XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Report - CFL to start season mid-July 99%

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:43 pm
KJE wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:19 pm
4th&long wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:13 pm

I LIKE IT. Seeing this at various levels across the league. The XFL talks have gotten the governments attention. The league is taking this cue and pushing back. Its time to drop fear and open up. Start at X % and increase every few weeks.
This has nothing to do with the XFL. This has to be done for this season and would be happening with or without the XFL negotiations.

The CFL is using the precedent of the Canadian government getting involved when John Bassett tried to bring the WFL to Toronto in the mid-70s, only this time using it for leverage instead of a protection plea. So yes XFL involvement is part of it.
Correct eh!
KJE
Running Back

Post by KJE »

4th&long wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:13 pm

I LIKE IT. Seeing this at various levels across the league. The XFL talks have gotten the governments attention. The league is taking this cue and pushing back. Its time to drop fear and open up. Start at X % and increase every few weeks.
This has nothing to do with the XFL. This has to be done for this season and would be happening with or without the XFL negotiations.

The CFL is using the precedent of the Canadian government getting involved when John Bassett tried to bring the WFL to Toronto in the mid-70s, only this time using it for leverage instead of a protection plea. So yes XFL involvement is part of it.
This is a return to play protocol due to covid with the provincial government. I didn't realize covid 19 was around in the mid 70s.

I'm sure glad the XFL was able to use its leverage to get the WHL Jr hockey season going too. They are miracle workers.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

KJE wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:01 pm

This is a return to play protocol due to covid with the provincial government. I didn't realize covid 19 was around in the mid 70s.

I'm sure glad the XFL was able to use its leverage to get the WHL Jr hockey season going too. They are miracle workers.
its not the XFL, its CFL talking to the XFL and what that implies that is what we are discussing.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

Being able to play and playing with fans in attendance are 2 very different things. The CFL can't afford a bubble or else they would've done it in 2020. The question is how much are owners willing to lose? It's just like when restaurants were given the ok to open at 25% capacity in my home state of NJ. Some never even bothered reopening or only on a limited basis as it costs more in operating costs than the slight revenue they would produce.

If the CFL played a 12 game season I'm sure TSN would lower their payout by the equivalent 33%, but would players take a 33% cut? Behind the scenes operating costs don't necessarily decrease linearly either. If even just one club objects to playing in 2021, there will be no CFL season
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Which is why I said instead of (implying different situations to begin with). Unless they're all playing in Toronto this year, what does one provincial government have to do with it?
Yeah they managed to cross over into different sports even!

God has WBB/youngorst got a new handle already? :roll:
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:26 pm Being able to play and playing with fans in attendance are 2 very different things. The CFL can't afford a bubble or else they would've done it in 2020. The question is how much are owners willing to lose? It's just like when restaurants were given the ok to open at 25% capacity in my home state of NJ. Some never even bothered reopening or only on a limited basis as it costs more in operating costs than the slight revenue they would produce.

If the CFL played a 12 game season I'm sure TSN would lower their payout by the equivalent 33%, but would players take a 33% cut? Behind the scenes operating costs don't necessarily decrease linearly either. If even just one club objects to playing in 2021, there will be no CFL season
this isnt 2021, even the Canadian gov knows they will open soon. Even if they open partial, they will finish fully open.
KJE
Running Back

Post by KJE »

MGB01 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:56 pm

Which is why I said instead of (implying different situations to begin with). Unless they're all playing in Toronto this year, what does one provincial government have to do with it?
Yeah they managed to cross over into different sports even!

God has WBB/youngorst got a new handle already? :roll:
If the Roughriders want to play this year, in Saskatchewan, they need permission from the provincial government. Because right now, only eight people can congregate in one group in Saskatchewan. I know this because my son's baseball team currently has a maximum of eight players allowed.

So they need to come up with a return-to-play plan similar to how the NHL got specific provincial government approval for their current season (or in Saskatchewan terms, how the WHL was able to form a bubble for their current season). This will include covid testing for players, quarantines for arriving players, number of players on the field at one time, fans in the stands and how they will keep fans separated, etc.

Each CFL team will have to do this with their provincial government.

This goes back to my original point when I posted the article - this has nothing to do with the XFL or federal government.
KJE
Running Back

Post by KJE »

https://twitter.com/TSNDaveNaylor/statu ... 45121?s=20

"The @CFL has delivered a proposal to the @CFLPA targeting an on-time start to the 2021 season by asking players for a 20 per cent pay cut that would apply if no fans in stands. Salaries would then be topped-up over the course of the season as fans return to stands. #CFL"
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

KJE wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:49 am https://twitter.com/TSNDaveNaylor/statu ... 45121?s=20

"The @CFL has delivered a proposal to the @CFLPA targeting an on-time start to the 2021 season by asking players for a 20 per cent pay cut that would apply if no fans in stands. Salaries would then be topped-up over the course of the season as fans return to stands. #CFL"
That sounds reasonable...

However long term, sans RBC opening up that mothy wallet, all staff are going to need to take a permanent cut themselves to realign costs with revenue. They may lose some good people but they need a shake up to get leaner/smarter.
PolarBear
Receiver

Post by PolarBear »

Majority of all CFL cities will be able to have full vaccinated fans by end of May per source.