XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

XFL not funding CFL return to play...

Post by 4th&long »

XFL not funding CFL return to play...

https://twitter.com/sportsdanbarnes/sta ... 0660087811

>> Dan Barnes@sportsdanbarnes
#CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie said league has not asked #XFL to fund their 2021 season. "We have never had that discussion with the XFL. We think we can create a made-in-Canada solution."
12:03 PM · Apr 21, 2021 <<

Alrighty then! These are the partners you are going to merge with?

So you'll have 2 leagues with one not playing 2 years the other "league" having 5 games of history before not playing... and you are coming back in 2022? 2023? OMG really.

USA is playing all sports - never stopped. Organic herd immunity combined with rising vaccinations and we are wayyyy ahead. Canada heavy lockdowns required heavy vaccinations.... and Trudon't only has DIH (D### in hand).

I feel bad for the CFL and the CFL fans. But this doesn't give a good vibe for an XFL/CFL merger.

Where's the updates on XFL talks? (crickets) TSL's stock rose today.
laxtreme56
Coach

Re: XFL not funding CFL return to play...

Post by laxtreme56 »

Well they haven't asked...yet. That also doesn't mean the XFL hasn't offered either. Lots of reading between the lines here.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:36 pm Well they haven't asked...yet. That also doesn't mean the XFL hasn't offered either. Lots of reading between the lines here.

Absolutely -

- could be XFL offered but wanted to much
- or could be XFL implied 'not interested'

Again it goes back to the $64k question - what is driving the XFL here? What does the CFL have that the XFL wants/needs? Or is this just a lot of talk.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Did we think the XFL was going to get involved with the 2021 season? This seems like non-news to me.
4th&long wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:52 pmwhat is driving the XFL here?
Money.
4th&long wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:52 pmWhat does the CFL have that the XFL wants/needs?
Intellectual property, market share, and its customer base.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:19 pm Did we think the XFL was going to get involved with the 2021 season? This seems like non-news to me.
4th&long wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:52 pmwhat is driving the XFL here?
Money.
4th&long wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:52 pmWhat does the CFL have that the XFL wants/needs?
Intellectual property, market share, and its customer base.
Money? LOL that's the answer to any and every question... and even that is just speculation.

We have NO REPORTING on specifically what is driving the XFL. NADA, NONE.

Do they want to leverage the FB front office, the existing TSN tv deal? is it the IP or market share as you say.

Why? Can't they build in the USA alone - XFL 2.0 proved they could. What attractive about a league in Canada that has 3 teams in markets under 1mm, and 3 others under 1.5mm. They REALLY need that???

They are going to go through all the trouble of reimaging the CFL and the risk that comes from that, the work effort to do that AND field 8-9 teams in USA? ( and yes I know we are on same page on what we think XFL/CFL may look like).

I was hoping for some insight when the CFL finally yapped today and we got ZIP. It almost sound like CFL is getting weary.

Here's the quote again "We have never had that discussion with the XFL. We think we can create a made-in-Canada solution."

So you make a point to say MADE-IN-CANADA solution and yet you are merging shortly? Its very ODD...
Last edited by 4th&long on Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

The CFL website has a Q&A with Ambrosie (https://www.cfl.ca/2021/04/21/oleary-ra ... xfl-talks/) and one of the questions was on the talks with the XFL. Here's the full exchange:
CFL.ca: Are there any updates on your discussions with the XFL and is there a chance that they can factor into this 2021 season?

RA: Our discussions with the XFL have been very positive. What we’re focused on is really understanding what this opportunity might look like. If I back up from there, one of the things that I shared with an alumni group that I spoke with at their annual general meeting last night was what has become increasingly obvious to me is that the business of our league has never been as good as the players who play our game and the game itself.

What we’re looking at and what we’ve been working on on our own is improving our business model. We’ve made a lot of adjustments in the past number of months to make sure that we’ve got the best business model possible. The discussions with the XFL are really focused on that. How would working together help to improve the business model? When you get that answer, you have nearly an infinite list of possibilities on how you would make it work. What our fans really deserve and what our amateur football partners really deserve is a business that’s as good as our game. That’s what we’re working to deliver here.

We don’t have those answers today but we do know that we are working with world class people. Every time you are on a call with them, you are struck by how genuine, authentic, how sincere they are in trying to determine if there is an opportunity to do better, do better together in some form. That’s been the spirit of our discussion so far.
Three paragraphs to say...well, nothing really. The mystery continues.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:34 pm The CFL website has a Q&A with Ambrosie (https://www.cfl.ca/2021/04/21/oleary-ra ... xfl-talks/) and one of the questions was on the talks with the XFL. Here's the full exchange:
CFL.ca: Are there any updates on your discussions with the XFL and is there a chance that they can factor into this 2021 season?

RA: Our discussions with the XFL have been very positive. What we’re focused on is really understanding what this opportunity might look like. If I back up from there, one of the things that I shared with an alumni group that I spoke with at their annual general meeting last night was what has become increasingly obvious to me is that the business of our league has never been as good as the players who play our game and the game itself.

What we’re looking at and what we’ve been working on on our own is improving our business model. We’ve made a lot of adjustments in the past number of months to make sure that we’ve got the best business model possible. The discussions with the XFL are really focused on that. How would working together help to improve the business model? When you get that answer, you have nearly an infinite list of possibilities on how you would make it work. What our fans really deserve and what our amateur football partners really deserve is a business that’s as good as our game. That’s what we’re working to deliver here.

We don’t have those answers today but we do know that we are working with world class people. Every time you are on a call with them, you are struck by how genuine, authentic, how sincere they are in trying to determine if there is an opportunity to do better, do better together in some form. That’s been the spirit of our discussion so far.
Three paragraphs to say...well, nothing really. The mystery continues.
Thanks for posting GP and I totally agree.

It almost seems like they are stretching to find some new business model to fit with XFL.

Canada Twitter picking up on it...

>> CFL News@CFL_News
This goes against the ongoing narrative being spun that the #CFL would somehow be dependent on the #XFL and Redbird Capital to play in 2021. <<

https://twitter.com/CFL_News/status/1384933749759123456
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

4th&long wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:32 pmMoney? LOL that's the answer to any and every question... and even that is just speculation.
You think it's speculation that XFL ownership is seeking to make money? Or am I taking you too literally again?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:50 pm
4th&long wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:32 pmMoney? LOL that's the answer to any and every question... and even that is just speculation.
You think it's speculation that XFL ownership is seeking to make money? Or am I taking you too literally again?
It was humor... Again that's not the crux of my post. We have no serious info at all on what's driving specically the XFL to talk with the CFL.

All we do know, assuming CFL commish is honest is that CFL and XFL haven't yet found a joint working model.
Last edited by 4th&long on Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4th&long
MVP

XFL not funding CFL season

Post by 4th&long »

There was alot of canadian media types chattering that we'd hear some updates on XFL talks... we did not.

That's disappointing.
Last edited by 4th&long on Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.