XFLnewshub/RPederson: Talks CFL Playing In The Fall, Adopting XFL Rules & More

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

XFLnewshub/RPederson: Talks CFL Playing In The Fall, Adopting XFL Rules & More

Post by 4th&long »

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/rod-ped ... ules-more/

>> There’s a lot of talk about the new spring/summer league starting as early as one year from now… the next CFL… Some have said, why even try to play this year? Why not turn the lights out and go full bore towards next year?

I think there are some people that want to do that. Why would you play right now other than for the people who are in the league right now?”

Pedersen believes it will be a full-blown merger with the XFL as the damage has been done to the CFL due to not playing last year. <<
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: XFLnewshub/RPederson: Talks CFL Playing In The Fall, Adopting XFL Rules & More

Post by GregParks »

If you follow @CFL_News on Twitter, it's kind of fascinating. Among the Canadian sports media, Pedersen thinks there's a 60/40 chance the CFL WON'T play this year, while TSN's Farhan Lalji says 90-95% they WILL play. When the media can't even agree on something like that (granted, with COVID, it's a moving target), it's hard to put a lot of trust in anything they say on the XFL/CFL stuff. Then again, most of it is speculation anyway, or the sourced stuff is so broad it's barely worth mentioning.

TSN'S Dave Naylor noted those working on the XFL/CFL deal have all signed NDA's, which is probably why there hasn't been much in the way of leaks.
@gregmparks
nick1091
Running Back

Re: XFLnewshub/RPederson: Talks CFL Playing In The Fall, Adopting XFL Rules & More

Post by nick1091 »

Interesting that Pederson's saying in the article the talk is that XFL fields have goalposts in the back of the end zone, CFL goalposts in the back. Seems like a weird sticking point. CFL can bend on number of downs and the Canadian player ratio but not this?
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Agreed. I'd even be OK with moving them to the front in the US, but it is a little dangerous.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:47 pm Agreed. I'd even be OK with moving them to the front in the US, but it is a little dangerous.
Likely don't care or not easy to move them in USA and on Canadians side - want to throw the fans a bone.
nick1091
Running Back

Post by nick1091 »

4th&long wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:49 pm
Tank55 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:47 pm Agreed. I'd even be OK with moving them to the front in the US, but it is a little dangerous.
Likely don't care or not easy to move them in USA and on Canadians side - want to throw the fans a bone.
But if they’re playing on a 100 yard field wouldn’t the CFL teams need to move them regardless?
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

nick1091 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:00 pm
4th&long wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:49 pm
But if they’re playing on a 100 yard field wouldn’t the CFL teams need to move them regardless?
The Canadian teams - yes - but not the American. The current CFL owner are just looking for things to say to current CFL fans - we are keeping X (where X is the goal post where they are now).

If they give into a 100 yd field and more importantly 4 downs vs 3 downs, they will be looking for any bone they can throw to current CFL fans.

BTW I sincerely doubt the field will be 65 yds wide either may be a USA/CA split of 59 etc...

Also no mention of number of players. I'll say this if field is 65 yds wide they will likely keep it 12 players.
FootballYoda
Quarterback

Post by FootballYoda »

Why is Rod Pedersen an expert source on this? This sounds more like speculation than facts.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

4th&long wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:06 pm If they give into a 100 yd field and more importantly 4 downs vs 3 downs, they will be looking for any bone they can throw to current CFL fans.

BTW I sincerely doubt the field will be 65 yds wide either may be a USA/CA split of 59 etc...

Also no mention of number of players. I'll say this if field is 65 yds wide they will likely keep it 12 players.
This was something I probably mentioned way back before XFL 2.0 launched, but if you think about it...several XFL teams play in MLS stadiums. DC, LA, Seattle. Dallas plays in a converted baseball park, and they were talking about moving NY to the NJ MLS stadium. The standard 105m x 68m MLS pitch is plenty wide enough for at least a 60 yard wide field, especially if you do the old "put the team benches on the same side of the field" trick that's occasionally done.

As for the number of players... this is a wacky, out-there "solution" but you could keep 11, but count the quarterback under center as being on the line of scrimmage, thus upping the number of eligible receivers to the same number as you would with the CFL standard 12.

And for the three down/four down discrepancy, just import those FCF power-ups. Three downs, but with an option each half for a fourth down, or a "flip the field" touchback if the third-down conversion fails.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Oh please, no FCF Power Ups; that's like playing poker with Jokers in the deck and Suicide King, Scepter Queen, and One Eyed Jacks are wild!
Direct from the Dragon's Lair