As predicted Canadian press love affair with the "Rock" is on the rocks

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

As predicted Canadian press love affair with the "Rock" is on the rocks

Post by 4th&long »

https://3downnation.com/2021/04/05/this ... ess-model/

>> “A lot of the same people who were almost ridiculing spring football for not having a chance to exist, who ridiculed around a year ago at this time that the XFL folded, are now saying this is the only thing we have left. And now it’s the XFL and Dwayne Johnson because he once slept on a mattress and he’s grateful for Wally Buono, that’s now going to save it.

The Rock has stated he’s excited for the ‘unique opportunity’ the CFL and XFL ‘can potentially create together.’ The most recent incarnation of the XFL lasted just five games before the COVID-19 pandemic put their season on hold, which led to Vince McMahon filing for bankruptcy and selling.

My point is this on the whole XFL thing: you are willing to throw the baby out with the bath water to team up with a brand that has twice folded, with no guarantee that it’s going to last more than a year,” Madani said

“It’s a league who came out in August and said, ‘We’re going to find new, different business ventures.’ They came up with a Grey Cup fan base, that was supposed to generate some revenue. I’m told give or take they were able to bring in about a million-and-a-half in revenue — so nothing when it’s $300 bucks a pop.”

“What else have we heard from the league in terms of what new business model plans may look like? I haven’t heard any.” <<

Good. Time for this group to get pushed into talking...
MGB01
MVP

Re: As predicted Canadian press love affair with the "Rock" is on the rocks

Post by MGB01 »

Not sure there ever was one in the first place. If he can't escape referring to getting cut in a promo back in 2012 (or the far more hilarious stomp on TO in 2003 that wasn't mentioned) the way these columnists obviously take everything verbatim, then there's none to have.

Besides it looks like they're bashing both leagues.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Ah, the usual suspect with another "**** on the new ownership because he wouldn't play a season NOW" hot take. Again.

Let's review: the CFL was so close to collapse in the 1990s that it thought Shreveport and Birmingham were good places to put a professional football team. They lost Ottawa twice, the second time letting in an owner they KNEW was unfit, with predictable results. They lost Montreal twice and are on the verge of losing it a third time. Toronto has twice had to be propped up by its TV partner and remains one of the least popular teams in the league. Do not lecture me about how the CFL is the more stable brand. The only difference between them and the XFL now is TV money and ownership structure. The CFL hasn't played since November 2019.
FootballYoda
Quarterback

Post by FootballYoda »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:37 pm Ah, the usual suspect with another "**** on the new ownership because he wouldn't play a season NOW" hot take. Again.

Let's review: the CFL was so close to collapse in the 1990s that it thought Shreveport and Birmingham were good places to put a professional football team. They lost Ottawa twice, the second time letting in an owner they KNEW was unfit, with predictable results. They lost Montreal twice and are on the verge of losing it a third time. Toronto has twice had to be propped up by its TV partner and remains one of the least popular teams in the league. Do not lecture me about how the CFL is the more stable brand. The only difference between them and the XFL now is TV money and ownership structure. The CFL hasn't played since November 2019.
All the adversity the CFL has had, as you point out so well, they still survive, and they will survive Covid. XFL has failed twice, and is soon to fail a third time.

Hey, don’t get me wrong. I’m a huge XFL fan. But the past failure is written, and the next XFL fail is already being constructed. The XFL business model is flawed because it needs deep pockets to make it work. AAF proved this as well. Both good leagues but they bleed money.

The Rock isn’t in this to flush his money away. He won’t do this with his own money. This is why it’s doomed to fail.

The CFL has a varied ownership model, and when one team folds the rest carry on. That’s why they keep going despite the failures.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

CFL doesn’t need The Rock to save it. The CFL will play this year, and some teams may lose money. But the league will be back next year.

Apparently the Rock needs the CFL to save the XFL.

Who has the upper hand?
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

FootballYoda wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:16 am All the adversity the CFL has had, as you point out so well, they still survive, and they will survive Covid. XFL has failed twice, and is soon to fail a third time.

Hey, don’t get me wrong. I’m a huge XFL fan. But the past failure is written, and the next XFL fail is already being constructed. The XFL business model is flawed because it needs deep pockets to make it work. AAF proved this as well. Both good leagues but they bleed money.

The Rock isn’t in this to flush his money away. He won’t do this with his own money. This is why it’s doomed to fail.

