2023 update

XFL Football discussion.
laxtreme56
Coach

2023 update

Post by laxtreme56 »

Interesting quote here from Gerry Cardinale. https://twitter.com/ByMikeMitchell/stat ... 2352509962

Also from Danny Garcia, “We can't be as transparent as we want to be because of the enormous infrastructure we are working on.” Should be big things coming from XFL land pretty soon.
herns
Head Coach

Re: 2023 update

Post by herns »

laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:53 pm Interesting quote here from Gerry Cardinale. https://twitter.com/ByMikeMitchell/stat ... 2352509962

Also from Danny Garcia, “We can't be as transparent as we want to be because of the enormous infrastructure we are working on.” Should be big things coming from XFL land pretty soon.
It’ll be interesting to watch them and the USFL go about it because they’re literally opposites lol. USFL start small grow big ideas xfl start massive and sustain that
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:53 pm Interesting quote here from Gerry Cardinale. https://twitter.com/ByMikeMitchell/stat ... 2352509962

Talk is cheap. Let's see what they say when or if they say it. Perhaps they to will go with a Hub model too. But Leagues usually don't hide good PR sounds like they are dependent on something before announcing.
HVGuardian
Receiver

Post by HVGuardian »

4th&long wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:20 pm

Talk is cheap. Let's see what they say when or if they say it. Perhaps they to will go with a Hub model too. But Leagues usually don't hide good PR sounds like they are dependent on something before announcing.
Exactly. If they had something to announce then they would. Particularly with a competitor launching soon. I am still skeptical we get the XFL back in 2023 until I’m shown something substantive.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

As I've written before, I think being skeptical at this point is absolutely fair. That said, I'm not sure they'd (Cardinale & Garcia) make the proclamation of info forthcoming if it wasn't to be. They probably just wouldn't have said anything.
@gregmparks
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

If nothing was in the works I'd expect radio silence completely. If they planned to drop the XFL I also think they'd say so as well. It's not like they're selling tons of merchandise by keeping the fans hanging on, these guys (and gals) all have bigger projects than the XFL and their reputation wouldn't be harmed in the least if they dropped the league. I feel they are shooting for a grand slam here. Big markets, more teams, international opportunities, streaming, and making the XFL a hybrid of reality tv and sport is the ultimate goal here. I don't think they signed on for a simple 8 team 10-12 week season that nearly every alternative football league has tried the past 30 years. Will they be successful, maybe, maybe not. If anyone can make it work it's going to be this crew for sure.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:00 am If nothing was in the works I'd expect radio silence completely. If they planned to drop the XFL I also think they'd say so as well. It's not like they're selling tons of merchandise by keeping the fans hanging on, these guys (and gals) all have bigger projects than the XFL and their reputation wouldn't be harmed in the least if they dropped the league. I feel they are shooting for a grand slam here. Big markets, more teams, international opportunities, streaming, and making the XFL a hybrid of reality tv and sport is the ultimate goal here. I don't think they signed on for a simple 8 team 10-12 week season that nearly every alternative football league has tried the past 30 years. Will they be successful, maybe, maybe not. If anyone can make it work it's going to be this crew for sure.
That's alot of supposition IMO. Nothing to date indicates that.

And RBC could not pull off the Super Soccer league. I see them more as an investor then the driver of innovation. At least what I have seen.

Let me put it another way. They bought a brand in XFL that has little value, and certainly isn't required for the grand plan you list. It doesn't make sense. Where did this plan come from? Did it exist prior to their purchase? Not likely. So..

To me it looks alot more like an asset they purchased and are looking at anyway to monetize as their original idea that TV partners would size large contracts didn't pan out. They are trying to leverage the Rock's star power but it hasn't panned out.

Of course - The minute they say "they are investing" or have secured investor cash - Thats an inflection point.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

GregParks wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:54 am As I've written before, I think being skeptical at this point is absolutely fair. That said, I'm not sure they'd (Cardinale & Garcia) make the proclamation of info forthcoming if it wasn't to be. They probably just wouldn't have said anything.
Well she did kinda already do the "If you build it they will come" strategy (minus the build and bordered more on assumption -- i.e. "NBC's ditching the NHL, that means a spot for us, yay!"/"Umm, no"). So hopefully there was a bit of learning there.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:28 am
laxtreme56 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:00 am If nothing was in the works I'd expect radio silence completely. If they planned to drop the XFL I also think they'd say so as well. It's not like they're selling tons of merchandise by keeping the fans hanging on, these guys (and gals) all have bigger projects than the XFL and their reputation wouldn't be harmed in the least if they dropped the league. I feel they are shooting for a grand slam here. Big markets, more teams, international opportunities, streaming, and making the XFL a hybrid of reality tv and sport is the ultimate goal here. I don't think they signed on for a simple 8 team 10-12 week season that nearly every alternative football league has tried the past 30 years. Will they be successful, maybe, maybe not. If anyone can make it work it's going to be this crew for sure.

And RBC could not pull off the Super Soccer league. I see them more as an investor then the driver of innovation. At least what I have seen.

Let me put it another way. They bought a brand in XFL that has little value, and certainly isn't required for the grand plan you list. It doesn't make sense. Where did this plan come from? Did it exist prior to their purchase? Not likely. So..

To me it looks alot more like an asset they purchased and are looking at anyway to monetize as their original idea that TV partners would size large contracts didn't pan out. They are trying to leverage the Rock's star power but it hasn't panned out.

Of course - The minute they say "they are investing" or have secured investor cash - Thats an inflection point.
The reason the European Super League didn't happen was outrage from the European fans rather than financial. It's unlikely to ever happen.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:42 pm
4th&long wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:28 am

The reason the European Super League didn't happen was outrage from the European fans rather than financial. It's unlikely to ever happen.
Understood. My point is they are more of financial org investing in existing properties than driving change/innovation. The super league idea bares that out.