XFL officially delays start until 2023

XFL Football discussion.
Tank55
MVP

Re: XFL officially delays start until 2023

Post by Tank55 »

Firecop wrote: ↑Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:14 amI can't speak for anyone else on this board but the league that actually fields a team will get my support (and dollars) and right now that is most likely to be the USFL.
As should ALWAYS be the case with startup football leagues, believe it when you see it. McMahon was the exception to the rule that is: give no one the benefit of the doubt. I think I'd agree that the USFL is more likely to take the field, since Woods does have an established track record of putting football players on the football field. But wether it's something worth caring about is an entirely different topic, and one where Woods hasn't yet earned any credibility (at least in my book).

I know this is far from where we were pre-pandemic, but it's still exciting to see multiple ventures trying to make a run at it. Sure as hell beats that dead period between the UFL's demise and the AAF/XFL showdown.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Tank55 wrote: ↑Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:49 am
Firecop wrote: ↑Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:14 amI can't speak for anyone else on this board but the league that actually fields a team will get my support (and dollars) and right now that is most likely to be the USFL.
As should ALWAYS be the case with startup football leagues, believe it when you see it. McMahon was the exception to the rule that is: give no one the benefit of the doubt. I think I'd agree that the USFL is more likely to take the field, since Woods does have an established track record of putting football players on the football field. But wether it's something worth caring about is an entirely different topic, and one where Woods hasn't yet earned any credibility (at least in my book).

I know this is far from where we were pre-pandemic, but it's still exciting to see multiple ventures trying to make a run at it. Sure as hell beats that dead period between the UFL's demise and the AAF/XFL showdown.

And don't forget MLFB, whose site is half investor info and SEC filings,
oh and a sternly worded letter about the USFL and TSL that looks like something Eric Bischoff would have come up with during the Monday night wars. Makes you long for the days they photoshopped Dick Vitale holding an MLFB banner and Duke Riley as if he was about to be their number one pick, don't it?πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: ↑Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:49 am

We will have 4 years of Spring Alt FB in the USA come next season with the USFL. AAF-2019, XFL-2020, TSL-2021, USFL-2022.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I'm definitely forgetting MLFB. I recommend everyone else do the same.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

4th&long wrote: ↑Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:19 am We will have 4 years of Spring Alt FB in the USA come next season with the USFL. AAF-2019, XFL-2020, TSL-2021, USFL-2022.
I'd say FCF was more the "Spring Alt FB" league of 2021 in terms of attention, star power, and drafting off the end of the NFL seasonβ€”though they're admittedly their own... um... "beast." TSL has been around the whole time.

In any sense, we've been lucky to have this much.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Tank55 wrote: ↑Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:51 pm I'm definitely forgetting MLFB. I recommend everyone else do the same.
Thanks for reminding me. :roll: :mrgreen:

I did a quick search just to see what they're up to and the first thing that comes up is their stock price... hovering at about 2Β’ a share!
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

I thought FOX made the TSL games on Saturdays look really good presentation wise,. kinda like the XFL games of 2020....so I'm thinking this USFL with brandings at least older fans know, and younger ones can attach too...with the expected lot of not yet ready for NFL players would potentially do a million viewers and that would please FOX.
The only way I see the XFL as it was getting back on the field is if Vince gains a passion for it again and can reacquire it from Dwayne perhaps. They're going nowhere with it.
HVGuardian
Receiver

Post by HVGuardian »

Sounder wrote: ↑Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:35 pm I thought FOX made the TSL games on Saturdays look really good presentation wise,. kinda like the XFL games of 2020....so I'm thinking this USFL with brandings at least older fans know, and younger ones can attach too...with the expected lot of not yet ready for NFL players would potentially do a million viewers and that would please FOX.
The only way I see the XFL as it was getting back on the field is if Vince gains a passion for it again and can reacquire it from Dwayne perhaps. They're going nowhere with it.
Unfortunately, I have to agree. I was a huge XFL 2.0 fan but even I have checked out at this point due to a lack of progress/news.

Originally, I was very excited that The Rock, RBC, and DG bought the XFL and I was confident it would return. As time goes by, it feels more and more mike my faith was misplaced.

I’m going all in on the USFL, at least for now. I feel pretty good about them actually playing football which is a lot more than I can say about the XFL….
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

HVGuardian wrote: ↑Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:37 am
Sounder wrote: ↑Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:35 pm I thought FOX made the TSL games on Saturdays look really good presentation wise,. kinda like the XFL games of 2020....so I'm thinking this USFL with brandings at least older fans know, and younger ones can attach too...with the expected lot of not yet ready for NFL players would potentially do a million viewers and that would please FOX.
Unfortunately, I have to agree. I was a huge XFL 2.0 fan but even I have checked out at this point due to a lack of progress/news.

Originally, I was very excited that The Rock, RBC, and DG bought the XFL and I was confident it would return. As time goes by, it feels more and more mike my faith was misplaced.

I’m going all in on the USFL, at least for now. I feel pretty good about them actually playing football which is a lot more than I can say about the XFL….
The XFL 3.0 team of DG/RBC/Rk need to start spending... something they have not yet done. In fact all they said and we've heard is that they need a "lucrative" media rights deal before they spend any money. That has to change or I don't see them moving forward.

As far as USFL. We don't know how it will be structured. It could run the gammit of a straight up rebrand of the TSL 2021 model to AAF/XFL like league. I think it will be in the middle and likely all focused on cost.

I could see them targeting 30-40% the cost of AAF/XFL during games and camp. That would mean $30-40mm a year or less. But it could be less.

Comparing to AAF/XFL: Look for smaller rosters and coaching staffs, no team GMs, shorter camp, less weekly player pay (or none), joint front/back offices, some teams may be pure travel to start, shorter season (8 games), remote/virtual TV announcers like TSL, using NFL training refs, in field and on jersey advertising, low priced tickets and plenty of promos, less expensive coaches-or paying them less, minimizing flight travel by team placement, reserve players at reduced cost,etc...
If they can pull off a season for $35mm this will survive into 2023 and then survive and grow.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

While the XFL deserves plenty of 😑😑😑😑😑 for some serious naivete don't just jump on them. The USFL's got about six weeks (being generous) to announce something big, there's been nothing since the announcement and the only mention of any relative investment was in the SA News Express this week about Jim Bob Morris, that's it.

It's fine to be all WTF over Garcia's initial "oh they'll just come to us" strategy but when Woods/FOX's is in danger of not being much better, a little more evenly spread here?