The Athletic: XFL players to get pennies on the dollar for what they are owed

XFL Football discussion.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

The Athletic: XFL players to get pennies on the dollar for what they are owed

Post by GregParks »

https://theathletic.com/2667448/2021/06 ... ed_article

The latest on the XFL bankruptcy above (subscription required): The UFPA calculated players were due about $14,000 (wages and bonuses) after the closure of the league, but instead they'll be each getting around $580. I feel like someone on this board mentioned recently that all XFL players were paid for the full season; obviously that's not the case.

Another interesting note is that Kenneth Farrow of the UFPA claimed to the author, in regards to the XFL's talks with the CFL, "The XFL only wanted to involve Montreal, Toronto, and (British Columbia), because those were the only markets, really, that were profitable." He also said with the passage of the gambling bill, that is a major revenue stream coming in so merger talks could be off the table. A source close to the XFL told the author that was not true, and a CFL source seemed to deny it as well.

The entire article is worth a read.
@gregmparks
Gopher123
Quarterback

Re: The Athletic: XFL players to get pennies on the dollar for what they are owed

Post by Gopher123 »

This is definitely the first I’ve heard of this. Right after the season was suspended last year, I believe it was the league itself that said that players and coaches would be paid for not only games played but also for games that weren’t played (base salary and benefits). I don’t know if that somehow changed through the bankruptcy proceedings but I thought that was all taken care of before, similar to the fan’s receiving their ticket refunds.

It also mentions Kenneth Farrow. He has made some comments that were quickly challenged and disputed in the past. He and his UFPA “sources” suggested the CFL was going to cancel their 2021 and 2022 seasons. That doesn’t appear to be accurate so far, so I guess we will see how accurate these comments turn out to be.

I’m quite surprised, if the players have been waiting this whole time for money that was owed them, that something wasn’t said before now.
MGB01
MVP

Re: The Athletic: XFL players to get pennies on the dollar for what they are owed

Post by MGB01 »

Based on this Oliver Luck will be lucky to end up with a mil, if that.

Considering he effectively took himself out the running for the Pac 12 job for this suit that makes him the XFL equivalent of Andrew Yang (a Todd Rundgren song comes to mind).
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

MGB01 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:56 pm Based on this Oliver Luck will be lucky to end up with a mil, if that.
Key difference is I believe Luck is suing McMahon personally, rather than Alpha Entertainment. So his suit would be separate from anything to do with the bankruptcy proceedings.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:13 am https://theathletic.com/2667448/2021/06 ... ed_article

The latest on the XFL bankruptcy above (subscription required): The UFPA calculated players were due about $14,000 (wages and bonuses) after the closure of the league, but instead they'll be each getting around $580. I feel like someone on this board mentioned recently that all XFL players were paid for the full season; obviously that's not the case.

Another interesting note is that Kenneth Farrow of the UFPA claimed to the author, in regards to the XFL's talks with the CFL, "The XFL only wanted to involve Montreal, Toronto, and (British Columbia), because those were the only markets, really, that were profitable." He also said with the passage of the gambling bill, that is a major revenue stream coming in so merger talks could be off the table. A source close to the XFL told the author that was not true, and a CFL source seemed to deny it as well.

The entire article is worth a read.
GP post. Thx.

Shocking that common sense tends to be what guides most decisions. I said from get go the Only markets the XFL would want are Montreal, Toronto and BC (Vancouver) - because those were the only large markets that moves the TV needle. Look at my earlier posts. And Toronto wants in on NFL or at least US style FB. 3 of the other markets are sub 1mm in metro area alone.

The XFL and CFL may have changed direction multiple times in discussions for all we know.

I don't have an account with journal to read it more.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

GregParks wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:13 amAnother interesting note is that Kenneth Farrow of the UFPA claimed to the author, in regards to the XFL's talks with the CFL, "The XFL only wanted to involve Montreal, Toronto, and (British Columbia), because those were the only markets, really, that were profitable."
Meanwhile, back in reality, those are the least profitable CFL teams. Why are people treating him as a credible source on the CFL talks? This is the same guy that said this CFL season and next weren't happening. He obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Also, they said at the time of shutdown that the players weren't going to be paid any bonuses, just the base salary.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Honestly, this whole UFPA thing is infuriating. Their entire purpose is supposedly to share information with the players and as far as I can tell, the next thing they get right will be the first. They told everyone that the 2021 and 2022 CFL seasons weren't happening, which was clearly wrong. And now they're admitting that they included bonuses when calculating how much the players should expect to earn? What a complete clown show.
Most players filed for $14,560, which accounts for due wages, win bonuses, and active roster bonuses, Farrow wrote in a text.
WIN BONUSES! For games they didn't even play! Based on the advice of UFPA! These players would be better off with an XFLBoard.com account than listening to this guy. Holy shit.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Tank55 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:15 pm
WIN BONUSES! For games they didn't even play! Based on the advice of UFPA! These players would be better off with an XFLBoard.com account than listening to this guy. Holy shit.
Seems like it's the "shoot for the moon; even if you miss, you'll land among the stars" philosophy applied to bankruptcy proceedings. IDK, I guess it doesn't hurt to ask for the maximum payment you could possibly be due, so long as it was made clear to the players that they shouldn't actually expect to get paid that full amount. But on the larger point of Farrow: I think the UFPA could be a valuable resource, but I'm struggling to figure out Farrow's PR game plan here.
@gregmparks
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

GregParks wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:37 pmso long as it was made clear to the players that they shouldn't actually expect to get paid that full amount
Yes, well put.