Head Coach

Re: XFL Scouts FCS Bowl

Post by herns »

Gopher123 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:41 pm https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/doug-wh ... onal-bowl/

Encouraging to see the XFL get back to scouting talent. I can’t help but wonder how big of an impact the XFL and USFL are going to have on the CFL, player wise. It might be easier to speculate once the pay structures are announced but these leagues could really have an effect. That is of course if the XFL and CFL don’t merge.
The cfl will be really interesting to watch, I’m pretty sure they’re renegotiating the cba. I thought it was interesting xfl is sending scouts to the fcs games and USFL is sending theirs to HUB footballs next camp. Just interesting to see how the two are going about it differently
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Agreed, this is great to hear. It's never too early to get out and start pounding the pavement. Wonder just how extensive the scouting department of the league is at this point. Regardless, hope to hear of scouts attending some of the Bowls, All-Star Games, and the Combine this year as well.
@gregmparks
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

GregParks wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:31 pm Agreed, this is great to hear. It's never too early to get out and start pounding the pavement. Wonder just how extensive the scouting department of the league is at this point. Regardless, hope to hear of scouts attending some of the Bowls, All-Star Games, and the Combine this year as well.
I don’t know how extensive the scouting department is either but apparently it consists of at least 2! I thought it was especially interesting when Jake Henry made reference to 2 scouts, 1 identified as Whaley and the other was yet to be revealed.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

This seems to be the lowest tier game of all the all-star games, being made up on non-playoff FCS, D2 and D3 teams. The highest profile name looks like Donovan Duvernay, Devin's brother (also Kyler Murray's cousin) who played with him at Texas then transferred to Northwestern State. The Cajun Bowl is next in terms of profile, since it'll have some FBS prospects, but it's on Super Bowl Saturday so not in terms of order, the next one is the Hula Bowl (which debuts at the Bounce House) on Jan 15--and interestingly enough the Tropical Bowl is being played at CWS the same day.

The one that has both benefits and drawbacks is the NFLPA game. Benefits in terms of networking which of course is what you do, but as far as scouting? They have freaking Zerrick Cooper there and he didn't have that great of a year. Just one play in one game that really doesn't look all that great in retrospect.

The best is the College Gridiron Showcase. They actually have freaking Jarrett Guarantano there, other than cost Wazzu an eighth win he didn't do a damn thing. They do have Eric Barriere though, so a chance to do some serious scouting there. Jalen Morton and Ryan Willis were there a couple years ago, so this would seem to be up the USFL's alley if they're using TSL as a blueprint.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

XFL scouts, along with USFL and other secondary leagues, will also be at the Tropical Bowl All-Star Game in Orlando in January, according to a Tweet from the game's official account:

https://twitter.com/TropicalBowlUSA/sta ... 8019961859
@gregmparks
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

The Tropical Bowl goes first (12:00), they doing the Hula Bowl (4:00) as well?
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

MGB01 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:39 am The Tropical Bowl goes first (12:00), they doing the Hula Bowl (4:00) as well?
Not sure but perhaps worth noting is that Jonathan Hayes will be the WR/TE Coach for one of the teams in the Hula Bowl.
@gregmparks
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

When we say "scouting" these bowls, they're not just sitting in the stands and watching the game, right? I assume it's more getting to know the players and talking to the coaches about what they see in the practices.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Tank55 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:03 pm When we say "scouting" these bowls, they're not just sitting in the stands and watching the game, right? I assume it's more getting to know the players and talking to the coaches about what they see in the practices.
I think it's probably both. Certainly scouting the players for when the league begins combine invites/setting draft lists next year, but perhaps just as important IMO is making those connections with coaches, players, and agents to sell them on the XFL and to just give them as much info as possible about the league (esp. now that they're competing for talent with the USFL).
@gregmparks