CFL ESPN Deal & Schedule

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

CFL ESPN Deal & Schedule

Post by 4th&long »

ESPN adds more CFL...

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-rele ... -schedule/

>> ESPN networks and ESPN+ will document the return of the Canadian Football League (CFL), offering fans in the United States access to all 68 games in 2021, starting with tomorrow’s season-opener: a 2019 Grey Cup rematch between the champion Winnipeg Blue Bombers and the Hamilton Tiger-Cats at 8:30 p.m. ET on ESPN2.

As part of a multi-year agreement, ESPN2, ESPNEWS and ESPN+ will combine to present every CFL game live, culminating with the Semi-Finals, Finals and 108th Grey Cup on Dec. 12. The 2021 schedule features 14 games for each team, which includes Thursday night games in the summer, Friday night football each week and Saturday night games throughout the season.

ESPN’s four decades-long relationship with the CFL originated in 1980 with a contest between the CFL’s Toronto Argonauts and Montreal Alouettes; it was the first live football telecast in ESPN’s history. <<
laxtreme56
Coach

Re: CFL ESPN Deal & Schedule

Post by laxtreme56 »

Isn't that pretty much the same deal they've had the last 5 years? In fact they would get the occasional game on the flagship ESPN, but not anymore. Just as before, once the NFL starts the CFL is relegated to streaming and ESPN News. Apparently there is a small rights fee ($250-500k) which would barely cover the cost of the average CFL starting quarterback
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:52 pm Isn't that pretty much the same deal they've had the last 5 years? In fact they would get the occasional game on the flagship ESPN, but not anymore. Just as before, once the NFL starts the CFL is relegated to streaming and ESPN News. Apparently there is a small rights fee ($250-500k) which would barely cover the cost of the average CFL starting quarterback
I think you're correct. The deal say multiyear not new, though they could renegotiate....

Let's face it, now that the big media companies have moved into streaming (shock) sans FOX and even they have sports live, there is even MORE airtime to fill to justify these increased customer costs (yes streaming has added but reduced costs to consumer in practical terms). So ESPN can easily suck up the CFL at low cost and fill broadcast and stream times.

As far as TV deal - even one USA team would help American interest in CFL.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

laxtreme56 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:52 pm Isn't that pretty much the same deal they've had the last 5 years? In fact they would get the occasional game on the flagship ESPN, but not anymore. Just as before, once the NFL starts the CFL is relegated to streaming and ESPN News. Apparently there is a small rights fee ($250-500k) which would barely cover the cost of the average CFL starting quarterback
I'd thought the 9/30/18 Riders/Als game (with Johnny Manziel starting) got bumped over to ESPN, with Baker Mayfield making his first start (in Oak) as well and they did that dumbass 'Letter to Baker' thing on Countdown but it stayed on ESPN2. Actually that segment was so totally roasted that it probably would have hurt it even more if it had moved.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

4th&long wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:53 pm
I think you're correct. The deal say multiyear not new, though they could renegotiate....

Let's face it, now that the big media companies have moved into streaming (shock) sans FOX and even they have sports live, there is even MORE airtime to fill to justify these increased customer costs (yes streaming has added but reduced costs to consumer in practical terms). So ESPN can easily suck up the CFL at low cost and fill broadcast and stream times.

As far as TV deal - even one USA team would help American interest in CFL.
I meant to say Streaming has Added NOT reduced costs to the consumer.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:43 am
I'd thought the 9/30/18 Riders/Als game (with Johnny Manziel starting) got bumped over to ESPN, with Baker Mayfield making his first start (in Oak) as well and they did that dumbass 'Letter to Baker' thing on Countdown but it stayed on ESPN2. Actually that segment was so totally roasted that it probably would have hurt it even more if it had moved.
That was the highest rated CFL game in ESPN history or at least a very long time if I recall.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

Apparently the Johnny Football debut was on the Deuce and scored large ratings.https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/johnny ... espn2.html

CFL ratings have seemed to drop in recent years however, the Grey Cup which would draw close to 250k viewers is now in the 100-125k range. It's just filler for ESPN so I doubt they really care too much, but obviously CFL interest in the states wanes significantly once the NFL is playing. Had an XFL-CFL merger happened, I'd say there was a less than 10% chance we'd be seeing any games past early September at the latest.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:29 am Apparently the Johnny Football debut was on the Deuce and scored large ratings.https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/johnny ... espn2.html

CFL ratings have seemed to drop in recent years however, the Grey Cup which would draw close to 250k viewers is now in the 100-125k range. It's just filler for ESPN so I doubt they really care too much, but obviously CFL interest in the states wanes significantly once the NFL is playing. Had an XFL-CFL merger happened, I'd say there was a less than 10% chance we'd be seeing any games past early September at the latest.
That's what I remembered. Better than MLS!
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Well, nominally a small rights fee. But keep in mind, it's largely a package deal with ESPN and its sister network TSN in Canada. Combined, the deal offers into the tens of millions, and the TSN side covers all the production expenses.
4th&long
MVP

CFL game on Aug 14th on ESPNEWS

Post by 4th&long »

Sat, Aug 14 10 p.m. Hamilton Tiger-Cats vs. Saskatchewan Roughriders ESPNEWS