CFL Argo's could leave CFL for US based league

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

CFL Argo's could leave CFL for US based league

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.thestar.com/sports/football ... e-cfl.html

>> At first glance, it would appear the company has three options to consider moving forward:

-- Having Toronto join the XFL when the spring league resumes play in 2023 because it’s much easier to reach a deal with one team rather than a nine-franchise league.

-- Selling the Argos in time for the 2022 season.

-- Continue owning the franchise and negotiating a better business model/structure for the CFL moving forward given that teams in its biggest markets -- Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver -- are struggling. Trouble is, the league is unique in that it has three different models in place with community-owned teams (Winnipeg, Saskatchewan, Edmonton), those that are privately owned (Hamilton, B.C. and Montreal) and three owned by conglomerates (Toronto, Calgary and Ottawa). <<

PFT linked to it in ab article as well.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... ventually/

We'll see what happens but I think this is more venting and alerting the rest of the CFL to get act together than anything else. I Also don't see them leaving in 2023 - why not let the XFL show they will be a success first.... If they ever play.
laxtreme56
Coach

Re: CFL Argo's could leave CFL for US based league

Post by laxtreme56 »

It will be interesting to hear MLSE response, or lack thereof to these rumors. If they come out and emphatically deny it, well then on the surface I'll take them at face value. If, on the other hand, we get a "we're focusing on a successful 2021 season at the moment" type response, well then something may be cooking. I agree that 2023 may not be the time for them to bounce, let's see what they draw this year (I'm predicting announced crowds of 10-12k) and if there's a windfall in legalized CFL gambling (most likely not.) They could also just sell the franchise back to the league and start up a Toronto Northmen or whatever nickname of the week they want. Few Torontonians under the age of 40 care about the Argos or their history.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

As I noted in the thread where this was initially brought up, there are some major issues that would need to be resolved:

-In going to the XFL, the Argos would be going to a centrally-owned league. Would the XFL be looking to sell of individual franchises to other owners, so MLSE keeps the Argos? Or would MLSE sell to the XFL so that the Argos would be under the league-owned umbrella?
-Would MLSE "buy into" the XFL by "selling" the Argos to the league, making it Garcia/Johnson/RedBird/MLSE?

It's A LOT more complicated, from my perspective, than the Argos simply "joining" the XFL.
@gregmparks
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I think the Argos getting out of the CFL would probably be much more complicated than getting into the XFL. There's plenty of ways to slice MLSE and XFL joining forces, but if everyone is on board then I don't see why it would be too hard to pull off. But getting out of the CFL would surely trigger a legal fight, I would think.

I feel like the Argonauts defecting would actually be an even wilder outcome than a full blown merger. That would be crazy. I'm sure 4th&long is doing a victory dance right now.

However, that article doesn't say that any sources have indicated that this is on the table. This is just something the authors are throwing out as a possibility, right?
Last edited by Tank55 on Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Regardless, the next CFL offseason is going to be bonkers.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Also, in our new XFL vs. USFL slapfight, poaching THE ACTUAL TORONTO ARGONAUTS completely blows "secures the rights to the old USFL names and logos" out of the water. Holy shit.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:40 pm I think the Argos getting out of the CFL would probably be much more complicated than getting into the XFL. There's plenty of ways to slice MLSE and XFL joining forces, but if everyone is on board then I don't see why it would be too hard to pull off. But getting out of the CFL would surely trigger a legal fight, I would think.

I feel like the Argonauts defecting would actually be an even wilder outcome than a full blown merger. That would be crazy. I'm sure 4th&long is doing a victory dance right now.

However, that article doesn't say that any sources have indicated that this is on the table. This is just something the authors are throwing out as a possibility, right?
I've been dancing alot lately (YEAH!) - the big markets being just icing on cake !

Seriously - IF I were the Argos or the CFL, I'd WAIT to see if the XFL is really going to pull this off, and if so after 2-3 years - then merger/buy in. Because we have yet to see Team XFL spend any money other than when pitching their deal to the CFL.

If say 2023 comes and the XFL season goes off as planned and goes well enough, CFL or Argos could then revisit any partnership. IMO a league in name only was a weak hand on many levels for the XFL to negotiate from and was asking to much from the CFL to merge with.

Also of note TSN's Naylor did allude to the fact the the game likely would be more American style if they merged (Gridiron poscast) so this was a one way ticket, "all in" for CFL.