Dany Garcia: "We are months from hitting the field..."

XFL Football discussion.
Lex Schrapnel
Rookie

Re: Dany Garcia: "We are months from hitting the field..."

Post by Lex Schrapnel »

Nobody uses the word "months" to mean years.

People generally use the word months to mean anything less than one year. If she truly meant many months totaling over a year, she would have said something like "we are about a year (or two) from hitting the field".

So, either Dany misspoke, or the timeline has changed. Maybe Dany and Dwayne got spooked by the USFL announcement.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I'm guessing you're not friends with any parents of young children.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Until we know something, we know nothing!
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

If we want to be technical, 2022 still IS the official timeline for kickoff from the XFL. We've heard nothing directly from the league that pushes the date back. So maybe she's just speaking of what the official line from the XFL is to this point, even if it's likely an official announcement is made in the future that pushes the date back to 2023.
@gregmparks
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Maybe she's already thinking about a merged CXFL, and is referring to the few months we have until the CFL (hopefully) kicks off.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:51 pm
laxtreme56 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:17 pm Perhaps they can play a mini season of 6 games using a hybrid of XFL-CFL rules before the merger/partnership happens. With Redbirds new acquire I'm sure the Television and streaming talk will start heating up now.
The problem is that it's too late to secure a TV contract for this season at this point, unless they're going to buy the airtime (BAD IDEA). Remember that XFL 2.0 lined up and announced their TV deal in May 2019, which is when the TV networks unveil their schedules. The networks released their scheds four weeks ago and the time slots are already taken.

Now, they could go back to Fox and ask for them to honor the existing contract (though it looks like ESPN/ABC won't) but there would have to be some proof that the league is aggressively re-establishing its operations.
Those TV deals are void with the bankruptcy. Also what's interesting is ESPN/ABC now has both NBA & NHL including playoffs plus a slightly scaled down MLB schedule. Where does XFL fit into that?

NBC is terminating its sports channel, NBCSN this year end so they have less channels to fill as they focus on Peacock and filling that up. Though NBC itself has few sports starting 2022. And Fox has the USFL. WarnerMedia has NBA/NHL and MLB too. That leaves CBS and the streaming services.

Honestly all this talk of 24/7/365 programming sounds boring as azz to me - but it may be what a streaming service needs to fill content, so maybe NBC-Peacock is being targeted.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

4th&long wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:00 am
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:51 pm
laxtreme56 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:17 pm Perhaps they can play a mini season of 6 games using a hybrid of XFL-CFL rules before the merger/partnership happens. With Redbirds new acquire I'm sure the Television and streaming talk will start heating up now.
The problem is that it's too late to secure a TV contract for this season at this point, unless they're going to buy the airtime (BAD IDEA). Remember that XFL 2.0 lined up and announced their TV deal in May 2019, which is when the TV networks unveil their schedules. The networks released their scheds four weeks ago and the time slots are already taken.

Now, they could go back to Fox and ask for them to honor the existing contract (though it looks like ESPN/ABC won't) but there would have to be some proof that the league is aggressively re-establishing its operations.
Those TV deals are void with the bankruptcy.
Was there ever an official ruling on that? I assume there must have been and I missed it somewhere because those deals are never talked about in the context of the current XFL, but last I remember was both FOX and ESPN submitting arguments against their deals being included. I don't ever remember reading they were for sure thrown out. If someone could point me to a link, I'd appreciate it.
4th&long wrote: Honestly all this talk of 24/7/365 programming sounds boring as azz to me - but it may be what a streaming service needs to fill content, so maybe NBC-Peacock is being targeted.
And that's fine - there are people like yourself who are simply interested in what happens between the lines. But I hope you can feel that way while also acknowledging the advantages of the new ownership group establishing these plans (which you somewhat did in your post) - to branch out and attain more rights fees as well as potentially reach a younger (read: advertiser-friendly) audience that makes their programming and the brand more valuable in the long-term.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:51 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:51 pm The problem is that it's too late to secure a TV contract for this season at this point, unless they're going to buy the airtime (BAD IDEA). Remember that XFL 2.0 lined up and announced their TV deal in May 2019, which is when the TV networks unveil their schedules. The networks released their scheds four weeks ago and the time slots are already taken.

Was there ever an official ruling on that? I assume there must have been and I missed it somewhere because those deals are never talked about in the context of the current XFL, but last I remember was both FOX and ESPN submitting arguments against their deals being included. I don't ever remember reading they were for sure thrown out. If someone could point me to a link, I'd appreciate it.
4th&long wrote: Honestly all this talk of 24/7/365 programming sounds boring as azz to me - but it may be what a streaming service needs to fill content, so maybe NBC-Peacock is being targeted.
And that's fine - there are people like yourself who are simply interested in what happens between the lines. But I hope you can feel that way while also acknowledging the advantages of the new ownership group establishing these plans (which you somewhat did in your post) - to branch out and attain more rights fees as well as potentially reach a younger (read: advertiser-friendly) audience that makes their programming and the brand more valuable in the long-term.
Perhaps, and thats possible, but it also come across to me that they are doing what they know (entertainment) vs what they don't - sports. And they are trying that angle.

As the talks rumors slip to - 2 league one umbrella and 24/7/365 - It's possible that would be easier to fill a calender with two leagues, sharing players across two disparate seasons.

Say XFL Feb-Apr and CFL June-Nov or March-May/July-Nov. What's also not been mentioned but could happen is the XFL incorporates some of the Canadian teams playing 4 down only. And Some American cities playing in the CFL 3 down only. This may be done to create cross country interest fan in the two leagues, appease the big markets of Toronto (and/or Montreal and BC-Vancouver), and gambling interest. Especially in markets close to Canada and/or with NFL teams like Seattle.
The bottom line is a CFL XFL tie up is a hard marriage due to game rules. IF they are going to partner but not "merge" the league some of these ideas may pan out to help with that year round content.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

4th&long wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:41 pm

Perhaps, and thats possible, but it also come across to me that they are doing what they know (entertainment) vs what they don't - sports. And they are trying that angle.
I guess I look at that as a feature, not a bug. I agree that football, the core product, is more important; after all, the ancillary programming won't work without on-field success in terms of quality of play, etc. Everything is dependent upon that. But I'm willing to give the group a chance to walk and chew gum at the same time in terms of working on the entertainment aspect while also making sure the football side is run well and up to snuff. I don't think one has to be done at the expense of the other.
@gregmparks
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:51 pm The problem is that it's too late to secure a TV contract for this season at this point, unless they're going to buy the airtime (BAD IDEA). Remember that XFL 2.0 lined up and announced their TV deal in May 2019, which is when the TV networks unveil their schedules. The networks released their scheds four weeks ago and the time slots are already taken.

I recall ESPN/ABC explicitly wanting out of their end of the contract. Fox was taking a wait-and-see approach and was going to ask for a renegotiation but probably not a total voiding.
https://frntofficesport.com/without-mcm ... -xfl-deal/
https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/fox-wor ... agreement/