Xfl official dates

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Xfl official dates

Post by 4th&long »

Gopher123 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:05 am
Firecop wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:25 pm I said it once and I'll say it again, I am sick and tired of the teases and the "Easter Eggs". All they are doing is further frustrating and pissing off the XFL faithful.

I get it and have agreed in the past as well. Especially the whole, that’s the corner of an NFL logo so what does/doesn’t that mean? No one on the outside has enough information to figure that out for sure and we still don’t. That was and still is annoying and that’s definitely a tease. This didn’t start with DG though, I remember when they teased the team logos right before they unveiled them. They showed just a small portion of each logo and that was about impossible to figure out what they were. I think some people were guessing one of the teams were going to be the spiders.

I didn’t feel yesterday was really teaser though. Was it a league schedule printed off in black and white? No, but I don’t think that’s DG’s style. They did provide us with 3 important dates that weren’t that hard to figure out when they were going to be. I’m more ok with this as long as we have enough information to figure these posts out. Agreed though, it would be nice for them to make official announcements soon after the Instagram posts.
No comparison to the XFL logo reveals on 2019. That was with Biz already out in public and doing a traditional tease on a marketing issue. This is more guerilla style mkting or (paper) tiger style promo to blunt USFL. Why they haven't released the schedule officially yet - anyone's guess. SFL WARS!
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:57 am With the XFL locking down these dates it leads me to believe the teams/cities are more or less in place now. The interesting part will be, which league locks down stadium leases first? Will Metlife and Raymond James Stadium play host to two Spring football leagues? My guess is not likely. Whichever leagues check clears first will have first dibs on those stadiums. Also will be interesting to see what happens in Houston with 2 teams potentially setting up shop there as well.
No way stadium turns down revenue. Who ever signs first has first dibs on dates is more likely.

The season's don't overlap much. And only 3 cities overlap USFL to XFL anyway and Houston / TB may in XFL may move to SA and Orlando - its easy enough.

Anyway stadiums will accept both.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

4th&long wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:05 am
Firecop wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:25 pm I said it once and I'll say it again, I am sick and tired of the teases and the "Easter Eggs". All they are doing is further frustrating and pissing off the XFL faithful.

I get it and have agreed in the past as well. Especially the whole, that’s the corner of an NFL logo so what does/doesn’t that mean? No one on the outside has enough information to figure that out for sure and we still don’t. That was and still is annoying and that’s definitely a tease. This didn’t start with DG though, I remember when they teased the team logos right before they unveiled them. They showed just a small portion of each logo and that was about impossible to figure out what they were. I think some people were guessing one of the teams were going to be the spiders.

I didn’t feel yesterday was really teaser though. Was it a league schedule printed off in black and white? No, but I don’t think that’s DG’s style. They did provide us with 3 important dates that weren’t that hard to figure out when they were going to be. I’m more ok with this as long as we have enough information to figure these posts out. Agreed though, it would be nice for them to make official announcements soon after the Instagram posts.
No comparison to the XFL logo reveals on 2019. That was with Biz already out in public and doing a traditional tease on a marketing issue. This is more guerilla style mkting or (paper) tiger style promo to blunt USFL. Why they haven't released the schedule officially yet - anyone's guess. SFL WARS!

Use whatever words you want but in my book a tease is a tease. One isn’t more/less annoying based off of what has been announced. With the USFL player showcase supposedly starting in January, one would suspect fairly steady news from then to kickoff in April. So being that this is December when is the XFL supposed to announce anything that you won’t view as a block to USFL news?
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

laxtreme56 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:57 am With the XFL locking down these dates it leads me to believe the teams/cities are more or less in place now.
I do wonder just how "hard" these dates are, or if they're more target dates. Part of me thinks Garcia has been very purposeful in the info she has released...would she post this if the dates weren't set in stone? Part of me also wonders if there may be some wiggle room on the dates, too, especially once TV contracts and stadium leases get involved (but hey, the good news is if these are hard dates that those may already be hurdles cleared even if we haven't heard anything official).
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Gopher123 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:40 am

Use whatever words you want but in my book a tease is a tease. One isn’t more/less annoying based off of what has been announced. With the USFL player showcase supposedly starting in January, one would suspect fairly steady news from then to kickoff in April. So being that this is December when is the XFL supposed to announce anything that you won’t view as a block to USFL news?
They aren't releasing "news" that's the point. I'm not annoyed I'm stating what they are doing while not anything official that they can be held to. Microsoft is an example of a org that using paper tigers throughout its history.

