Eric Galko idea about XFL 2020 waiver system

XFL Football discussion.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Eric Galko idea about XFL 2020 waiver system

Post by GregParks »

We're circling the drain on the XFL dead zone, so here's something I thought was interesting: Former XFL Director of Player Personnel Eric Galko revealed today on Twitter an idea he had about how the XFL's waiver system could've worked.

https://twitter.com/EricGalko/status/14 ... 0759929858

"Fun fact: I tried to have the fantasy football "FAAB" concept in the #XFL.

I wanted every team to have the chance to add new players for talent and/or geographic reasons. Plus, would've created a non-player, non-draft pick trade asset.

In the end, I got vetoed. Too radical."

https://twitter.com/EricGalko/status/14 ... 93/photo/1

If someone could embed that photo into this post, I'd appreciate it.

Basically it sounds like the waiver system would work like bidding on players in fantasy drafts. Given that the teams had no previous year's records to draw from in setting the waiver priority order, this would've been kinda cool. One of those easy ways the league could've differentiated itself from the NFL, even if it was more in a behind-the-scenes way.
@gregmparks
Sounder
Coach

Re: Eric Galko idea about XFL 2020 waiver system

Post by Sounder »

I especially like the emphasis on geographical talent, this was a concept the original USFL had as a means to generate local interest...in order to grab attention, they need to be an alternative.....something the NFL isn't. The original AFL did it with rules variations, a wider open game, and things like colorful officials, to make it look different than the nfl. The XFL already has the rule changes, a territorial lean on players would be good, a shorter game, not only the 25 second clock, but 12 minute quarters for a shorter 48 minute game could make it a two hour affair, that'd help get tv interested...just a couple things I'm throwin out there.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Eric Galko idea about XFL 2020 waiver system

Post by GregParks »

The territorial selections are something the original XFL had and an idea I liked for this version of the XFL, but I know it was ruled out because certain territories have stronger college programs than others so it would unfairly tilt the balance in some ways. At least, that was for the initial draft...whether they'd be able to do it for in-season signings, I think that might be a little more complicated.
@gregmparks