If the CFL XFL merger takes place Do you want 3 down football or 4 down football?

XFL Football discussion.

If the CFL XFL merger takes place Do you want 3 down football or 4 down football?

Poll ended at Sat May 08, 2021 6:26 pm

3 down football
46%
4 down football
54%

Total votes: 13

XFLGUY
Quarterback

Post by XFLGUY »

Which style of play would you rather see?
Firecop
Coach

Re: If the CFL XFL merger takes place Do you want 3 down football or 4 down football?

Post by Firecop »

Crikey, like that's even a pool worthy question - 4 DOWN!
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
Tank55
MVP

Re: If the CFL XFL merger takes place Do you want 3 down football or 4 down football?

Post by Tank55 »

I enjoy the 3-down game, but if the league has any serious aspirations beyond the border, it has to be 4 downs.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
KJE
Running Back

Post by KJE »

I'm a CFL guy first, 3 down.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

I love three-down football, but I’m sure a merged league will play four-down ball... and I will be disappointed.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
FootballYoda
Quarterback

Post by FootballYoda »

Adopt the three down game. It’s faster.
Narles
Rookie

Post by Narles »

If the merged league is to succeed, it requires a major difference from NFL or NCAA. The best and most obvious is to adopt 3 downs. This will require some other minor differences but will make the league stand-out.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

We still are not hearing anything on what's driving tthe XFL to these talks. All we hear is why the CFL maybe doing so... ie funding.

What is driving the XFL? Is it really all RBC? Do they see a solid property in the CFL selling out at a discount due to covid just like the XFL except an ongoing business? Is RBC looking to convert CFL into more of a 4down game, add a few USA cities and market it more a tradional FB in the off season? Does the XFL need the FB back office and FB knowledge that the CFL provides?

It's not even being speculated much in the Canadian media.... but ultimately that's what needs to be known. If RBC just buys the CFL on the cheap it may stay a 3down game as the XFL fades off into memory.

Very little reporting on the XFL side of the equation.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

A great topic, and one that needs to be discussed it all this talk of an amalgamation is to be taken seriously. The Canadian game plays on a gridiron 110 by 65 with 12 men per side, deeper end zones and three downs to move 10 yards.......The american version is 100 by 53 and 4 down with shorter endzones.....so naturally, in order to come together, let's develop a hybrid of the two.....a 100 yard long 60 yard wide field, keeping the deeper endzones, playing 11 on 11 with 3 downs with goal post placed at the rear of the endzones with the Canadian rule of 1 yard neutral zone between offensive and defensive lines. Let's retain the XFL style of kickoff only with more space from where the front line of the kicking team lines up.....15 yards instead of 5 with nobody moving until the returner makes the catch, retain the extra point structure of the XFL......with an overtime period if one is needed.....similar to the NFL, only each team is guaranteed at least one possession regardless of whether the first team to have possession scores a TD or not. Keep the canadian single point. It would only make sense if the canadian division and the american division are playing by the same rule set. And playing a structure that would have a 14 game season stretching from May thru September. It sound crazy yes, but playing by two completely different sets of rules on two completely different gridiron's is crazier.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

One thing to keep in mind, is if/how soon this “merged league” is looking to place teams in markets outside of the US/Canada. There’s talk that the XFL/CFL vision reaches across the globe. How would a 3 down league be accepted in say, London? I have watched the CFL and plan to again but I’m a 4 down guy, probably, because it’s what I grew up watching.
Will the new ownership group take this into account based off of where they want to put teams? I’m sure they would prefer all of their markets getting off to the best possible start. Maybe they don’t expand outside of US/Canada right away, but eventually maybe this would have some bearing on how they determine 3 down or 4 down. Either way I just want it to go over well and be successful.