Xfl official dates

XFL Football discussion.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Xfl official dates

Post by MarkNelson »

At some point in time the XFL will have to release real information that is not a teaser leaked through Dany Garcia’s IG account.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:20 pm
4th&long wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:49 pm Sounds like panic time for XFL with USFL jumping ahead.
herns wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:49 pm I think the USFL is a bigger threat than the AAF ever was just based on who’s backing it and they have a smart slow build plan.
Do you really think Brian Woods, who has had about seven years to build his operation out of survival mode, is any better capitalized or connected than Charlie Ebersol was? I don't think so. Woods has cut short seasons for money reasons, just like the AAF did... and he's been just as dishonest about it.

Woods is still around solely because he refused to take enough risks to sink his project... which also means he didn't take enough risks to build a major national profile. He's still in survival mode, given he only has one market.

I want to take you all back to 2001. You know, the original XFL also had an alternative football league that started its season in April: the Arena Football League. Arena ball survived for several years after that. They play in different seasons. Oh, and TSL was around when Vince relaunched the XFL in 2020, too. Vince just kicked a six-figure check to Woods to test the rules changes.

Until I see otherwise, I just don't see how the USFL has the capital to take that next step to be a serious threat to the XFL. Now, admittedly, there are similar issues with how the current XFL ownership will compare to the money McMahon invested... but the XFL made an impact. If not for the 'rona, we'd be talking about them going into season 3 right now. It's already established itself as a viable brand. Brian Woods has established himself as a minor, minor league operator... and it's a lot easier to move down than it is for someone on the bottom to move up.

Let's see who the up-and-comers and out-of-work NFL vets choose before we start boldly calling the USFL an "XFL slayer."
Fox owns the USFL 100% and has stated to commit $150mm over 3 years minimum. Woods is an employee of Fox now.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:34 pm Don’t announce any news, the league is sitting on its hands doing nothing. Reveal some news, it’s panic mode and trying to take the wind from the USFL’s sails. Can’t win with some I guess.
I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, I'm saying they are doing it to cock block interest in the USFL. That's clear.

XFL 2.0 tried to persuade players to not accept $70k salaries and not to sign 3 yr AAF contract because the XFL was coming, and with 100K or more!

Then AAF folded and XFL salary was $50k with $1k win bonuses. Business is WAR.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MarkNelson wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:00 pm At some point in time the XFL will have to release real information that is not a teaser leaked through Dany Garcia’s IG account.
Agreed. I hope they both make it.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

I said it once and I'll say it again, I am sick and tired of the teases and the "Easter Eggs". All they are doing is further frustrating and pissing off the XFL faithful.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:20 pm
4th&long wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:49 pm Sounds like panic time for XFL with USFL jumping ahead.
herns wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:49 pm I think the USFL is a bigger threat than the AAF ever was just based on who’s backing it and they have a smart slow build plan.
Do you really think Brian Woods, who has had about seven years to build his operation out of survival mode, is any better capitalized or connected than Charlie Ebersol was? I don't think so. Woods has cut short seasons for money reasons, just like the AAF did... and he's been just as dishonest about it.

Woods is still around solely because he refused to take enough risks to sink his project... which also means he didn't take enough risks to build a major national profile. He's still in survival mode, given he only has one market.

I want to take you all back to 2001. You know, the original XFL also had an alternative football league that started its season in April: the Arena Football League. Arena ball survived for several years after that. They play in different seasons. Oh, and TSL was around when Vince relaunched the XFL in 2020, too. Vince just kicked a six-figure check to Woods to test the rules changes.

Until I see otherwise, I just don't see how the USFL has the capital to take that next step to be a serious threat to the XFL. Now, admittedly, there are similar issues with how the current XFL ownership will compare to the money McMahon invested... but the XFL made an impact. If not for the 'rona, we'd be talking about them going into season 3 right now. It's already established itself as a viable brand. Brian Woods has established himself as a minor, minor league operator... and it's a lot easier to move down than it is for someone on the bottom to move up.

Let's see who the up-and-comers and out-of-work NFL vets choose before we start boldly calling the USFL an "XFL slayer."
The USFL is owned by fox so I don’t think capital is an issue. And with woods not in full control of this league I think it’s in good shape because for all his problems on the business end of things(and there’s a lot) he is great at finding players and coaches. Not saying it’s an xfl killer but it is the first league that isn’t reliant on anyway on ticket revenue
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:49 pm Here's the link.

https://twitter.com/CallMeNokes/status/ ... 9687397383

Sounds like panic time for XFL with USFL jumping ahead.

All could have been avoided if they took my 2021 Hybrid bubble approach.
Why have a combine in June 2022? Why not wait till USFL over and get those players in early July? All sounds like a cock block SFL battle to me.

502 days from today puts kickoff at 4/18/2023, of course that depends on WHEN photo was taken.

Let the SFL wars begin!!!
Maybe the XFL thinks that when the USFL season ends, players are free to explore NFL opportunities and many USFL players would take a chance on trying to make it on an NFL roster rather than try in the XFL.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

4th&long wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:14 pm
I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, I'm saying they are doing it to cock block interest in the USFL. That's clear.
So are you saying if not for the USFL, the XFL wouldn't be making these announcements? I mean, they HAVE to announce stuff at some point regardless of the USFL's presence, right?
4th&long wrote: Why have a combine in June 2022? Why not wait till USFL over and get those players in early July?
As I wrote in my column (just published on the site), it really depends on what contracts USFL offers. If they lock guys into multi-year deals or prevent escape clauses to join other leagues, the combine date doesn't really matter. Besides, if they DID do it in July to try to poach USFL players, I would've figured THAT would've been more hard evidence that they were truly at "war" with USFL as opposed to doing it DURING the USFL season when they wouldn't be able to take those players.

Consider also that USFL players wouldn't necessarily NEED this XFL combine if they've put enough on tape with the USFL. The combine would ostensibly be for players who have little tape or who haven't played in a while so scouts and coaches can get a better look at them.
@gregmparks
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

Firecop wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:25 pm I said it once and I'll say it again, I am sick and tired of the teases and the "Easter Eggs". All they are doing is further frustrating and pissing off the XFL faithful.

I get it and have agreed in the past as well. Especially the whole, that’s the corner of an NFL logo so what does/doesn’t that mean? No one on the outside has enough information to figure that out for sure and we still don’t. That was and still is annoying and that’s definitely a tease. This didn’t start with DG though, I remember when they teased the team logos right before they unveiled them. They showed just a small portion of each logo and that was about impossible to figure out what they were. I think some people were guessing one of the teams were going to be the spiders.

I didn’t feel yesterday was really teaser though. Was it a league schedule printed off in black and white? No, but I don’t think that’s DG’s style. They did provide us with 3 important dates that weren’t that hard to figure out when they were going to be. I’m more ok with this as long as we have enough information to figure these posts out. Agreed though, it would be nice for them to make official announcements soon after the Instagram posts.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

With the XFL locking down these dates it leads me to believe the teams/cities are more or less in place now. The interesting part will be, which league locks down stadium leases first? Will Metlife and Raymond James Stadium play host to two Spring football leagues? My guess is not likely. Whichever leagues check clears first will have first dibs on those stadiums. Also will be interesting to see what happens in Houston with 2 teams potentially setting up shop there as well.