XFL Scouts FCS Bowl

XFL Football discussion.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Re: XFL Scouts FCS Bowl

Post by Gopher123 »

https://mobile.twitter.com/Hula_Bowl?re ... r%5Eauthor

Add the Hula Bowl to the list of games the XFL plans to scout. Also USFL, CFL and all 32 NFL teams will be on hand.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Probably aren't going to need to note every star game the XFL is at, but this Tweet from Ryan Roberts @RiseNDraft indicates the XFL and USFL are also in attendance at the College Gridiron Showcase:

"We have 28 NFL teams present today for player interviews, also including scouts from the CFL, XFL and USFL. Total of 177 scouts in the room..."

https://twitter.com/RiseNDraft/status/1 ... 4576890888
@gregmparks
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

From @RossJacksonNOLA, XFL and USFL among at least 18 NFL teams scouting the HBCU Combine today. I believe that's done in concert with the Senior Bowl, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them staying an extra week to scout that week of practice, too:

https://twitter.com/RossJacksonNOLA/sta ... 3876669440

Also, David Dykeman, XFL's Director of Special Projects, is at the East-West Shrine Game this week scouting talent:

https://twitter.com/DDykemanXFL/status/ ... 7102695426

h/t to @the_markcast for RTing those onto my timeline.
@gregmparks
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

On his Go Long podcast last weekend, Jim Monos said that he would be at the Senior Bowl covering it for the XFL.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Gopher123 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:20 pm On his Go Long podcast last weekend, Jim Monos said that he would be at the Senior Bowl covering it for the XFL.
Thanks for sharing. I have to keep reminding myself that I need to put Go Long in my regular podcast rotation.
@gregmparks
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

They have been mainly discussing the NFL playoff games with very little XFL related talk. They drop an XFL nugget every now and then. I suspect they can’t get into much detail until more news is made public.

Side note - I don’t know if anyone saw the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl last night but it was decided on the very last play. I caught the 2nd half and it was very entertaining. Marvin Lewis and Jeff Fisher were the HC’s, Jonathan Hayes was an OC, Wade Phillips was a DC. Many former NFL players were assistant coaches, that I wasn’t aware were even in coaching. QB Cole Kelley was MVP and was definitely deserving of it.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Gopher123 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:24 am They have been mainly discussing the NFL playoff games with very little XFL related talk. They drop an XFL nugget every now and then. I suspect they can’t get into much detail until more news is made public.

Side note - I don’t know if anyone saw the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl last night but it was decided on the very last play. I caught the 2nd half and it was very entertaining. Marvin Lewis and Jeff Fisher were the HC’s, Jonathan Hayes was an OC, Wade Phillips was a DC. Many former NFL players were assistant coaches, that I wasn’t aware were even in coaching. QB Cole Kelley was MVP and was definitely deserving of it.
It's light coaching duty and keeps them in the game. It looks like a mix of who's who in altFB or could be's. I'm not a hugh Lewis fan in NFL but sub-NFL he'd be a big. Hayes could end up in USFL or XFL as assistant/HC along with Phillips.

Why does the NFLPA put that on anyway and who gets an invite?
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

4th&long wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:30 am
Gopher123 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:24 am They have been mainly discussing the NFL playoff games with very little XFL related talk. They drop an XFL nugget every now and then. I suspect they can’t get into much detail until more news is made public.

It's light coaching duty and keeps them in the game. It looks like a mix of who's who in altFB or could be's. I'm not a hugh Lewis fan in NFL but sub-NFL he'd be a big. Hayes could end up in USFL or XFL as assistant/HC along with Phillips.

Why does the NFLPA put that on anyway and who gets an invite?
It’s open to draft-eligible seniors. It was created to prepare those players for a career in the NFL. Introducing them to the players union and educating them on the business side of playing in the NFL.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Yeah, I wasn't expecting to hear any groundbreaking news, but nuggets of info are better than nothing, which is what we have now.

I just finished watching the game. I know it's on the NFL Network and all but I was surprised the announcers made no mention of Jeff Fisher being hired to coach in the USFL (unless I missed it). It happened just recently and it didn't exactly fly under the radar.

As for the assistants, you probably weren't aware some were in coaching because they're not. The NFLPA bowl tends to give former players an opportunity to coach the game to get their foot in the door. Brock Marion, Vontaze Burfict, Willie Anderson are among those who coached position groups in the game who don't have any pro coaching experience. Just another lift the NFLPA gives its guys.
@gregmparks
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

I had seen where Nick Novak was going to be a coach and I knew he had very little coaching experience besides maybe camps or consultations. Yeah, I didn’t realize that many more were being provided an opportunity to try their hand at coaching. What great experience this game provides!