TSN - CFL TV deal

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

TSN - CFL TV deal

Post by 4th&long »

Interesting article on TV $

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/ ... l-with-tsn

>> Barnes reports the deal between the CFL and TSN should be worth about $50 million to the CFL, though that number could grow significantly as there will be incentives, ratings-based and otherwise, written into the contract.<<

That's Canadian $ so its more like $40mm U$.

The bold part is what CFL may be looking to capitalize on within Canada.

For context Canada is 11% the size of the USA.

Here's some data on CFL TV ratings:
https://3downnation.com/2019/09/27/ride ... v-ratings/

Based on the country size - the number of viewers in Canada for CFL, is actually pretty good.
Red Head
Linebacker

Re: TSN - CFL TV deal

Post by Red Head »

These are still relevant numbers both in income and ratings so for any newcomers to the CFL please do not believe all the "league is dead" stuff. Believe some of it sure but understand knocking and dumping on the CFL is almost a national pastime for a portion of the population that unfortunately includes some media properties and personalities.
It always gets a very quick and emotional response from the other side which is the CFL feverish diehards and so good for clicks in this day and age that media wants/ needs.

The reality is the CFL is a gate driven league that has not had a ticket sold in a year might not have another sold this year and needs to change that in some way so that revenue is not almost exclusive to seat sales. Hence the international push which now includes the XFL (we are just not sure how ).

How are the XFL ratings numbers and would they be happy with the TSN numbers if they were adjusted for population ( x10 )? How would that compare to NHL MLS some other medium sport properties? Not NFL , MLB or NBA that is not fair.
FootballYoda
Quarterback

Post by FootballYoda »

CFL is not dead, and anyone that thinks this just doesn’t know the league. It might die in Vancouver, Montreal or Toronto, but it will always live strong in Ottawa, Winnipeg, Regina, Calgary and Edmonton.
PolarBear
Receiver

Post by PolarBear »

It's amazing how non-canadians not know how big the CFL is in Canada..... When told its just as big as the NFL to the USA or College Football is to the USA or any other pro league. They just do not see it.

Move to Canada and you will FEEL it!

This is why the CFL will never merge with the XFL or AFL or AFC or NFA or WFL or any league. The other league would have to join the CFL and step up and prove themselves.

This is where the logic needs to be focusing on until anything is announced.
PolarBear
Receiver

Post by PolarBear »

FootballYoda wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:26 pm CFL is not dead, and anyone that thinks this just doesn’t know the league. It might die in Vancouver, Montreal or Toronto, but it will always live strong in Ottawa, Winnipeg, Regina, Calgary and Edmonton.
The BC Lions co-GM blasted people yesterday regarding Lions popularity. I agree wit him as I know the market well. The MLS team is dying after a few yrs ago viewed as the biggest surprise in popularity. blah blah blah. They didn't realize how the fans were getting tickets and why they went to the game. Basically every single soccer fan was going to the game. Soccer is just not popular in Canada.

Hockey popular in Canada? hmmmm. Well why the Canucks struggling at the gate? same reason why the Lions have been. When the wealthiest man in BC wants to own the Lions then you need to know something is brewing to be a success for that organization.

Montreal loves the CFL. its actually my favorite CFL town to visit. Molson Stadium is legit. But the fans are similar to HABS fans. VERY SMART. If team sucks they dont go. NO PARTY! 2 yrs ago the Als started the season as a laughing stock until the team started to win 1 month into the season and it became PARTY CENTRAL.

Toronto is the up/down market but its more to do with the economics and how Toronto is formed as a city with all their social issues. The Maple Leafs and Blue Jays are not successful because of the GTA fans. It's because of the national brand/fans.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

PolarBear/Yoda -

Interesting?

what then do you think is the XFL's motovation? Goal? in these talks then?
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

PolarBear wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:35 pm
FootballYoda wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:26 pm CFL is not dead, and anyone that thinks this just doesn’t know the league. It might die in Vancouver, Montreal or Toronto, but it will always live strong in Ottawa, Winnipeg, Regina, Calgary and Edmonton.
The BC Lions co-GM blasted people yesterday regarding Lions popularity. I agree wit him as I know the market well. The MLS team is dying after a few yrs ago viewed as the biggest surprise in popularity. blah blah blah. They didn't realize how the fans were getting tickets and why they went to the game. Basically every single soccer fan was going to the game. Soccer is just not popular in Canada.

