As predicted Canadian press love affair with the "Rock" is on the rocks

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: As predicted Canadian press love affair with the "Rock" is on the rocks

Post by 4th&long »

Joker wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:58 pm Nothing about this in the local media. It’s all the rage up north.
American media has written off the XFL... They need to do something before they come back to the table.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

4th&long wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:14 pm
Joker wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:58 pm Nothing about this in the local media. It’s all the rage up north.
American media has written off the XFL... They need to do something before they come back to the table.
It's not just that: When has the American media ever cared about the CFL, aside from when big-name former NFL players go there? Two non-entities to American sports media getting together and "talking" is not going to stir interest. The only thing surprising about the lack of American media coverage on this topic is that people are surprised by the lack of media coverage.
@gregmparks
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

It's too bad June Jones isn't involved in the discussions. Then we would hear a few things. :D
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:12 pm
It's not just that: When has the American media ever cared about the CFL, aside from when big-name former NFL players go there? Two non-entities to American sports media getting together and "talking" is not going to stir interest. The only thing surprising about the lack of American media coverage on this topic is that people are surprised by the lack of media coverage.
I get the CFL part.... But they aren't paying any attention to the XFL (american) side of the merger either.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

4th&long wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:14 pm

I get the CFL part.... But they aren't paying any attention to the XFL (american) side of the merger either.
Again, the XFL is a non-entity to the sports media world. They haven't played a game in over a year, there have been no moves by the new ownership group, and there's nothing to report on these CFL/XFL discussions because apparently no one is talking (even most of the plugged-in Canadian media are resorting to speculation).

You yourself have complained about the XFL not playing in 2021 and not making any moves as two ways they've dropped the ball not capitalizing on XFL2.0's momentum and staying in the focus of the sports media, so I can't imagine you're all that surprised that no one is taking notice, either.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:00 pm
Again, the XFL is a non-entity to the sports media world. They haven't played a game in over a year, there have been no moves by the new ownership group, and there's nothing to report on these CFL/XFL discussions because apparently no one is talking (even most of the plugged-in Canadian media are resorting to speculation).

You yourself have complained about the XFL not playing in 2021 and not making any moves as two ways they've dropped the ball not capitalizing on XFL2.0's momentum and staying in the focus of the sports media, so I can't imagine you're all that surprised that no one is taking notice, either.
Your points are well taken. No I'm not that surprised. What I'm pointing out is that the media isn't taking the leagues FUTURE seriously either. If they did, they'd be reporting on this more. But this thread was more about how Canadians love affair with G-R-Rk XFL is on the Rocks too, and I'm not surprised by that either.

I've also said that if D-R-Rk have no real intentions they should just say so and offer it for sale. Because I do think someone can still bring the XFL to life but the window is closing (well sans a CFL miracle).
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Christ, we know. Can you just put your talking points in your signature or something?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Article: CFL types need to take a long, realistic look in the mirror

Post by 4th&long »

https://leaderpost.com/sports/football/ ... the-mirror

>> The XFL is already at two downs, as in: Down for the count in 2001 and 2020.

THIS is the salvation of the CFL?

We keep hearing about the vast influence and resources of Johnson, et al. But a comparable description is applicable to WWE supremo Vince McMahon.

If a marketing maven such as McMahon cannot make it work — twice — the alarm bells should be deafening. Yet, the CFL forges ahead with … er, what, exactly?

“The CFL is at a fork in the road where it needs to either become a smaller league or a bigger league,” Naylor told Nelson. <<

Pretty good article... worth full read.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

All I read was a bunch of tribalism/territorilalism that I mentioned yesterday. He talks about the CFL not playing this year as no big deal, that should end it for starters. Then I guess in that case when reality hits, the ex-FL (oh that's original) can be joined by the C(you later)FL.

Hard pass
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

4th&long wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:10 pm
GregParks wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:00 pm

Your points are well taken. No I'm not that surprised. What I'm pointing out is that the media isn't taking the leagues FUTURE seriously either. If they did, they'd be reporting on this more. But this thread was more about how Canadians love affair with G-R-Rk XFL is on the Rocks too, and I'm not surprised by that either.

I've also said that if D-R-Rk have no real intentions they should just say so and offer it for sale. Because I do think someone can still bring the XFL to life but the window is closing (well sans a CFL miracle).
If someone else wanted to make a spring league come to fruition they would. What's stopping the FFL or MLFB or the proposed new USFL for the umpteenth time.

I'm starting to think Red bird essential throws the CFL a bone, give them enough cash to put together a shortened 2021 season, with some games in the U.S. as a swans song/transition to the new XCFL. Probably a lot more cost effective than starting up the XFL from scratch as the CFL already has a small (but not insignificant tv contract) and several million dollars in sponsorship and season ticket money they're sitting on. Let the league have it's swan song, and come.back with stronger hybrid league, with an 80-20 American rules and customs split for spring ,2022 or 2023. This is already what CFL fan boards are suggesting. In that case it'd be beyond stupid to subsidize a CFL fall.season and run an XFL lame duck spring season before a full merger comes in 2023