SMW:NFL announces media rights deals

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

SMW:NFL announces media rights deals

Post by 4th&long »

$110 Billllion dollars! - Dr Evil

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2021/0 ... uper-bowl/

<<According to Sports Business Journal, the media deals will add up to $10 billion per year, for a total of $110 billion over the life of the deal.<<

FB rules, major missed opportunity by XFL

XFL Tucks tail under new ownership... VM must be kicking himself.

#XFLNOBALZ
laxtreme56
Coach

Re: SMW:NFL announces media rights deals

Post by laxtreme56 »

I'm not sure what the NFL rights have to do with the XFL exactly. That's like saying MLS is kicking themselves over the English premier league multi billion dollar deal, they're not even in the same stratosphere. I concur about McMahon though, he could've kept relatively the same staff the current XFL has now with maybe a few extra social media folks and still had his own league. Instead he let his greed get in the way to save a few pennies.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

It's nice to have another reminder that Mark Cuban ("NFL won't last ten years") is the biggest numbnutz billionaire on the planet

Apparently Rock and co would be having the same success at finding a new CEO as Vince would have once it was apparent Luck wasn't interested in running the league anymore. I'm sure ABC is thrilled at counterprogramming the men's tourney with the women's this weekend.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:19 pm I'm not sure what the NFL rights have to do with the XFL exactly. That's like saying MLS is kicking themselves over the English premier league multi billion dollar deal, they're not even in the same stratosphere. I concur about McMahon though, he could've kept relatively the same staff the current XFL has now with maybe a few extra social media folks and still had his own league. Instead he let his greed get in the way to save a few pennies.
His fear of losing $ absolutely. He bought into the fear that it would never end

As far as the NFL rights and XFL? It shows that FB rules. Its why the AAF and XFL were found. the XFL only needs 1% of that money annually to more or less cover costs and they can't pull it off. No Covid and VM would look like a genius.
Yep 1% of $10 billion is $100 million.

RBC and DG/Rk aren't willing to take the same risk and the TV nets won't bite. The Canadian press isn't impressed and finally calling them out. I hope they have a big rabbit in the hat.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:19 pm I'm not sure what the NFL rights have to do with the XFL exactly. That's like saying MLS is kicking themselves over the English premier league multi billion dollar deal, they're not even in the same stratosphere. I concur about McMahon though, he could've kept relatively the same staff the current XFL has now with maybe a few extra social media folks and still had his own league. Instead he let his greed get in the way to save a few pennies.
I wouldn't call a guy countersuing Luck for the equivalent of about eight cents (to us) greedy, at least here anyway. You could have said that about him in 1999 when he wouldn't settle for just buying the Argos, however (and much like the Trudeau/Trump/Bassett circle, here we are).

I would use it to describe the guy who wants to be Pac 12 commish (yet as long as this lawsuit's active he has as much a chance at it as Deshaun Watson does of being MVP) though. Convincing, or conning Vince, into canceling week six and then bailing isn't my idea of still being involved nor having the desire to do so.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:35 pm
I wouldn't call a guy countersuing Luck for the equivalent of about eight cents (to us) greedy, at least here anyway. You could have said that about him in 1999 when he wouldn't settle for just buying the Argos, however (and much like the Trudeau/Trump/Bassett circle, here we are).

I would use it to describe the guy who wants to be Pac 12 commish (yet as long as this lawsuit's active he has as much a chance at it as Deshaun Watson does of being MVP) though. Convincing, or conning Vince, into canceling week six and then bailing isn't my idea of still being involved nor having the desire to do so.
I hear that
nick1091
Running Back

Post by nick1091 »

MGB01 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:35 pm I wouldn't call a guy countersuing Luck for the equivalent of about eight cents (to us) greedy, at least here anyway. You could have said that about him in 1999 when he wouldn't settle for just buying the Argos, however (and much like the Trudeau/Trump/Bassett circle, here we are).

If anything, OL had the most to lose outside of VM in suspending the season.

The viability of any first year league drops precipitously if they can't finish said year, for whatever the reason. No one wants on their resume that they were the head of an enterprise who couldn't get off the ground in Year 1. If the league folded, OL should've known it'd be hard sledding to get the rest of his contract paid out (despite the personal guarantee), and if he didn't, shame on him.

I'm not an OL apologist nor am I a VM detractor. Vince deserves credit as the financier without which there'd be no XFL2020. In regards to whatever went on the between the two of them, it seems impossible to know the entire truth, but I'm willing to believe portions of both of their sides are accurate.