Hockey popular in Canada? hmmmm. Well why the Canucks struggling at the gate? same reason why the Lions have been. When the wealthiest man in BC wants to own the Lions then you need to know something is brewing to be a success for that organization.

Montreal loves the CFL. its actually my favorite CFL town to visit. Molson Stadium is legit. But the fans are similar to HABS fans. VERY SMART. If team sucks they dont go. NO PARTY! 2 yrs ago the Als started the season as a laughing stock until the team started to win 1 month into the season and it became PARTY CENTRAL.

Toronto is the up/down market but its more to do with the economics and how Toronto is formed as a city with all their social issues. The Maple Leafs and Blue Jays are not successful because of the GTA fans. It's because of the national brand/fans.
I love your passion polar bear but I respectfully disagree. The 2 ALs games I attended in July of 2016 and 17 were perhaps 2/3 full on a beautiful summer night. The only time I saw Al's gear was at the game compared to Impact gear worn all around town. While the crowd was not as "old" as say Vancouver or Toronto, I was definitely in the minority at the age of 29/30. The CFL without the big 3 loses its tv deal almost immediately. As they say here in the states, a 2.0 rating in NYC is worth more than a 6.0 in Birmingham.

The CFL needs new revenue streams. Facts are ratings, attendance, and sponsorships are down. These aren't based on opinion or feelings. Ambrose's CFL 2.0 has been a waste of time and money. The semi pro leagues he's partnering up with in Europe are all playing 4 down football. How many people from Norway are really going to turn on a CFL game (if they can even watch it in their home country) to watch their national player ride the bench as a 4th string receiver.

A full XFL-CFL merger may not be needed, at least not initially. However, these talks are far more involved than merely a talent exchange or playing one or 2 meaningless interleague exhibitions a year
FootballYoda
Quarterback

Post by FootballYoda »

4th&long wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:39 pm PolarBear/Yoda -

Interesting?

4th. I don’t have a clue what the XFL will get out of this. As you pointed out elsewhere, are they angling for a network deal that might come from an amalgamated league? This is the only thing I can imagine.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

FootballYoda wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:54 pm
4th&long wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:39 pm PolarBear/Yoda -

Interesting?

4th. I don’t have a clue what the XFL will get out of this. As you pointed out elsewhere, are they angling for a network deal that might come from an amalgamated league? This is the only thing I can imagine.
1) They could be looking to buy out the CFL (Redbird capital) and abandon the XFL (or keep it secondary).

2) They may have found that TV networks don't feel the team is prepared to manage a league and the CFL provides that thereby being necessary and faster way than building from scratch.

3) They may just be using it to learn and buy time.

4) Or it could be vying for a merger or partnership (such as player contract sharing or joint front office)

5) Or ???
PolarBear
Receiver

Post by PolarBear »

laxtreme56 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:13 pm
PolarBear wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:35 pm

I love your passion polar bear but I respectfully disagree. The 2 ALs games I attended in July of 2016 and 17 were perhaps 2/3 full on a beautiful summer night. The only time I saw Al's gear was at the game compared to Impact gear worn all around town. While the crowd was not as "old" as say Vancouver or Toronto, I was definitely in the minority at the age of 29/30. The CFL without the big 3 loses its tv deal almost immediately. As they say here in the states, a 2.0 rating in NYC is worth more than a 6.0 in Birmingham.

The CFL needs new revenue streams. Facts are ratings, attendance, and sponsorships are down. These aren't based on opinion or feelings. Ambrose's CFL 2.0 has been a waste of time and money. The semi pro leagues he's partnering up with in Europe are all playing 4 down football. How many people from Norway are really going to turn on a CFL game (if they can even watch it in their home country) to watch their national player ride the bench as a 4th string receiver.

A full XFL-CFL merger may not be needed, at least not initially. However, these talks are far more involved than merely a talent exchange or playing one or 2 meaningless interleague exhibitions a year

Impact gear all around town? lol come on man. The impact are not even on the sports fans radar in montreal. The alouettes got over 100k to their Grey Cup parade on multiple occasions during their last GC dynasty.

When you went if you went the time you said. That was when the Alouettes were struggling with players/coaches and the ownership neglected the team. Should have gone last season. Should have gone when Calvillo/Cahoon played. Calvillo is a star in Montreal still today.