G. Parks interview on The_Markcast

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

G. Parks interview on The_Markcast

Post by 4th&long »

Good interview with XFL Boards Greg Parks on The_Markcast...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aBfq9Lf_zM&t=3606s

Brought up a couple points we banter about on here including what was the XFL looking to get from CFL? Money, expertise in running the league?

Its worth a look, the show is segmented to find GP's interview, and Reid does a good job interviewing.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: G. Parks interview on The_Markcast

Post by GregParks »

Thanks for the plug. Only wish we had something more substantial to talk about.

On the CFL/XFL talks, I wish I had mentioned the XFL’s desire to go international. It wasn’t something heavily discussed by fans/analysts while talks were ongoing, but with the XFL’s statement after talks ended combined with Mike Mitchell’s reporting on Mexico City and Toronto being possibilities for 2023, I think getting an international foothold was a big part of the talks.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:35 pm Thanks for the plug. Only wish we had something more substantial to talk about.

On the CFL/XFL talks, I wish I had mentioned the XFL’s desire to go international. It wasn’t something heavily discussed by fans/analysts while talks were ongoing, but with the XFL’s statement after talks ended combined with Mike Mitchell’s reporting on Mexico City and Toronto being possibilities for 2023, I think getting an international foothold was a big part of the talks.
No Prob, it was good.

I also think getting MLSE to contribute and share in the CFL's current TV package was a big part of the deal. That's when the deal collapsed as CFL is not seeing the commitment on the XFL side.

They (D/R/Rk) do not seem to want to put out the money like VM. Like I quote and the board discusses - per MM article RBC said they won't invest a dime without a lucrative TV deal. You mentioned it in interview I think. It seems to be the one thing no one wants to accept or really tackle- but all the actions certainly point to it as the log jam.

Hopefully, as you mentioned, now that D/R/Rk have exhausted their latest business idea perhaps they will now decide to drop some money to move this forward. If not they should abandon the project openly IMO.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

The one thing I was never clear about in regards to "international" was, were they referring to international cities with teams or international players in terms of talent. One can only assume they were referring to teams in other countries, at least Mexico and Canada; not much else would really make economic sense. Still virtually everything they say is shadowed in vague ambiguity and open to interpretation and speculation...
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Firecop wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:16 pm The one thing I was never clear about in regards to "international" was, were they referring to international cities with teams or international players in terms of talent. One can only assume they were referring to teams in other countries, at least Mexico and Canada; not much else would really make economic sense. Still virtually everything they say is shadowed in vague ambiguity and open to interpretation and speculation...
That's a fair question; certainly could be both. They could go hand-in-hand. I think you're correct that teams makes the most economic sense and would be a more plausible reason for the league holding back both in news and kickoff more so than just seeking international players.
@gregmparks