Xfl official dates

XFL Football discussion.
herns
Head Coach

Xfl official dates

Post by herns »

On Dany Garcia’s Instagram the xfl will have combined in June 2022, training camp in January 2023, and kickoff in February 2023
4th&long
MVP

Re: Xfl official dates

Post by 4th&long »

Here's the link.

https://twitter.com/CallMeNokes/status/ ... 9687397383

Sounds like panic time for XFL with USFL jumping ahead.

All could have been avoided if they took my 2021 Hybrid bubble approach.
Why have a combine in June 2022? Why not wait till USFL over and get those players in early July? All sounds like a cock block SFL battle to me.

502 days from today puts kickoff at 4/18/2023, of course that depends on WHEN photo was taken.

Let the SFL wars begin!!!
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

4th&long wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:49 pm Here's the link.

Why have a combine in June 2022? Why not wait till USFL over and get those players in early July? All sounds like a cock block SFL battle to me.

502 days from today puts kickoff at 4/18/2023, of course that depends on WHEN photo was taken.

How is that panic? They have a plan for the next year and a half. The USFL hasn't even announced one coach yet 4 months before kickoff. Apparently that picture was from the meetings in NY back in October, but Danny just tweeted that out today. The start date would be Feb. 18, 2023. An initial bunch of USFL players for the January training camp were released, and honestly it looked more akin to the potential roster of an indoor/arena squad. I'm thinking the XFL will be going after former D1 players and upper tier CFL players like they got in 2020.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:32 pm
4th&long wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:49 pm Here's the link.

How is that panic? They have a plan for the next year and a half. The USFL hasn't even announced one coach yet 4 months before kickoff. Apparently that picture was from the meetings in NY back in October, but Danny just tweeted that out today. The start date would be Feb. 18, 2023. An initial bunch of USFL players for the January training camp were released, and honestly it looked more akin to the potential roster of an indoor/arena squad. I'm thinking the XFL will be going after former D1 players and upper tier CFL players like they got in 2020.
Panic or what ever you want to call it, they are releasing non-news photos to stunt some of the USFL buzz. That's why they are doing it. The "panic" part is they waited too long to get moving and should have done this last year or IMO played a small bubble in 2021. so now they are looking at trying to take wind out of USFL sails.
Recall the XFL 2.0 tried the same with AAF, saying they'd pay better. Of course they changed tune when AAF folded... and paid less.

I'm hoping you are correct about the timing of the Pic and that Feb 2023 s the launch date- More FB for us and I still think that's the better time due to weather for higher TV audience. It also doesn't overlap the USFL much. Competition is good for the soul so they say... lets see if that's true.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

Well the XFL has been saying to expect an announcement soon and I'd say this would be considered soon. Does the XFL know the USFL exists? I'm sure they do. Do they really care? Probably not, just as Vince didn't view the AAF competition either. The XFL is talking about international teams, reality television, and having a bigger presence in the media and gaming landscape. The USFL is using a beefed up TSL model which may serve it's purpose, but does not have nearly the same ambition Redbird and Co. are striving for.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:12 pm Well the XFL has been saying to expect an announcement soon and I'd say this would be considered soon. Does the XFL know the USFL exists? I'm sure they do. Do they really care? Probably not, just as Vince didn't view the AAF competition either. The XFL is talking about international teams, reality television, and having a bigger presence in the media and gaming landscape. The USFL is using a beefed up TSL model which may serve it's purpose, but does not have nearly the same ambition Redbird and Co. are striving for.
I think the USFL is a bigger threat than the AAF ever was just based on who’s backing it and they have a smart slow build plan. That said I do agree the xfl has way more ambition, only worries I have with the xfl is how different will it be from 2020 and Are they going to big to early to where it won’t be sustainable
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

Good catch on this herns. It’s fun to have some solid league dates to look forward to. I’m not sure I would call this a cock block as I think we are just getting to the point when news has to start coming if 2023 is a go. The runway for the XFL needed to be longer than the USFL based off of each leagues plans. I think the player camp in June is going to be for the players not participating in the USFL or players the USFL passed on. I expect the XFL will look at signing players from the USFL in the months that follow the USFL’s season. Again, player pay structure will play a big role here for both leagues.

I agree, and am happy with the February kickoff as well. That’s a big tv time of year for me and others, plus both leagues full schedules won’t be at exactly the same time. More football for sure!
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Don’t announce any news, the league is sitting on its hands doing nothing. Reveal some news, it’s panic mode and trying to take the wind from the USFL’s sails. Can’t win with some I guess.
@gregmparks
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

herns wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:54 am On Dany Garcia’s Instagram the xfl will have combined in June 2022, training camp in January 2023, and kickoff in February 2023
Which pretty much establishes what we already suspected all along. They're staying with the building off the post-Super Bowl buzz and audience. (Which I agree is what should be done, even if it means ratings are going to diminish midseason. But that will happen anyway, and it's better to drop off from a strong start than to drop off from a weak start in the middle of April when everyone's forgotten about football.)
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

4th&long wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:49 pm Sounds like panic time for XFL with USFL jumping ahead.
herns wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:49 pm I think the USFL is a bigger threat than the AAF ever was just based on who’s backing it and they have a smart slow build plan.
Do you really think Brian Woods, who has had about seven years to build his operation out of survival mode, is any better capitalized or connected than Charlie Ebersol was? I don't think so. Woods has cut short seasons for money reasons, just like the AAF did... and he's been just as dishonest about it.

Woods is still around solely because he refused to take enough risks to sink his project... which also means he didn't take enough risks to build a major national profile. He's still in survival mode, given he only has one market.

I want to take you all back to 2001. You know, the original XFL also had an alternative football league that started its season in April: the Arena Football League. Arena ball survived for several years after that. They play in different seasons. Oh, and TSL was around when Vince relaunched the XFL in 2020, too. Vince just kicked a six-figure check to Woods to test the rules changes.

Until I see otherwise, I just don't see how the USFL has the capital to take that next step to be a serious threat to the XFL. Now, admittedly, there are similar issues with how the current XFL ownership will compare to the money McMahon invested... but the XFL made an impact. If not for the 'rona, we'd be talking about them going into season 3 right now. It's already established itself as a viable brand. Brian Woods has established himself as a minor, minor league operator... and it's a lot easier to move down than it is for someone on the bottom to move up.

Let's see who the up-and-comers and out-of-work NFL vets choose before we start boldly calling the USFL an "XFL slayer."