XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Dany Garcia: "We are months from hitting the field..."

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:23 pm
GregParks wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:51 pm
4th&long wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:00 am

Those TV deals are void with the bankruptcy.
Was there ever an official ruling on that? I assume there must have been and I missed it somewhere because those deals are never talked about in the context of the current XFL, but last I remember was both FOX and ESPN submitting arguments against their deals being included. I don't ever remember reading they were for sure thrown out. If someone could point me to a link, I'd appreciate it.
I recall ESPN/ABC explicitly wanting out of their end of the contract. Fox was taking a wait-and-see approach and was going to ask for a renegotiation but probably not a total voiding.
https://frntofficesport.com/without-mcm ... -xfl-deal/
https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/fox-wor ... agreement/
that was PRIOR to XFL 3.0 decision to not play of course. no way the XFL could force either to broadcast now, it would go to court and lose. yep espn wanted out and fox wanted in. recall the day after xfl bailed on 2021 Fox signed with TSL

though you could see a scenario that xfl gets on fox but it wont give up big bucks
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

With the XFL/Redbird signing big time NFL and ESPN executives this gives them a lot more clout in regards to a television contract. As for the 365 programming, I'm all in favor. Will I watch most or even any of it, probably not. However, to build a fanbase it needs to be more than just football. We need stories and personalities, as opposed to "Player X from a D2 school cut by 3 NFL teams is looking for his second chance." Push the gambling, fantasy games, and player personalities then people will be interested. "The love of the game" nonsense is old and overused. Would you still eat at a restaurant if your food was under cooked and the silverware was dirty just because the cooking staff really loves what they do? Of course not, if you can't present the best quality (which the XFL/CFL can't) there needs to be a bigger hook to keep the populace engaged.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

You know, if they're building a football "platform" that the XFL, CFL, and maybe even others sit on, they'll definitely be able to deliver real football for at least the full traditional football offseason and really basically February through November.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:23 am With the XFL/Redbird signing big time NFL and ESPN executives this gives them a lot more clout in regards to a television contract. As for the 365 programming, I'm all in favor. Will I watch most or even any of it, probably not. However, to build a fanbase it needs to be more than just football. We need stories and personalities, as opposed to "Player X from a D2 school cut by 3 NFL teams is looking for his second chance." Push the gambling, fantasy games, and player personalities then people will be interested. "The love of the game" nonsense is old and overused. Would you still eat at a restaurant if your food was under cooked and the silverware was dirty just because the cooking staff really loves what they do? Of course not, if you can't present the best quality (which the XFL/CFL can't) there needs to be a bigger hook to keep the populace engaged.
I would say it gives them some experience more than clout but I get your point on the hires.

I don't care either on the 365/24/7 content- and look at NFLN they don't get good ratings all year long WITH the best player stories. You don't care, IDC, and imagining vast majority won't I'm just saying they (DG/Rock) are focusing on what they know - entertainment programming - that's what they do. And don't bite my hand - it could be perceived as gimmicky ala XFL 1.0 with a wrestler to boot. Could that is - let's see what they do. Now if its 2 leagues playing Feb - Nov (with a mix of Canadian / American teams and its pre & post game hype - MUCH better.

I disagree on the best quality analogy - its not best vs rest/low - its best vs HIGH quality. If the XFL is HIGH quality people will watch. Its why CFB still draws. And FB is different than other US sports.