XFL Football discussion.
herns
Head Coach

Re: Commissioner

Post by herns »

GregParks wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:20 pm
4th&long wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:09 pm
herns wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:49 pm

I think it likely means business model but I’ve heard him say expect locations to be different and even some team names, almost think of it as a brand new league and not the xfl
Ok, so can someone tell me why they bought it?
I think that's a fair question. But I also think their intents, timelines, etc. may have changed from when they first bought the league. If you go back and look at the initial reporting upon purchase (which I'm planning on doing for an upcoming column), it's very interesting to see what came to fruition and what didn't. That's one.

Two, they have access to a lot of data and studies the league and McMahon put together when he was considering resurrecting the XFL (I'm assuming that's all part of the purchase). That data, fan interest surveys, etc. may be worth something in rebuilding the league.
Plus the league name xfl has value, it’s why fox is calling their league the USFL because known brands are easier to market, especially when they left on good terms
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:25 pm
4th&long wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:09 pm

Ok, so can someone tell me why they bought it?
I think that's a fair question. But I also think their intents, timelines, etc. may have changed from when they first bought the league. If you go back and look at the initial reporting upon purchase (which I'm planning on doing for an upcoming column), it's very interesting to see what came to fruition and what didn't. That's one.

Two, they have access to a lot of data and studies the league and McMahon put together when he was considering resurrecting the XFL (I'm assuming that's all part of the purchase). That data, fan interest surveys, etc. may be worth something in rebuilding the league.
Plus the league name xfl has value, it’s why fox is calling their league the USFL because known brands are easier to market, especially when they left on good terms
FOX and B Woods also paid $0 for the USFL name.

D/R/Rk paid $15million and another $9mm in assumed liabilities for a name that loses value everyday?
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:05 pm

D/R/Rk paid $15million and another $9mm in assumed liabilities for a name that loses value everyday?
My guess would be they assume the name recognition of the xfl and potentially some of the teams is worth more than $15 million.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

I hope it is just the business model aspect of things. So many things in the 2020 version of the XFL really "worked" for me that I would hate to see them throw out the baby with the bathwster!
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

Firecop wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:47 pm I hope it is just the business model aspect of things. So many things in the 2020 version of the XFL really "worked" for me that I would hate to see them throw out the baby with the bathwster!
I agree, keep the rules the same. If they want to tweak small things rules wise that’s fine but keep them mostly the same. I’d say go back to most of the same markets and since they distantly want some international teams add those and play with 10 or 12
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

$15 million is nothing to Redbird at the end of the day. That money didn't just buy the XFL name, however. It also bought access to season ticket holder accounts, vendor and sponsor agreements, stadium leases, and most importantly, the profits and losses sheet, to see where the money was really coming in from and going to. These are all extremely valuable assets to obtain.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:30 am

$15 million is nothing to Redbird at the end of the day. That money didn't just buy the XFL name, however. It also bought access to season ticket holder accounts, vendor and sponsor agreements, stadium leases, and most importantly, the profits and losses sheet, to see where the money was really coming in from and going to. These are all extremely valuable assets to obtain.
I think you over state their value. Especially if they aren't relaunching timely, which AT BEST they are not. We don't know who fronted the $15mm. Was it split 3 ways or not? The leases, and other contracts were mostly voided along with the TV contracts due to lack of performance, bankruptcy and contract language.

Season ticket holder account 3 years later ? Really? They also could have bought much of this in auction for far less. If they were relaunching as XFL 2.1 timely maybe - but they didn't.

Let's be honest, they bought it with the expectation of a quick TV deal and relaunch, they had the XFL ratings and the Rock... what could go wrong? Plenty apparently. While they spent $15mm they haven't spent much more since. They are now trying to figure out what to do with this investment. But the Iron is no longer hot and its 2021 and they won't be playing till at least 2023. It will be ice cold by then.

There best bet now would be to team up with the USFL, make a splash, etc... but that would still require them to invest. Something they have shown no interest in doing. Perhaps they will.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:16 am
laxtreme56 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:30 am

I think you over state their value. Especially if they aren't relaunching timely, which AT BEST they are not. We don't know who fronted the $15mm. Was it split 3 ways or not? The leases, and other contracts were mostly voided along with the TV contracts due to lack of performance, bankruptcy and contract language.

Season ticket holder account 3 years later ? Really? They also could have bought much of this in auction for far less. If they were relaunching as XFL 2.1 timely maybe - but they didn't.

Let's be honest, they bought it with the expectation of a quick TV deal and relaunch, they had the XFL ratings and the Rock... what could go wrong? Plenty apparently. While they spent $15mm they haven't spent much more since. They are now trying to figure out what to do with this investment. But the Iron is no longer hot and its 2021 and they won't be playing till at least 2023. It will be ice cold by then.

There best bet now would be to team up with the USFL, make a splash, etc... but that would still require them to invest. Something they have shown no interest in doing. Perhaps they will.
I think if the USFL shows a good first season it’s possible they could merge. I think that if the news roll out comes and it’s interesting the interest will heat up, not the USFL doing great could take their market
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

It’s hard to say if we will ever know the true value of the original $15 mil and if it was smart, or at least we won’t know until the league restarts and see then what remains. No question the data is becoming less valuable and legit as the weeks roll by but we can’t really put a value on the teams. If a team doesn’t come back it really doesn’t have much value. If a team like St. Louis comes back and people turn their back on it then it isn’t worth much either. If St. Louis comes back like it did the first time, then you have a money maker. The Battlehawks brand was taking off in a big way in that city and they had the tv numbers to back that up.

I am in complete agreement with GP about the initial plans changing since the original purchase. Interviews with DG early on prove that. One interview said that they were going to keep a lot of things the same as VM. She mentioned infrastructure and leadership specifically. Those are two areas that have clearly changed now.

I wanted the XFL product to return in the form it was as well but I don’t think it will. Mike Mitchell has been consistently reporting that it won’t hardly resemble the 2020 league at all. As tight lipped as the league has been, it’s clear they want that message out there. DG wasn’t shy about dropping hints of a more global feel. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the CFL talk heat back up. If those leagues combined with a few hot US markets, coupled with a few new international teams, this would be a way that ties that international angle to the league coming back but being much different than it was before.

Also that could make the USFL different enough from XFL 3.0 where both leagues weren’t as much in direct competition at least market wise. Who knows? Maybe Fox’s USFL vision of having 8 teams all in the US will be much closer to XFL 2.0 than XFL 3.0 is going to be. Otherwise we are going to have two leagues in direct competition with each other.I might be way off the mark here but this was just some scenarios I have been thinking about in trying to piece this together. I just get the feeling the new XFL is going in a completely different direction. Maybe one that’s not been tried before.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

It's been hinted that the XFL-CFL talks will resume in some capacity at the conclusion of the CFL season. Toronto is in first place, undefeated at home, and just drew a franchise low crowd of 6k a week ago. MLSE can't be too happy with their investment right now.

As for where the new XFL may differ from McMahon's version, I can see them emphasizing the game day experience a bit more. XFL 2020 did a 180 from it's predecessor by eliminating cheerleaders, mascots, and much of the off field entertainment. While the focus should be on football first, the GameDay experience could be improved upon a bit here. Remember, XFL 2001 averaged 24k fans a game, 2020 just over 18k. At $30 a ticket that loss off 6k fans is $180k of lost revenue per game right there.