XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Commissioner

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:18 pm
4th&long wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:06 am
GregParks wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:30 am

My reading of it, and confirmed by Mike's report, is that Pollack's responsibilities on the financial side will be absorbed by RedBird and they're looking to hire someone to oversee the actual football part of the league. That would not be a replacement for Pollack, but more of a replacement for Oliver Luck. Regardless of semantics about whether it's a replacement for someone or not, a new major hire of any kind is a sign the league is moving forward (if the hire is indeed made. Nothing's final until it's announced!).
I read the article too. Regardless they are 15 months away for 2023 season with nothing visible and no staff (more or less). Perhaps they are working behind the scenes but it looks like a cost savings measure. Since nothing is happening right now there's not much for RBC to absorb.

I'll be honest, talk of NBC (which owns USA) possibly televising USFL games next year - is not a good sign for XFL/NBC. ESPN/ABC now has NHL and NBA with still some MLB. So wondering what they are looking at for that "lucrative tv contract"

Granted there is now all this streaming time to fill from NBC and ESPN+ etc, but its not as clear as it was pre-USFL birmingham announcement.

Also - at some point when the rubber hits the road - I do not want to see a SFL competition. That's what hurt the AAF badly. They rushed and over extended themselves (even with it being a snake oil show). XFL scared them into over paying and adding 2 teams too many etc...
There’s also the chance they partner with a streaming company and not cable, maybe they become part of the proposed MLB, nba, and NHL app. Maybe it’s Amazon, Netflix, or HBO
I did mention streaming in my post but being on Boradcast TV or larger subscriber cable is a much bigger and easier draw of eye balls than pay to view streaming. ANd much higher profile