The CFL has a varied ownership model, and when one team folds the rest carry on. That’s why they keep going despite the failures.
Ah yes the propagandists are quite cute, I mean somebody's already beaten you to how Anthony Calvillo flat turned down the Steelers at the beginning of 2003 (somehow omitting that he had a bum ankle), that's like saying Kurt Angle did the same nine years earlier when he merely had a so-so workout.

So why is the CFL having these issues crop up every three or four years then? Oh and there's a little bit of a difference between the two: One is a national league that has been backed by the Canadian government, the other is taking another swing in a market littered with dead alt leagues. Yet both are in relatively the same spot, unless you're going to try to convince me that all these reports of owners/league officials (FDOs as I call them) favoring not playing was some sort of false intel being fed by 3DN or whomever.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:44 am
FootballYoda wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:16 am All the adversity the CFL has had, as you point out so well, they still survive, and they will survive Covid. XFL has failed twice, and is soon to fail a third time.

Ah yes the propagandists are quite cute, I mean somebody's already beaten you to how Anthony Calvillo flat turned down the Steelers at the beginning of 2003 (somehow omitting that he had a bum ankle), that's like saying Kurt Angle did the same nine years earlier when he merely had a so-so workout.

So why is the CFL having these issues crop up every three or four years then? Oh and there's a little bit of a difference between the two: One is a national league that has been backed by the Canadian government, the other is taking another swing in a market littered with dead alt leagues. Yet both are in relatively the same spot, unless you're going to try to convince me that all these reports of owners/league officials (FDOs as I call them) favoring not playing was some sort of false intel being fed by 3DN or whomever.
The CFL is having these issues now due to covid. Yes they have long term issues with larger markets, but the XFL/CFL talk/talk is due to covid.... and BTW Canada's restrictive (compared to the USA) response.

If Canada had gotten were USA is with organic herd immunity along with vaccine especially starting for elderly. They'd been further along allowing biz to return.

Even California is removing many restrictions June 15th now. If Canada keeps these restrictions they should offer something to the league.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

There is no upper hand. Like we said before, these are two people in open water; no one is standing on the boat ready (or not) to throw a life preserver. Maybe they'll have a better chance of surviving together, maybe not. But no one here is in a position to look down on anyone.

When the CFL opens training camp, its supporters can start talking smack about how the XFL is a twice-failed league. Until then, they share the same status.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:29 am There is no upper hand. Like we said before, these are two people in open water; no one is standing on the boat ready (or not) to throw a life preserver. Maybe they'll have a better chance of surviving together, maybe not. But no one here is in a position to look down on anyone.

When the CFL opens training camp, its supporters can start talking smack about how the XFL is a twice-failed league. Until then, they share the same status.
I don't see this as CFL vs XFL. Its XFL/CFL vs no FB due to finances. And their fates are not tied together.

CFL is an ongoing league, XFL is non-functioning non-staffed IP property at this point.

Both leagues suffered almost 100% due to Covid. CFL being decentralized and having a longer term base and TV contract is still on going. XFL unfortunately went the bankruptcy route, has new ownership and hasn't done anything in a year.

Best course for short-mid term success is for Canada to allow fans in stands and CFL to play a more or less reg season.

XFL best chance is for a wallet to open. TSL's best chance is for XFL to go away.
4th&long
MVP

Armash Madani from XFL Markcast and 3downnation

Post by 4th&long »

(on the XFL..) ‘There is nothing there other than moldy uniforms and expired helmets’: Unlikely CFL hero Arash Madani issues passionate rebuke of XFL merger talks

https://3downnation.com/2021/04/09/ther ... ger-talks/

>> “You have no football people. You have no helmets. You have nothing. You have nothing but a name. That’s all the XFL is right now. It’s a name,” Madani insisted.

“There is nothing there other than moldy uniforms and expired helmets and shoulder pads.”

“Selling your soul to go down the river with something that is not established whatsoever for a product that can very easily get forgotten about in the sports landscape is a major mistake,” Madani emphasized. <<

Here's the XFL Markcast...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVGEpvy2VVg

Good call out D-R-Rk, they need to state if they have any real intentions, all they are doing is nothing. With no 2021 season and 2022 plans never seriously put forward the XFL brand is 5 games over a year ago, which will turn into 3 yrs and be valueless.

So Fox jumped at TSL, yes Fox approached the TSL not the other way around (same podcast) so they are getting $ and with their low cost model have a shot.