TSL 2021 TV Schedule FOX and FS1/FS2

Discussion on TSL: The Spring League
4th&long
MVP

TSL 2021 TV Schedule FOX and FS1/FS2

Post by 4th&long »

https://xflnewsroom.com/news/2021-tsl-t ... x-fs1-fs2/

>> Just now, FOX put out a press release revealing the full TSL television schedule. Included in that announcement was the fact that TSL would have seven games on FOX, with 18 more split across FS1 and FS2. <<

See all the Schedule details in the link....
MGB01
MVP

Re: TSL 2021 TV Schedule FOX and FS1/FS2

Post by MGB01 »

Wow even better than what I thought, four of the six FOX telecasts will be direct MLB lead-ins.

Say whatever about Woods, but he's done something right here.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

And still nobody is going to watch. I don't get the obsession with a half-bit minor league pay-to-play academy. Not even a true league.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

It will be interesting to watch and evaluate the amount of viewership of this season's TSl. If nothing else, it might help gauge the "thirst" for Spring football.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:56 am And still nobody is going to watch. I don't get the obsession with a half-bit minor league pay-to-play academy. Not even a true league.
Let's see - clearly it won't come close to XFL #'s, but I'm sure they aren't expecting that. XFL was in MAJOR TV markets comprising 22% of the TV market. AAF was 9%. This is in effect 0%, its just FB for without a home market.

What's the alternative MLS? MLB? crappy 2021 TV shows?

Should be interesting.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:56 am And still nobody is going to watch. I don't get the obsession with a half-bit minor league pay-to-play academy. Not even a true league.
What if they do?

No one thinks this is actually anything, but this is obviously a test run for if/when the CXFL becomes a thing in "the undiscovered country"

See alt leagues have either tried to run with the NFL (UFL, FXFL, WFL--overlap) or in the Feb-April zone (AAF, XFL, USFL--beyond) but none have used the post-draft slot--there would be overlap with the new league, as there was NFLE last time it was used.

But the dead time is really after the draft. ESPN tried to push this big Super Sports Saturday a few years ago with the Kentucky Derby, NBA playoff game 7s, and Mayweather/Pacquiao (oddly enough they didn't have rights to one). No one bit.

It's just a placeholder, nothing more. Hell if Woods was running an actual league instead of a showcase, well, he's been there done that died then. And FOX has mostly lent Saturday afternoons back to the affiliates ever since The Game of the Week (well the time slot anyway) and most of FOX's MLB coverage moved over to FS1 in the 2014 rights deal--and looks to be status quo for the next one too. So no-lose here.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Exactly, nothing to lose and everything to gain! If the TSL is somehow able to pull this off with respectable viewership numbers (given the nature of the product of course); well, it might put previous alt leagues to shame. IMO, the seasonal time slot is just about perfect.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Firecop wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:29 pm Exactly, nothing to lose and everything to gain! If the TSL is somehow able to pull this off with respectable viewership numbers (given the nature of the product of course); well, it might put previous alt leagues to shame. IMO, the seasonal time slot is just about perfect.
Interesting comments about the time slot. I think the Feb-April time frame for AAF/XFL was selected as potential fans were likely to be 'trapped' inside - at least up north - due to weather and made for a captured audience.

I think evening games will do better in May-June esp during the week. Also wrapping up by Mid June makes sense as that is when kids are still in school and summer vacations haven't kicked into high gear. And it also depends on weather by game and market.

This is low cost programming for FOX and it may also play into FoxBet at some point too.

My expectations are relatively low for the TV ratings. That may be enough for Fox to consider it a win with the prod cost much lower than an XFL game. Their alternative programming hasn't performed well. Below is link to a random late Thursday in May form 2019... FS1 had nothing in the evening in the top 150 (based on P18-49 demo) and their best morning/daytime shows where 'The Herd' and 'Undisputed' with just 146k and 166k TOTAL viewers respectively.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/s ... -2019.html

The week after (6/6/2019) it was similar except NASCAR RACE HUB L got 114k total viewers for 1 hour and MLB WHIPAROUND L got 70k viewers for 1 hour at 6pm and 11pm respectively.

The week prior (5/23/2019)it was similar except NASCAR M.E. CUP QUALIFY L got 280k total viewers for 1 hour and NASCAR RACE HUB WKND ED L got 196k viewers for 1 hour at 7pm and 8pm respectively.

FS1 did do very well with the US Open first round (over a million on Thursday) June 13-2019.
nick1091
Running Back

Post by nick1091 »

4th&long wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:26 am
Interesting comments about the time slot. I think the Feb-April time frame for AAF/XFL was selected as potential fans were likely to be 'trapped' inside - at least up north - due to weather and made for a captured audience.
I always assumed that was designed to capitalize on the post Super Bowl "hangover." Meaning people who were already conditioned to watch football on weekends for the last 4-5 months were more likely to continue to do so vs risking them finding something else between then and the summertime.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

nick1091 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:16 pm
4th&long wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:26 am
I always assumed that was designed to capitalize on the post Super Bowl "hangover." Meaning people who were already conditioned to watch football on weekends for the last 4-5 months were more likely to continue to do so vs risking them finding something else between then and the summertime.
I hear you but I don't think that's the main driver. In winter (tech ends around 3/21) you have bad weather up north and you aren't competing with late spring/Summer. Once summer hits people up north are at the beaches, on vacation, or some other out side activity. Which might help Gate sports like MLB, but not TV sourced revenue sports like FB.

And BTW I'm 24/7 conditioned to watch FB - :D

If CFL/XFL happens and they go with a May-Aug league - expect Canadian daytime games for gate and temp and USA evening games for TV.

TSL schedule is also got mostly evenings with its 2nd-half of spring schedule.