I do think the NFL rights news is relevant to XFL. NFL rights would be priority #1 to any broadcaster in the game and I could imagine none of them would be eager to engage with DG and co until they finalized their spend with their cash cow.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

nick1091 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:50 pm
MGB01 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:35 pm I wouldn't call a guy countersuing Luck for the equivalent of about eight cents (to us) greedy, at least here anyway. You could have said that about him in 1999 when he wouldn't settle for just buying the Argos, however (and much like the Trudeau/Trump/Bassett circle, here we are).

The viability of any first year league drops precipitously if they can't finish said year, for whatever the reason. No one wants on their resume that they were the head of an enterprise who couldn't get off the ground in Year 1. If the league folded, OL should've known it'd be hard sledding to get the rest of his contract paid out (despite the personal guarantee), and if he didn't, shame on him.

I'm not an OL apologist nor am I a VM detractor. Vince deserves credit as the financier without which there'd be no XFL2020. In regards to whatever went on the between the two of them, it seems impossible to know the entire truth, but I'm willing to believe portions of both of their sides are accurate.

I do think the NFL rights news is relevant to XFL. NFL rights would be priority #1 to any broadcaster in the game and I could imagine none of them would be eager to engage with DG and co until they finalized their spend with their cash cow.
Meaning until they drop some coin?
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

4th&long wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:21 pm

Not to speak for Nick, and I know you've got tunnel vision when it comes to the new ownership group not spending money, but he's clearly talking about "they finalized their spend with their cash cow" as the networks (they) weren't going to talk to the XFL reps until they figured out what they were doing with the NFL (their cash cow).

It's easy to draw a straight line from NFL's big rights fees to the assumption that the XFL should be getting at least some trickle-down from that. In an Observer issue some time ago, Dave Meltzer (say what you will about his wrestling coverage but he knows the TV landscape very well) made the point that the major sports properties are seeing constant increases in rights fees, but secondary or minor leagues are not benefitting from that surge. It's part of the reason why XFL 2.0 didn't cash in, and neither did the TSL when Fox Sports scooped them up.

It's also why Garcia/Johnson/RedBird not moving without a big TV rights deal is disappointing - many predicted this exact scenario happening, that the ESPNs and FOXs of the world wouldn't be investing big cash in a secondary league. Perhaps the new owners misjudged the landscape, overestimated their influence, were naive or whatever. Something tells me if a network wanted to throw $100 million or so at the new owners to show games, they wouldn't be having conversations with the CFL right now.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:19 am
4th&long wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:21 pm

Not to speak for Nick, and I know you've got tunnel vision when it comes to the new ownership group not spending money, but he's clearly talking about "they finalized their spend with their cash cow" as the networks (they) weren't going to talk to the XFL reps until they figured out what they were doing with the NFL (their cash cow).

It's easy to draw a straight line from NFL's big rights fees to the assumption that the XFL should be getting at least some trickle-down from that. In an Observer issue some time ago, Dave Meltzer (say what you will about his wrestling coverage but he knows the TV landscape very well) made the point that the major sports properties are seeing constant increases in rights fees, but secondary or minor leagues are not benefitting from that surge. It's part of the reason why XFL 2.0 didn't cash in, and neither did the TSL when Fox Sports scooped them up.

It's also why Garcia/Johnson/RedBird not moving without a big TV rights deal is disappointing - many predicted this exact scenario happening, that the ESPNs and FOXs of the world wouldn't be investing big cash in a secondary league. Perhaps the new owners misjudged the landscape, overestimated their influence, were naive or whatever. Something tells me if a network wanted to throw $100 million or so at the new owners to show games, they wouldn't be having conversations with the CFL right now.
(bold above) - yes one being me. No one is going to invest into a new league for someone else's benefit. D-R-Rk are asking someone to "finance" them so they can make a fortune. Really? Are these people that stupid? Even the FS1-TSL deal allows Fox to buy into the TSL so if their exposure increases the leagues value then Fox reaps a return on that investment.

But I'm the Rock! But I'm the first woman owner of a FB team! NO ONE CARRRESSSS! And RBC is showing itself to be extremely risk adverse and the 3 haven't figured a way to leverage the Rock's image to benefit the XFL.

Now - I do not draw a line and assume that due to big NFL rights fees that XFL will get some. What I do expect is winter/spring/summer FB to do well as far as ratings and attendance. And that WILL translate into TV $ and sponsorships down the road (and not a long road). VM got scared due to Coronavirus. No Coronavirus and XFL is a success that would result in TV $. Such a shame.