3downnat: Gov, CFL in talks about possible funding

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

3downnat: Gov, CFL in talks about possible funding

Post by 4th&long »

>> Federal government, CFL in talks about possible funding arrangement this year: Winnipeg MP Jim Carr<<

https://3downnation.com/2021/05/01/fede ... -jim-carr/

>> Winnipeg member of parliament Jim Carr has publicly confirmed the federal government and CFL are in talks regarding potential funding.

The 69-year-old Carr stated there are discussions about a possible arrangement this year.

“(Conversations are) ongoing and the relationships are good and the line of communication is fluid. There are a lot of variables out there,” Carr said in an interview with Regina Leader-Post reporter Evan Radford.

“I’m giving you the view from a Prairie guy who understands the importance of that league to our identity and the Grey Cup itself — speaking of festivals — is a major national event that has meaning for a lot of Canadians.” <<

IMO - you can bet that if the Gov funds CFL this year - they will have some say in post 2021 decisions....
GDAWG
MVP

Re: 3downnat: Gov, CFL in talks about possible funding

Post by GDAWG »

Surprised that the CFL diehards have yet to demand the Canadian Government enact the Canadian Football Act into law to prevent the XFL from destroying their league.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

Perhaps they're "talking about talking" as Commissioner Ambroise would say. I doubt anything comes of this honestly.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:56 pm Perhaps they're "talking about talking" as Commissioner Ambroise would say. I doubt anything comes of this honestly.
I'm not so sure of that. Canada is in fear mode still on virus from china and have much less organic (ie already had it) herd immunity than the USA. Add to that the vacs in USA and they are way behind.

Gov policies there are causing businesses to not operate fully, 2020 was one thing, but Aug 2021 ? It's possible that canadians are tiring of it and see other countries (eg USA) operating. Why say all this, because public perception is that the CFL is TRYING Hard to play and its CA-Gov preventing it, or at least its trending that way.

No matter where you personally fall on this...Aug 5th is over 13 weeks away... the pressure to open up in summer in canada is going to increase.

If gov is still in lockdown, they may in essence compromise and provide a "loan" till fans can return.