3down: If the CFL doesn’t play this year, there could be no partnership with XFL: report

XFL Football discussion.
MGB01
MVP

Re: 3down: If the CFL doesn’t play this year, there could be no partnership with XFL: report

Post by MGB01 »

PolarBear wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:04 pm
MGB01 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:18 am There won't be a CFL to partner with, so the headline is actually correct.

Just in the last few weeks since this became public the gradual shift that the CFL is in some sort of position of strength (spoiler: neither are) is a laugh. History means nothing when you're hellbent on gnawing off your only potential lifeline to "save face".

History of the CFL is everything. So you are wrong! The CFL is literally not in a threatening or threatened position. Teams losing $$ is irrelevant. There are millions of examples how CFL teams are actually benefiting from no-CFL season. These are extremely knowledgeable businessmen in Canada and many have the best of the best lawyers working for them If you think a CFL team really lost $7 million out of the bank (Winnipeg Blue Bombers) then you need to contact me for a business lesson.

The reason why the CFL even has looked at the XFL are the plans in place to grow the CFL overall to compete w/ the NFL to retain players and help grown their markets so franchises are self-sustained to grow their off-field ventures.
First of all sonny the original headline reads them not playing in 2021, and you're acknowledging it by talking about how much they're benefiting by not doing so, so no I'm not wrong. Who the hell takes two years off and comes back to where they were? Not in this landscape.

Two I never said anything about money so, would you like a do-over on that wrongness allegation?

Three lifeline is about playing in 2021 so they can actually both walk and chew gum (play and not go into the tank).

It continues.................
Firecop
Coach

Re: 3down: If the CFL doesn’t play this year, there could be no partnership with XFL: report

Post by Firecop »

Thanks for the correction, but help me out here. If the CFA was not in effect, how did they get the WFL out and keep the USFL from coming in? I am obviously missing something here and would appreciate being informed. Thanks!
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Firecop wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:16 pm Thanks for the correction, but help me out here. If the CFA was not in effect, how did they get the WFL out and keep the USFL from coming in? I am obviously missing something here and would appreciate being informed. Thanks!
One, just that. The threat was enough to chase Bassett out, and then the WFL was such a massive flop (mostly since their business model was based/dependent on signing NFL players) that there was no need to go any further.

Two, I'm not sure the USFL ever considered Canada, but it surely would have come up again if it was.

This would all make a good companion piece to End Zones and Border Wars, since there was no mention of the WFL or Vince trying to buy the CFL in 1999. Throw in the current XFL/CFL situation, however much of one that is, and voila.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

OK, thanks MGB01; much appreciated!
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

PolarBear wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:04 pmThere are millions of examples how CFL teams are actually benefiting from no-CFL season.
Could you share three?
If you think a CFL team really lost $7 million out of the bank (Winnipeg Blue Bombers) then you need to contact me for a business lesson.
What would you estimate their actual net cash flow was?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
PolarBear
Receiver

Post by PolarBear »

MGB01 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:36 pm
PolarBear wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:04 pm
MGB01 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:18 am There won't be a CFL to partner with, so the headline is actually correct.

Just in the last few weeks since this became public the gradual shift that the CFL is in some sort of position of strength (spoiler: neither are) is a laugh. History means nothing when you're hellbent on gnawing off your only potential lifeline to "save face".

History of the CFL is everything. So you are wrong! The CFL is literally not in a threatening or threatened position. Teams losing $$ is irrelevant. There are millions of examples how CFL teams are actually benefiting from no-CFL season. These are extremely knowledgeable businessmen in Canada and many have the best of the best lawyers working for them If you think a CFL team really lost $7 million out of the bank (Winnipeg Blue Bombers) then you need to contact me for a business lesson.

The reason why the CFL even has looked at the XFL are the plans in place to grow the CFL overall to compete w/ the NFL to retain players and help grown their markets so franchises are self-sustained to grow their off-field ventures.
First of all sonny the original headline reads them not playing in 2021, and you're acknowledging it by talking about how much they're benefiting by not doing so, so no I'm not wrong. Who the hell takes two years off and comes back to where they were? Not in this landscape.

Two I never said anything about money so, would you like a do-over on that wrongness allegation?

Three lifeline is about playing in 2021 so they can actually both walk and chew gum (play and not go into the tank).

It continues.................

Sorry hun. You are wrong. They are playing in 2021 and not playing in 2020 or 2021 or 2022 will not effect the future of the CFL. Who takes off 2 yrs and come back to where they were? Any pro league can. The NHL took 1 yr off due to a lockout you don't hear them complaining. The CFL has more $ than you think and more $ made than you think.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

PolarBear wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:34 pm Sorry hun. You are wrong. They are playing in 2021 and not playing in 2020 or 2021 or 2022 will not effect the future of the CFL. Who takes off 2 yrs and come back to where they were? Any pro league can. The NHL took 1 yr off due to a lockout you don't hear them complaining. The CFL has more $ than you think and more $ made than you think.
So much fail, tsk tsk................

One the title of the original piece from 3DN was about the CFL not playing in 2021, take it up with them. But if they don't...........see two

Two so you just answered my question about two years with one that did one? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Three kindly point to me where I said anything about money.

Don't make me ask if this is youngorst
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:09 pm
PolarBear wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:34 pm Sorry hun. You are wrong. They are playing in 2021 and not playing in 2020 or 2021 or 2022 will not effect the future of the CFL. Who takes off 2 yrs and come back to where they were? Any pro league can. The NHL took 1 yr off due to a lockout you don't hear them complaining. The CFL has more $ than you think and more $ made than you think.
So much fail, tsk tsk................

One the title of the original piece from 3DN was about the CFL not playing in 2021, take it up with them. But if they don't...........see two

Two so you just answered my question about two years with one that did one? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Three kindly point to me where I said anything about money.

Don't make me ask if this is youngorst
Multiple people in the CFL have stated they NEED to play in 2021 to stay relevant, and finances etc... They can't blame 2020 on covid while people shift to NFL viewing either.