XFL Houston

XFL Football discussion.
Gopher123
Quarterback

XFL Houston

Post by Gopher123 »

Houston’s uniform was the only one left out of DG’s Instagram photo. This makes sense because this is really the only team, (as far as I know), that has to change their logos. At least the main one anyway. A rebranding is certainly upcoming, but what are the chances the XFL actually moves out of Houston?

We know the USFL is coming there but not until at least 2023. Houston, I believe was the XFL’s 3rd best market attendance wise and gaining momentum. It’s a big tv market as well. There are different stadium options, if it comes to that. Personally, I can’t see the XFL moving out of town just because of the USFL.

Now, they could move to San Antonio, but would it make more sense to move a team like Dallas or LA that wasn’t performing as well? How about 3 teams in Texas? It wouldn’t do much for their geographical footprint but I think it could make for some damn good rivalry games and really make the XFL huge in Texas.

Then, there’s the rumors of the XFL maybe being interested in possibly putting a team in Mexico City. That could put a 4th team in the region. I kind of doubt this but who knows? Thoughts?
Tank55
MVP

Re: XFL Houston

Post by Tank55 »

They share a time zone, but Mexico City is really far away from Houston. That's like saying Houston and Tampa are in the same region.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

I'm not sure how much to read into Houston's uniform not appearing in the picture. Was it just because that uniform was on the end of the line and wouldn't fit into the frame? Personally I think it's more than a coincidence that the one team that will have to change at least one of its logos was the only one not featured in that picture. As I've said in other threads, I think Dany Garcia is very purposeful and detailed in what she reveals on Instagram.

Remember too, Houston was where all XFL 2020 training camps were held in addition to being home of the Roughnecks, so their relationship with the league goes deeper than other cities. They were also scheduled to host the XFL Championship Game. Now, did a lot of that have to do with Oliver Luck and his relationship with Houston, given he played professionally there? And with Luck now out of the picture, does Houston not have that executive-level support inside the league? I'm guessing the city was happy that they were getting all this attention from the league so I'm sure they'd be "in" for 2023 if the league decides to go forward with them. A simple logo tweak could be all that's needed.
@gregmparks
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

GregParks wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:01 pm I'm not sure how much to read into Houston's uniform not appearing in the picture. Was it just because that uniform was on the end of the line and wouldn't fit into the frame? Personally I think it's more than a coincidence that the one team that will have to change at least one of its logos was the only one not featured in that picture. As I've said in other threads, I think Dany Garcia is very purposeful and detailed in what she reveals on Instagram.

Remember too, Houston was where all XFL 2020 training camps were held in addition to being home of the Roughnecks, so their relationship with the league goes deeper than other cities. They were also scheduled to host the XFL Championship Game. Now, did a lot of that have to do with Oliver Luck and his relationship with Houston, given he played professionally there? And with Luck now out of the picture, does Houston not have that executive-level support inside the league? I'm guessing the city was happy that they were getting all this attention from the league so I'm sure they'd be "in" for 2023 if the league decides to go forward with them. A simple logo tweak could be all that's needed.
Then there’s also the USFL factor. Like them or not they have a Houston team and fox execs to negotiate with the city so they likely will play a factor in some way
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

herns wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:44 pm
GregParks wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:01 pm I'm not sure how much to read into Houston's uniform not appearing in the picture. Was it just because that uniform was on the end of the line and wouldn't fit into the frame? Personally I think it's more than a coincidence that the one team that will have to change at least one of its logos was the only one not featured in that picture. As I've said in other threads, I think Dany Garcia is very purposeful and detailed in what she reveals on Instagram.

Then there’s also the USFL factor. Like them or not they have a Houston team and fox execs to negotiate with the city so they likely will play a factor in some way
You have to factor that in, too, absolutely. I guess the question then is, when did the XFL lock in its teams for 2023 (unless they haven't already) relative to when the USFL did so.
@gregmparks
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Well, they have a team with the name "Houston" in it. Until they sign a stadium lease and actually commit to playing games in the city, they don't really have a team in the market.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

Tank55 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:38 am They share a time zone, but Mexico City is really far away from Houston. That's like saying Houston and Tampa are in the same region.
You’re right. It’s about 850 miles between San Antonio and Mexico City. I shouldn’t have implied they were all close together. I meant that IF the XFL decides to put a team in Mexico City plus 3 teams in Texas, that leaves a whole lot of open ground in the western part of the US with no XFL team. Especially, if they were to move the Wildcats to San Antonio. We don’t know what the desired number of teams are for kickoff 2023 yet but I can’t imagine it would be more than 8-10, at least to start with. Whatever or wherever the Houston franchise turns out to be I really hope they keep those chrome helmets!
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Remember one other thing, though: Houston was Oliver Luck's home city. With Luck out of the picture, you know Russ Brandon isn't going to show that same kind of loyalty.

That said, I don't think they're leaving Houston. It may be more expressly an issue of trademark given the issue with the Titans earlier in the year.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:38 am Remember one other thing, though: Houston was Oliver Luck's home city. With Luck out of the picture, you know Russ Brandon isn't going to show that same kind of loyalty.

That said, I don't think they're leaving Houston. It may be more expressly an issue of trademark given the issue with the Titans earlier in the year.

Agreed. I hope they don’t leave Houston, but if they do, I will have a hard time believing it was because of the USFL. I could see it being more about a fall out between Houston and the XFL over the way things ended with Luck. Or possibly because of unresolved business issues that resulted from the bankruptcy.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

Gopher123 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:09 am Houston’s uniform was the only one left out of DG’s Instagram photo. This makes sense because this is really the only team, (as far as I know), that has to change their logos. At least the main one anyway. A rebranding is certainly upcoming, but what are the chances the XFL actually moves out of Houston?

We know the USFL is coming there but not until at least 2023. Houston, I believe was the XFL’s 3rd best market attendance wise and gaining momentum. It’s a big tv market as well. There are different stadium options, if it comes to that. Personally, I can’t see the XFL moving out of town just because of the USFL.

Now, they could move to San Antonio, but would it make more sense to move a team like Dallas or LA that wasn’t performing as well? How about 3 teams in Texas? It wouldn’t do much for their geographical footprint but I think it could make for some damn good rivalry games and really make the XFL huge in Texas.

Then, there’s the rumors of the XFL maybe being interested in possibly putting a team in Mexico City. That could put a 4th team in the region. I kind of doubt this but who knows? Thoughts?
You never know there’s always the chance they both try Houston for a year since there’s no over lap in schedule. USFL at River stadium where TSL played one of their bubbles and xfl back at tdecu. Maybe for a year they both give it a try