BUFFALO BILLS possible move - Austin #1 target

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

BUFFALO BILLS possible move - Austin #1 target

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.outkick.com/buffalo-bills-r ... to-austin/

>>Reported Sunday, Terry and Kim Pegula, proprietors of the Buffalo Bills, announced that they would be seeking full funding of a new stadium for the Bills through taxpayers’ money. Talks between the Pegula’s and New York State took a turn when the ownership announced — shortly after their taxpayer-centered proposition — that the team would consider moving to Austin if their bid is not accepted.<<

There goes Spring FB in Austin, HELLO Buffalo! (and that's after Texas joining SEC news!).

Oh and the NFL will approve it because their long vision is on Toronto and that won't happen with the Bills in Buffalo. Why go XFL when you can go NFL ... says Toronto Argos. If smart CFL should look to get a fee of $100-200mm to give up the name to NFL and not cause a ruckus. Just looking in the crystal ball but you can see where this could go... will NY lose NFL team #3. Its up to Gov "I'm great!' Cuomo. I hope they find a way to keep them.

Oh and the Rock's movie bombed... What a W/E!
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: BUFFALO BILLS possible move - Austin #1 target

Post by GregParks »

Feel like we're getting the cart way, WAY ahead of the horse here. The Pegulas' statement seems more like an opening salvo in negotiations than anything else. I'm from the Western New York area and know how much the Bills mean to WNY and Buffalo...the city isn't just going to let the Bills walk. To complicate matters, the Pegulas also own the Buffalo Sabres so I'm not sure how that'd work if they left for Austin.
4th&long wrote:Oh and the Rock's movie bombed... What a W/E!
I can't believe I have to do this, but by no means did the movie bomb. It was ahead of expectations per Variety (https://variety.com/2021/film/box-offic ... 1235032143) and at worst did "okay" per the Hollywood Reporter (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 234991247/), still pulling in $90 million when taking into account overseas and Disney+ viewership. Pre-pandemic, yeah, you could call it a bomb, but the math is different now especially with streaming being added in. But please, don't let facts get in the way of taking another bizarre shot at the XFL's ownership group.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:45 pm Feel like we're getting the cart way, WAY ahead of the horse here. The Pegulas' statement seems more like an opening salvo in negotiations than anything else. I'm from the Western New York area and know how much the Bills mean to WNY and Buffalo...the city isn't just going to let the Bills walk. To complicate matters, the Pegulas also own the Buffalo Sabres so I'm not sure how that'd work if they left for Austin.
4th&long wrote:Oh and the Rock's movie bombed... What a W/E!
I can't believe I have to do this, but by no means did the movie bomb. It was ahead of expectations per Variety (https://variety.com/2021/film/box-offic ... 1235032143) and at worst did "okay" per the Hollywood Reporter (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 234991247/), still pulling in $90 million when taking into account overseas and Disney+ viewership. Pre-pandemic, yeah, you could call it a bomb, but the math is different now especially with streaming being added in. But please, don't let facts get in the way of taking another bizarre shot at the XFL's ownership group.
Agreed on Buffalo, but like the Raiders - I can see this as a legit bluff, and we know on this site that NFL wants to expand outside of the USA and Toronto wants an NFL team and MLSE's Toronto Argos want in (minority share holder) in a Bills turned Argo's. I know people from Buffalo and you are right the Bills are HUGE for them. But lets face it, its a stagnant market and Pegulas are going to go for the $$$, so they have the leverage. And by making this announcement early it is more than an opening salvo, its an invitation to other cities to bid. Hopefully NY will respond in a positive.

As far as Jungle Cruise - Maybe it didn't Bomb but it way under performed (despite the media spin) at $32mm (look at Black Widow $80mm) - yes it had $30mm in streaming worldwide but that only hurts ticket sales in future weeks as that is for a $29.99 and that's a household- so $91mm world wide (stream and boxoffice) for a big star? Not good and I don't see this holding well (ala Space Jam'd), but we'll see.

Back to the Bills - I don't want the Bills to move but this could play into USFL/XFL decisions on team locations - the lease ends in what a year?

FYI ....

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... ills-move/

>> Austin City Council members not aware of possible Bills move <<
Last edited by 4th&long on Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

4th&long wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:36 pm

Back to the Bills - I don't want the Bills to move but this could play into USFL/XFL decisions on team locations - the lease ends in what a year?
This may be a rhetorical question, but their lease ends in 2023. I'm not sure if that means at the very beginning of that year, or if it's after the 2023 season. Not sure how they are usually set up.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:45 pm

This may be a rhetorical question, but their lease ends in 2023. I'm not sure if that means at the very beginning of that year, or if it's after the 2023 season. Not sure how they are usually set up.

Check out my update of prior post - >>Austin City Council members not aware of possible Bills move<<
Here it is again
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... ills-move/

Clearly Pegula is using this to broadcast to cities that he's looking for a potential new home, will a city step up to play along which may just end up going no where if NY state caves into demands? Let the games begin.

Not sure either about the lease, but it could be just 18 months away.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

GregParks wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:45 pm

It's in 2023, as in after the end of the 2022 season and before the start of 2023.

As for Buffalo, it's too small for the XFL's business model, even with the rabid fan base. So even in the highly unlikely scenario that the Bills leave (and with it the Sabres), they're not getting an XFL franchise.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I think there's little chance the Bills relocate to Austin. But if they did leave, the big hurdle for an XFL team would be the weather, assuming the season remains in Feb-Apr. It would actually make a lot more sense for CFL expansion, if we were operating in a world where they aspired to grow.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

Poor Ralph Wilson....he'd be rolling in his grave if his Bills leave. After all he's meant to Buffalo and all he did to help the AFL weather the early years including loaning the Oakland Raiders 400,000 in 1960 dollars to stay afloat...otherwise they fold. Bad idea to have a third team in Texas and it would add another small tv market.