Who would you like to see play in the XFL2022?

XFL Football discussion.
Coffeeeyes
Quarterback

Who would you like to see play in the XFL2022?

Post by Coffeeeyes »

Seeing a lot of serious discussion about the CFL, TSL and the future of the XFL. How about something a bit more fun?

Some interesting FA's that I think won't get signed or will get signed but would rather be a starter with an XFL team (similar to what Landry Jones signed to be) are RGIII, A.J McCarron and Geno Smith. Younger players like Joshua Dobbs, maybe, if they're free agents, but the 800k or so a year you get from a NFL practice squad is miles above what the XFL can offer.

College players or some young ones, Cole McDonald is interesting, former TSL player, I think K.J Costello or Sam Ehlinger will probably go undrafted or sign late (seven round) and get waived. D'Eriq King is most definitely going to be available and is a delight to watch (I enjoyed him at Houston.) NFL players right now too are Will Grier and Jake Fromm, especially after the Trubisky signing. Some dark horses could be Duck Hodges or Mason Rudolph, I don't know why Tomlin is so high on Rudolph but with Joshua Dobbs being signed to Pittsburgh again, I think Pittsburgh might draft another QB late this year and that QB room is looking pretty crowded.

What do you think?
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Who would you like to see play in the XFL2022?

Post by GregParks »

I appreciate the optimism of the league playing in 2022, but that doesn't seem to be the general sentiment around here nor the direction things seem to be trending. I had a column idea related to personnel for the 2022 season but it just seems futile at this point.

That said, King is returning to Miami for another season this fall, so he won't be available.
@gregmparks
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Inasmuch as I am an optimist, I will indulge.

For the sake of the league, I want continuity. PJ Walker's likely in the NFL to stay, but many of the other players who played the 2020 season should be invited back. Then you look at players from things like FCF and TSL. Travis Toivonen is a FCF guy who deserves a good look. Scour the free agent market for hidden gems and overlooked vets with name recognition: that might be tougher with the NFL's new TV deals, which the NFLPA might use to push to expand rosters permanently.

If the XFL is going to get a favorable TV deal, and the networks are showing they're in the position to pay good money even for middling ratings (see: the NHL deal), they need to show they're not XFL 3.0 and they're instead picking up where XFL 2.0 left off, meaning they'll be able to draw the ratings that XFL 2.0 drew.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Honestly, it doesnt matter who, I just want to see games. They'll get goods players if they do play.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

My first answer would be ANYONE! Because that would mean that there would actually be games played in 2022 and that’s what I want to see.

If I need to come up with a name though it would be Josh Johnson. I know he is currently signed with the 49ers but based off of his career history this could easily change. It’s essential for a league such as the XFL to have quality QB play and nobody outside of PJ Walker played at his level.