TS: CFL could hit rock bottom with XFL

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

TS: CFL could hit rock bottom with XFL

Post by 4th&long »

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/ ... m-with-xfl

>> It has been a week since the Canadian Football League announced a process that might end up with it killing itself.

Given the involvement of The Rock, this is perhaps fitting in a Hollywood way. You can almost hear the deep-voiced guy that does all the movie trailers: “The only way for the CFL to survive … was to die.”

It also remains possible that nothing of the sort will happen. As commissioner Randy Ambrosie was at pains to explain when the discussions on “collaboration” with the XFL, now owned by Dwayne Johnson and his business partners, were revealed, the two entities could end up with no common ground other than that they had a nice chat. The partnership could be as meaningful as any of those the CFL has struck with overseas football federations from France to Japan, which is to say, not very. <<

The heat is on!
FootballYoda
Quarterback

Re: TS: CFL could hit rock bottom with XFL

Post by FootballYoda »

Plenty of frightened CFL fans over this. Not that I blame them. Too many unknowns.

The thing that burns my biscuits is how the new XFL owners promised many beautiful things and are now holding on for the CFL to come join them. What happened to all the promises?
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

FootballYoda wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:36 pm Plenty of frightened CFL fans over this. Not that I blame them. Too many unknowns.

The thing that burns my biscuits is how the new XFL owners promised many beautiful things and are now holding on for the CFL to come join them. What happened to all the promises?
YES Like I've said, D-R-Rk get a complete pass from American press. They haven't dropped a dime or accomplished squat but everyone treats them like they have because of Star power and RBC has Ca$h in bank. Canadian press are much more critical thinkers so far.

https://3downnation.com/2021/03/19/they ... -buy-time/

>> Money isn’t the issue there, with RedBird Capital boasting $4 billion in spending power and recently investing $750 million in part ownership of the Boston Red Sox, but throwing resources away without certainty is simply bad business.

“It doesn’t make sense financially, no matter how much wealth you have, to put down $250-$300 million on ‘maybe it’ll work this time’,” Suitor insisted.

“You take those things into consideration and the timing of this is they weren’t going to start in 2022 anyway.”

The announcement of their postponement, tucked at the end of their CFL press release, could have been many things but Suitor believes it was an excuse and an attempt to save face.

“I think they were going to postpone the 2022 start anyway and now they’re doing it and using the CFL discussion as part of the reason for it,” he summed up. <<

aka excuse to delay - I listed that as one option of what these 'talk about talk' means on a diff thread when CFL news broke.

Its also why when on 10/1 they postponed 2021 i was suspicious of them. They said they wanted a lucrative TV contract to proceed. Really? And now this. The signs were there. I think they bit off more than they can chew, won't admit it and should have sold back to VM or 'partnered' with him when it was clear they weren't prepared to drop the $$$ necessary.
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

FootballYoda wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:36 pm Plenty of frightened CFL fans over this. Not that I blame them. Too many unknowns.

The Rock goes online to sell energy drinks and tequila, and to promote Young Rock. All money makers for him. But when it comes to the XFL, he talks about doing it for the players... and then does nothing...
It turns out to be blah blah blah. Doesn’t it?

It’s true 4th&long has been preaching the possibility of the XFL not coming back for about a year. Is a year long enough for someone like me to hang on and wait for a league? I waited 19 years for the past XFL to return, but I never thought it would ever come back. I was ready to wait two years for this XFL, but now we’re looking at three? (With no guarantees)

PS. Remember when the XFL made a big deal about selling out their store on Black Friday? They talked more to fans when they wanted them to clear out the store, didn’t they?
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

We all have righteous reasons to be hacked off royally at the new XFL ownership. They talked a real good inclusive game with all kinds of fan engagement on the horizon and what have we got? Zip, Nada and Nyet! They have not only disillusioned tznd disapointed heir greatest fan base, those of us on this thread and previous season ticket holders, they have actually ignored us. All I can think is that they badly misjudged their ability to attract and sway broadcasters and/or investors. Even so, they have made a major PR and marketing debacle out of this, ostracizing their greatest fans.This is a prime example on how NOT to resurrect a league!
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

4th&long wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:36 pm

YES Like I've said, D-R-Rk get a complete pass from American press. They haven't dropped a dime or accomplished squat but everyone treats them like they have because of Star power and RBC has Ca$h in bank. Canadian press are much more critical thinkers so far.
You keep bringing this up in, like, every thread, but seriously, can you show me where the American press is even COVERING the new XFL let alone giving them a pass? Yes, there was interest at first and Garcia did a lot of puff pieces when they bought it but that was almost six months ago. The XFL isn't even on the radar of the press. Look at how little coverage their discussions with the CFL are getting here compared to in Canada. If you think that's "giving them a pass," that's fine, but to me it's even worse: they see it as not even worth covering.
@gregmparks
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

I'm just wondering how the hell the CFL in the last week went from being rife with these FDO (for display only) types who would rather not play this year and save money, when the fact is no CFL in 21 = no CFL EVER, to this unstoppable juggernaut that the XFL is trying to leech off of. Seems we have a few too many impressionables

More as I've said all along, they're more or less in the same boat and are intel gathering.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:22 am
4th&long wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:36 pm

You keep bringing this up in, like, every thread, but seriously, can you show me where the American press is even COVERING the new XFL let alone giving them a pass? Yes, there was interest at first and Garcia did a lot of puff pieces when they bought it but that was almost six months ago. The XFL isn't even on the radar of the press. Look at how little coverage their discussions with the CFL are getting here compared to in Canada. If you think that's "giving them a pass," that's fine, but to me it's even worse: they see it as not even worth covering.
GP - no I can't show you because american press has no faith in DG-RBC-Rk, nor are asking to sit down with them and discuss XFL status and future. You are correct XFL is not on the American press radar screen yet the Rock supposedly has 223mm instragraham followers (yippie!). So they are both ignoring it and giving the Rock and D-R-Rk a major pass as they are afraid to confront a woman owner and Mr popular. So we agree at least in part.

That's not good. VM got press for two years, AAF for 14 months pre launch. This team got no press the minute they passed on 2021 and said 2022 - "you can bet on it!"... Yet no one in the press did.

As I've stated before and Firecop stated above "is that they badly misjudged their ability to attract and sway broadcasters and/or investors."
This is supported by MIkeM's article in which he stated that D-R-Rk "are looking for a lucrative contract", they weren't going to fund the league like VM. As well as the press disinterest.

If these dopes had let VM buy it back instead we'd be getting ready for XFL 2.1; instead we have no AAF, no XFL and this group is "c##k" blocking anyone else from stepping forward. Only the TSL, a league with much lower aspirations, is moving forward and with XFL out for 2 years benefits from a stagnant non-league.

Like I said before GP, I am not happy about this AT ALL just like you and the rest of hardcore FB fans. But if they aren't moving forward, just call it a day and open the door to others.