XFL News lacking, Interest waning ?

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

XFL News lacking, Interest waning ?

Post by 4th&long »

XFLnewshub's Mark Perry is taking an "XFL break"
https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-podcast/show-115/

the_markcasts Reid Johnson is also focusing more on CFL action as they are playing games "let's move on" "all in CFL for the moment"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEgm5Olbp4c

And both will be shifting 100% back to XFL focus if league news breaks and revs up

And MM is still the true insider, and as long as he's still reporting on the league, there's at least a glimmer of hope.

And same goes for USFL... which imo is way more likely than XFL at this point. Not saying its an XFL 2.0 league but its at least likely to be a pumped up TSL 2021.

And with CFB starting this w/e and NFL preseason and both fully launching in Sept - its FOOTBALL TIME Baby!
Firecop
Coach

Re: XFL News lacking, Interest waning ?

Post by Firecop »

The silence, as they say, is DEAFENING! GO Huskies, Go Seahawks!
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Even FCF is pretty quiet right now, just promoting their guys playing in other leagues. It looks like that talk of a fall season has evaporated for them.

It's so weird. It's as if for the past several months, there've been leagues jockeying to get into the spotlight over each other... and now... the air has been let out of everything. We'll be lucky to have ANY sort of spring football this year if this is the path we're headed.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:33 pm Even FCF is pretty quiet right now, just promoting their guys playing in other leagues. It looks like that talk of a fall season has evaporated for them.

It's so weird. It's as if for the past several months, there've been leagues jockeying to get into the spotlight over each other... and now... the air has been let out of everything. We'll be lucky to have ANY sort of spring football this year if this is the path we're headed.
I think the USFL will be moving forward. Clearly Fox liked what it saw in TSL 2020 and especially 2021 and green lighted the step up from TSL. The question is what form will it take on the TSL>>>XFL scale.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

There is nothing XFL related to talk about, as you know! (As if I need to tell you that)

It will be a cool thing when the league makes a pertinent announcement in respect to XFL2023. Or will their next announcement be XFL2024, or XFL2025, or more? We wait to see.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

I've pretty much given up on any chance Dwayne does anything with this...no one is gonna give him a paying deal if that's what he's needing. But any chance an XFL franchise or two or three could turn up in the USFL?
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Sounder wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:18 pm I've pretty much given up on any chance Dwayne does anything with this...no one is gonna give him a paying deal if that's what he's needing. But any chance an XFL franchise or two or three could turn up in the USFL?
Possible in Stlouis - But likely? If they did it it would mean XFL was selling IP cheap and closing up shop, and two the USFL would only do it to create buzz. They may prefer their own name to sell fresh merch. But in St L I could see their return creating a buzz.
HVGuardian
Receiver

Post by HVGuardian »

Sad. I really enjoyed XFL 2.0 and even bought some merch but I’ve given up. I no longer believe the XFL will return under the current ownership group.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

I think when the league pushed the return date back to 2023, it sucked the remaining interest out of a lot of the fans that were still casually checking in. I can’t blame anyone for giving up hope they will ever return. I said in an earlier post that it appears XFL 3.0 has no interest in keeping the fans it had. Over the last year, I don’t think anyone can argue, that the new ownership group deserves an F in fan engagement and transparency.

Maybe there is a lot the league couldn’t share with us but a Happy 4th of July, or maybe a recognition of Memorial Day would have gone a long way in letting us know there’s still people in the building. This silence on everything over the last almost 6 months paints a fairly dark picture about the league’s future. I’m also keeping an eye out for any news on Jeffrey Pollack. I would think he, more than anyone, would know if there’s any hope or not. If he suddenly jumps ship, that could signal an official end is coming.

However, if the league comes back in 2023 we are realistically 18 months out at least. We are only around the time OL was hired for XFL 2.0, around 20 months from kickoff. I’m not saying the new ownership would follow XFL 2.0’s timeline but it certainly is possible it’s too early for their plan, to make a hire right now.

I also think there could be more to this CFL deal. I’m waiting until December or January to see if something comes out then. I’m not yet convinced that’s completely dead just maybe out of the headlines right now, until the season is over. Not trying to give a pep talk here just kind of throwing my thoughts out.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Gopher123 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:07 am I think when the league pushed the return date back to 2023, it sucked the remaining interest out of a lot of the fans that were still casually checking in. I can’t blame anyone for giving up hope they will ever return. I said in an earlier post that it appears XFL 3.0 has no interest in keeping the fans it had. Over the last year, I don’t think anyone can argue, that the new ownership group deserves an F in fan engagement and transparency.

Maybe there is a lot the league couldn’t share with us but a Happy 4th of July, or maybe a recognition of Memorial Day would have gone a long way in letting us know there’s still people in the building. This silence on everything over the last almost 6 months paints a fairly dark picture about the league’s future. I’m also keeping an eye out for any news on Jeffrey Pollack. I would think he, more than anyone, would know if there’s any hope or not. If he suddenly jumps ship, that could signal an official end is coming.

However, if the league comes back in 2023 we are realistically 18 months out at least. We are only around the time OL was hired for XFL 2.0, around 20 months from kickoff. I’m not saying the new ownership would follow XFL 2.0’s timeline but it certainly is possible it’s too early for their plan, to make a hire right now.

I also think there could be more to this CFL deal. I’m waiting until December or January to see if something comes out then. I’m not yet convinced that’s completely dead just maybe out of the headlines right now, until the season is over. Not trying to give a pep talk here just kind of throwing my thoughts out.
As I said from 10/1/20 on based on new ownership no going 2021 - The XFL not playing, even a hybrid bubble short season was a bad sign. Then the next day Fox signed a deal with the TSL and threw together a fall 2020 season in a matter of weeks. That was another bad sign that Fox didnt have confidence. Followed by what can only be called a big success considering TSL objective in summer 2020. MM reported the new group was going to spend money w/o a "lucrative" tv contract in hand. They bet on the Rock's network appeal. Since then NBCSN pulled the plug and ESPN signed on to NHL and Fox has TSL/USFL, and Amazon got into the NFL orbit.
Why buy a 5 week old league and bench it for 3yrs? What is the value prop in doing that? Out-of-sight = Out-of-mind. They have lost any goodwill and brand recognition once they delayed to 2022 and did nothing.

They went to the CFL with big name and empty wallets looking for money. CFL said no thanks.

Could things change? Sure. But IMO unlikely. MM says by YE or early 2022 Q1. They apparently still have people on the payroll so its not dead yet.

Did the Rock just want to show up VM who was ready to buy back in auction and likely would have made a XFL 2.1? Or was this pipe dream trying to leverage Rocks brand? Maybe, maybe. But as I said last yr, likely just keep pushing it off till people forget and minimize their PR damage, which will be litlle in 2023.