2 Major Developing stories involving the CFL *confirmed report*

XFL Football discussion.
PolarBear
Receiver

2 Major Developing stories involving the CFL *confirmed report*

Post by PolarBear »

I can now confirm the report that was given to me and after about a week of detail I can confirm 2 major developments in the CFL

1) Various CFL representatives that I have spoken to have told me the CFL is 100% moving forward to play in 2022. The issue regarding fans in the stands in Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Hamilton, Vancouver have all been forwarded to certain levels of government and at this time the CFL believes neither of the health officials or government leaders will allow fans.

So how is this a good thing for a return to play?

A number of the CFL franchises have been quite upset with this issue. They believe the gov't has not even begun a process for the country to return to normalcy and in fact I have been told a cold war could occur involving health officials, government, and the public sector.

The CFL (not all teams but a lot more than half) have come forward with plans on how to proceed playing games in all cities that have been reviewed by private health officials in both Canada/USA. In fact a study that the Canadian gov't has refused to acknowledge is that outdoor transmission has now been studied at 0.995%. That is a game changer and proves how wrong health officials have been from the start.

The National Hockey League franchises in Canada have been in talks with few CFL franchises sharing their frustration and joining forces this summer to put pressure on the government to wake up is a strong likelihood.

Now for the big nugget. I have spoken to multiple representatives of the CFL and they are prepared for a court battle if the gov't/health officials get in the way of the CFL return to play.

I was told by 2 team officials ''We are going to play or sadly this is going to court. There is zero reason why we cant play''

2) Now for even a bigger story. I was informed of this situation about 1 month ago and as of last week it became clear this was accurate with even confirming this report from a major CFL insider and also a team official.

MLSE has purposely try to stop the 2021 season from happening. ''100%'' This story is accurate. And MLSE has tried to get 2 other CFL private owned teams to join forces to basically blow the league up and that starts by cancelling the 2021 season to force the public owned teams to sell their franchises.

What is going to happen?

If the CFL season somehow magically disappears which I have been told there is 0% chance of this happening. The CFL members who disapprove of this tactic could by league bylaws kick MLSE out of the league. Its a standard bylaw similar to the NBA and Detroit Pistons and NHL fight with the NY Rangers about controlling their website. This is a lot more severe and most likely the CFL would take over the Argos and find new owners.
PolarBear
Receiver

Re: 2 Major Developing stories involving the CFL *confirmed report*

Post by PolarBear »

Also to note that the city of Montreal will allow fans inside the Bell Centre for Game 6 of the 1st round NHL playoffs.

Pressure is already being put on by pro teams.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

First of all, thank you for being forthright with your reporting this time. I will believe it when I see it, but for now, I will assume good faith because this does seem plausible.

I do see that the Ontario plans to lift lockdown are timed for the third phase to kick in at the end of July, just before the planned start of the 2021 season. That would allow Hamilton and Ottawa to play. If the CFL is ready to fight, it's about time.

That brings us to Toronto and MLSE. The thorny subject with MLSE is that one of their shareholders is Bell Media--which also controls the CFL's TV contract through owning TSN. The other big shareholder is the other major sports television choice in Canada, Rogers. So, if the CFL kicks MLSE out of the league, all of a sudden there comes the risk of retaliation: Bell could pull the games from TV and bury them, perhaps with something like ESPN+ here in America, and there'd be very little the CFL could do to stop it. (Other than perhaps line up a few ABC affiliates along the Canadian border and border-blast the games over the air by exploiting TSN's other investor, ESPN. But I'm not counting on that.) So they'd be playing a very risky game by forcing MLSE out.
PolarBear
Receiver

Post by PolarBear »

One thing to understand about telecommunications in Canada is that they hate each other but they need each other.

MLSE are owners of the Argos and Leafs. They are the big ownership in Canada and Rogers owns the Blue Jays... However MLSE is really ran by Larry Tannebaum who is a big Argos fan and yes Bell does own part of MLSE but that was because of a processing agreement years and years ago. CTV - Bell used to own Sports Net that then was suppose to be bought by CBC but the CRTC didn't allow it so CBC started their own Sports network which eventually failed to happen. So Rogers bought Sports Net that used to be called CTV SportsNet.

MLSE then needed approval for Bell who had bought money off trust that was supposed to go to the Ontario Teachers Pension. The Toronto Maple Leafs used to be owned by the Teachers Pension believe it or not. The CRTC had Bell and Rogers come together to buy into the Leafs,etc but they needed Tannebaum. He agreed to own I think 20-30% of the team.

MLSE though has CFL friendly stakeholders they really have no part in operating the team.