If the CFL XFL merger takes place Do you want 3 down football or 4 down football?

XFL Football discussion.

If the CFL XFL merger takes place Do you want 3 down football or 4 down football?

Poll ended at Sat May 08, 2021 6:26 pm

3 down football
46%
4 down football
54%

Total votes: 13

laxtreme56
Coach

Re: If the CFL XFL merger takes place Do you want 3 down football or 4 down football?

Post by laxtreme56 »

4th&long wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:00 am We still are not hearing anything on what's driving tthe XFL to these talks. All we hear is why the CFL maybe doing so... ie funding.

What is driving the XFL? Is it really all RBC? Do they see a solid property in the CFL selling out at a discount due to covid just like the XFL except an ongoing business? Is RBC looking to convert CFL into more of a 4down game, add a few USA cities and market it more a tradional FB in the off season? Does the XFL need the FB back office and FB knowledge that the CFL provides?

It's not even being speculated much in the Canadian media.... but ultimately that's what needs to be known. If RBC just buys the CFL on the cheap it may stay a 3down game as the XFL fades off into memory.

Very little reporting on the XFL side of the equation.
The CFL media, especially the talking heads at TSN are all preparing, and looking forward to 4 down football. With the new lockdowns in place and live events cancelled throughout several provinces this summer, the CFL best cases scenario is a 9 game season starting in September. Which means TSN only pays half their $50 million contract out and no way the players agree to a 50% paycut.

I can see redbird keeping some traditional CFL rules. One receiver in motion, no yards, maybe even the rogues. When all is said and done I'd expect a 12-14 week regular season running from April-August with the championship Labor Day weekend.
4th&long
MVP

Re: If the CFL XFL merger takes place Do you want 3 down football or 4 down football?

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:08 pm
4th&long wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:00 am We still are not hearing anything on what's driving tthe XFL to these talks. All we hear is why the CFL maybe doing so... ie funding.

What is driving the XFL? Is it really all RBC? Do they see a solid property in the CFL selling out at a discount due to covid just like the XFL except an ongoing business? Is RBC looking to convert CFL into more of a 4down game, add a few USA cities and market it more a tradional FB in the off season? Does the XFL need the FB back office and FB knowledge that the CFL provides?

It's not even being speculated much in the Canadian media.... but ultimately that's what needs to be known. If RBC just buys the CFL on the cheap it may stay a 3down game as the XFL fades off into memory.

Very little reporting on the XFL side of the equation.
The CFL media, especially the talking heads at TSN are all preparing, and looking forward to 4 down football. With the new lockdowns in place and live events cancelled throughout several provinces this summer, the CFL best cases scenario is a 9 game season starting in September. Which means TSN only pays half their $50 million contract out and no way the players agree to a 50% paycut.

I can see redbird keeping some traditional CFL rules. One receiver in motion, no yards, maybe even the rogues. When all is said and done I'd expect a 12-14 week regular season running from April-August with the championship Labor Day weekend.
I hear what you are saying but that's not coming from the media at all. But they are not asking the questions on why the XFL is looking at the CFL. The American media doesn't think the XFL is news worthy.

The CFL is telling the public via the media - its up to the government - if we can have fans at games and they need some to start play. Its all on the Canadian govt... that's the CFL message to its fans.

But no one is inquiring on the motives of the XFL.
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

There is nothing wrong with keeping 3 downs. Would make the new league unique.

Birmingham Barracudas played 3 down ball and we didn’t go to he11. It was actually fun.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
XFLGUY
Quarterback

Post by XFLGUY »

Dave Naylor in this https://www.google.com/amp/s/xflboard. ... other/amp/ article states that..

Naylor goes on to explain that with a split in Canada, of what people like, and four-down unanimity in the United States, the new league will likely rely on a four-down game.

If you are going to take this league international, the global game is four-downs,” Naylor also pointed out.
Sounds like the information he’s hearing is that 4 downs is what it’ll be, especially if this is going to be some sort of international league.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

XFLGUY wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:50 pm Dave Naylor in this https://www.google.com/amp/s/xflboard. ... other/amp/ article states that..

Naylor goes on to explain that with a split in Canada, of what people like, and four-down unanimity in the United States, the new league will likely rely on a four-down game.

If you are going to take this league international, the global game is four-downs,” Naylor also pointed out.
Sounds like the information he’s hearing is that 4 downs is what it’ll be, especially if this is going to be some sort of international league.
If that's the direction they indeed go, there are 9 team ownership groups + XFL to come to that agreement. It may be a deal breaker for RBC-XFL.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

As someone who has never really watched the CFL, I came into this very much believing four downs is the way to go. As time has gone on, I've softened that stance a bit. I wouldn't be outraged if they agreed upon three downs; it would in some ways align with the mission statement of XFL2.0, which was to make the game faster and more exciting. I feel like taking away a down could fit that.
@gregmparks