When they officially release hard facts, like AAF, XFL 2.0, TSL, USFL, in an official capacity then there will be more meat on the bones. Bottomline they got caught with pants down playing games with the CFL while forgoing 2022 and 2021 and now they are playing catch up. They are releasing tidbits guerilla style in order to stay relevant. I understand why - its called the USFL. Their original plan was 2022 after alluding to 2021.

IMO they should move out of Houston and TB and play 6/8 teams in an 8/10 week season reducing overlap with the USFL while looking to work together longer term. They may be doing that now behind the scenes for all we know.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

GregParks wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:54 amI do wonder just how "hard" these dates are, or if they're more target dates. Part of me thinks Garcia has been very purposeful in the info she has released...would she post this if the dates weren't set in stone? Part of me also wonders if there may be some wiggle room on the dates, too, especially once TV contracts and stadium leases get involved (but hey, the good news is if these are hard dates that those may already be hurdles cleared even if we haven't heard anything official).
That's a great point. Maybe just penciling in what would be the "normal" start date and everything is still subject to change. If they are committing to a February start, that obviously limits the markets. First piece still has to be the TV deal.

I'm through the looking glass on the easter egg stuff -- it's not how I would run comms, but I'm just happy that they're still working on it. I didn't think XFL 2.0 was all that great on communication, so whatever. Just let me know when I can buy tickets and help build a beer snake.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:42 pm
GregParks wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:54 amI do wonder just how "hard" these dates are, or if they're more target dates. Part of me thinks Garcia has been very purposeful in the info she has released...would she post this if the dates weren't set in stone? Part of me also wonders if there may be some wiggle room on the dates, too, especially once TV contracts and stadium leases get involved (but hey, the good news is if these are hard dates that those may already be hurdles cleared even if we haven't heard anything official).
That's a great point. Maybe just penciling in what would be the "normal" start date and everything is still subject to change. If they are committing to a February start, that obviously limits the markets. First piece still has to be the TV deal.

I'm through the looking glass on the easter egg stuff -- it's not how I would run comms, but I'm just happy that they're still working on it. I didn't think XFL 2.0 was all that great on communication, so whatever. Just let me know when I can buy tickets and help build a beer snake.
Good points. Here's more to think about.

The leaks out of Birmingham (or news reports) had NBC and its cable channel USAN televising games. Did that happen? Or did XFL step in? Was NBC using USFL as leverage on XFL deal? Or Vice Versa? Is this why DG is releasing tidbits?
Or could NBC do both? (They could since there's little overlap.)

We have yet to see a Birmingham announcement though with Birm getting a team that seems more a PR move more than anything. Once CFP conf championships over and CFP teams selected I hope we hear more on USFL.

The plot thickkkkkens !
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

4th&long wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:10 pm
Gopher123 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:40 am

They aren't releasing "news" that's the point. I'm not annoyed I'm stating what they are doing while not anything official that they can be held to. Microsoft is an example of a org that using paper tigers throughout its history.

When they officially release hard facts, like AAF, XFL 2.0, TSL, USFL, in an official capacity then there will be more meat on the bones. Bottomline they got caught with pants down playing games with the CFL while forgoing 2022 and 2021 and now they are playing catch up. They are releasing tidbits guerilla style in order to stay relevant. I understand why - its called the USFL. Their original plan was 2022 after alluding to 2021.

IMO they should move out of Houston and TB and play 6/8 teams in an 8/10 week season reducing overlap with the USFL while looking to work together longer term. They may be doing that now behind the scenes for all we know.
I guess I was looking at those as hard dates. Yes plans can change but if those were meant to be posted as estimates and not as hard dates then that could piss some people off and not make much sense IMO. Especially when it was reported that in smaller print it actually says kickoff February 18,2023.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

This thread title says "official", but they haven't officially announced or released anything. They're obviously doing this stuff deliberately, but if they make an adjustment, I don't think anyone can accuse them of dishonesty or anything like that. Consume stuff in the background of Garcia's instagram at your own peril.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:12 pm This thread title says "official", but they haven't officially announced or released anything. They're obviously doing this stuff deliberately, but if they make an adjustment, I don't think anyone can accuse them of dishonesty or anything like that. Consume stuff in the background of Garcia's instagram at your own peril.

Got it. I’m on the same page now. Just a misunderstanding over what is really official dates/real news and not really official dates.