XFL Scouts FCS Bowl

XFL Football discussion.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: XFL Scouts FCS Bowl

Post by GregParks »

Gopher123 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:43 am
GregParks wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:01 am FWIW, XFL EVP Marc Ross is the new hand-timer for the NFL Network on all 40-yard dashes, replacing Charley Casserly in that role (though I will miss Rich Eisen's Casserly impression each year). This may be nothing since Ross is an NFL Network personality, but one could speculate he may be handling some XFL-related scouting duties while he's in Indy as well. I haven't heard about or seen any other XFL presence at the Combine reported yet.
CJ Cavazos, Director of College & Pro Relations for the XFL is there. He thanked the staff for welcoming him last week and has been sending out some tweets from Indy. He has scouted some of the bowl games for the XFL.
Good call - thanks for the note. I do wonder how much access a league like the XFL has at the Combine - NFL teams can interview players and do medical testing, but can the XFL? I kinda doubt it. They may be able to talk to players and agents informally (which, especially communication with the agents, could be the most valuable part of their Combine efforts) and obviously scout on-field workouts. But NFL teams will tell you the medical evals are the most important part.
@gregmparks
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

GregParks wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:07 am
Gopher123 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:43 am
GregParks wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:01 am FWIW, XFL EVP Marc Ross is the new hand-timer for the NFL Network on all 40-yard dashes, replacing Charley Casserly in that role (though I will miss Rich Eisen's Casserly impression each year). This may be nothing since Ross is an NFL Network personality, but one could speculate he may be handling some XFL-related scouting duties while he's in Indy as well. I haven't heard about or seen any other XFL presence at the Combine reported yet.
CJ Cavazos, Director of College & Pro Relations for the XFL is there. He thanked the staff for welcoming him last week and has been sending out some tweets from Indy. He has scouted some of the bowl games for the XFL.
Good call - thanks for the note. I do wonder how much access a league like the XFL has at the Combine - NFL teams can interview players and do medical testing, but can the XFL? I kinda doubt it. They may be able to talk to players and agents informally (which, especially communication with the agents, could be the most valuable part of their Combine efforts) and obviously scout on-field workouts. But NFL teams will tell you the medical evals are the most important part.
That’s a good question, I have wondered about that myself. If the XFL is limited currently, perhaps their new partnership with the NFL could change that in the coming years.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

The XFL ended up making the NFL Combine....sorta. When Georgia's Jordan Davis ran a 4.8 40 yard-dash at 340 pounds, The Rock Tweeted:

"4.8 40 is fast.
4.8 40 @ 341lbs is holy shit fast.
Great run big man, can’t wait to see you wreak havoc!! 👏🏾👏🏾👊🏾
@NFL @XFL2023"

The NFL Network showed the Tweet on-screen twice. While the announcers never mentioned the XFL, it does go to show, as I brought up in my column on the NFL-XFL relationship, the power that Rock's social media can carry once the XFL really does ramp up its PR campaign.
@gregmparks
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Considering Davis is getting a LOT of interest from NFL teams (there's a lot of buzz about him falling to Buffalo at 25), he probably doesn't stand a chance of sniffing the XFL.

But one thing Johnson is doing is keeping the XFL in the bigger football conversation. It's something I think is smart: it establishes the XFL as part of a broader pro football ecosystem, without either becoming a subservient minor league (which fans don't want) or a head-on rival (which would likely lead to financial ruin). That's how I firmly believe the XFL survives.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:35 pm Considering Davis is getting a LOT of interest from NFL teams (there's a lot of buzz about him falling to Buffalo at 25), he probably doesn't stand a chance of sniffing the XFL.
I don't think anyone is under the impression he'd end up in the XFL.

Johnson did have a follow-up reply to the NFL Network's Tweet of Davis's reaction to seeing Johnson's Tweet where he writes in part, "in '23, I'll sign some of your boys!" and once again tagged the XFL Twitter handle. So certainly Johnson realizes Davis himself won't be available for the league.
@gregmparks
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:35 pm Considering Davis is getting a LOT of interest from NFL teams (there's a lot of buzz about him falling to Buffalo at 25), he probably doesn't stand a chance of sniffing the XFL.
What's funnier than hell about that is Gabriel Davis' brother down at UCF is also named Jordan. Would he adopt him (the Dawg) or something in that case?😁
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Yesterday the XFL Twitter account noted that XFL Football Ops are off to college pro days: https://twitter.com/XFL2023/status/1501 ... Pt39UpAAAA

Pro days started yesterday with Miami (OH) and Northwestern. There are a bunch today and according to numerous Twitter accounts covering it, there is an XFL rep at Wisconsin's pro day (here's one: https://mobile.twitter.com/JakeKoco/sta ... 6211917828). The Badgers are my favorite college team and I can tell you there are a number of fringe NFL players coming from that school this year that may be of interest to the XFL in the summer/fall.

EDIT: Based on a recent Tweet he made, it appears it was XFL Director of Special Projects David Dykeman who was at Wisconsin's pro day.
Last edited by GregParks on Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@gregmparks
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Slightly related question: Most FCS prospects skipped the spring season (Spencer Brown, Dillon Radunz, and of course Trey Lance leading the pack), but Christian Elliss played five games at Idaho and then bounced around a few teams before ending the season with the Eagles. How many else were there, if any?
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

CJ Cavazos is attending the Texas Pro Day today, per his Twitter:

https://twitter.com/cjcXFL/status/15019 ... jXkdgpAAAA

And David Dykeman was at Northwestern's Pro Day on Tuesday before attending Wisconsin's on Wednesday:

https://twitter.com/DDykemanXFL/status/ ... SF7dUpAAAA
@gregmparks
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

@gregmparks