XFL Football discussion.
PolarBear
Receiver

Re: TSN - CFL TV deal

Post by PolarBear »

FootballYoda wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:54 pm
4th&long wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:39 pm PolarBear/Yoda -

Interesting?

what then do you think is the XFL's motovation? Goal? in these talks then?
4th. I don’t have a clue what the XFL will get out of this. As you pointed out elsewhere, are they angling for a network deal that might come from an amalgamated league? This is the only thing I can imagine.

I think the Rock's decision to buy XFL shows how clueless he really is. He has nothing to offer. He could have saved his $$ and just picked up the phone and contacted the CFL about a partnership with the CFL and a newly vision Football league in the U.S.A

Everyone is so amazed with the Rock. He is no where near a premiere actor. Yes he gets paid lots but thats because the production companies cheap out on the film and pay it all to 1 or 2 actors.

Tom Cruise could be making $100 million for M.I but he doesn't to spread it out to the franchise.

I do not dislike Johnson but he is nowhere near the businessman people make him out to be.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Not sure what the Rock's acting ability has to do with anything, but he parlayed a professional wrestling career into a net worth of $400M. If you think this guy isn't financially savvy, I'd be curious who you think is.

Regardless, he's just the celebrity face of the group. The Burt Reynolds to RedBird's John Bassett.

It is funny to see The Rock's acting choices being brought up. Brings back fond memories of people treating WWE's booking decisions as information relevant to the XFL.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

The Rock is the celebrity ambassador of the group, like how Magic Johnson is the celebrity ambassador for the Los Angeles Dodgers while Mark Walter and Peter Guber (also co-owner of Golden State Warriors) are the main money guys and business people behind the Dodgers.
PolarBear
Receiver

Post by PolarBear »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:16 pm The Rock is the celebrity ambassador of the group, like how Magic Johnson is the celebrity ambassador for the Los Angeles Dodgers while Mark Walter and Peter Guber (also co-owner of Golden State Warriors) are the main money guys and business people behind the Dodgers.

Everything you said lol is incorrect lol literally.

Magic Johnson is not an ambassador. He put tons of $$ and also is part of the teams management decisions like hiring and signings. Heck he even gave input to how the dodger dog concession stand was to look 2 yrs ago.

The Rock is all in with this and really wants to become the new Art Rooney or Jerry Jones or Molson family. I just do not see it working out well because I don't see him making the right decisions.

You have to run the league AS IS! Keep everything the same. Except for 4downs and super wide field. Maybe there can be a compromise. But if he things he can take CFL teams and expand XFL. It aint working.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Tank55 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:39 am Not sure what the Rock's acting ability has to do with anything, but he parlayed a professional wrestling career into a net worth of $400M. If you think this guy isn't financially savvy, I'd be curious who you think is.

Regardless, he's just the celebrity face of the group. The Burt Reynolds to RedBird's John Bassett.

It is funny to see The Rock's acting choices being brought up. Brings back fond memories of people treating WWE's booking decisions as information relevant to the XFL.
Heh, you'd be surprised how much people take things verbatim, even far exceeding the first sight of ridiculousness. Case in point, Trump "buying RAW" in 2009 and then the stock drops the next day. So in reality your average mark isn't really any different than your average corporate bigwig or media insider.

I mean hell should I start organizing a CBS boycott or send Mark Harmon sympathy letters cause Gibbs got suspended from NCIS? Or could you imagine the NFL just up and leaving CBS out of their new TV deal for it?
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

PolarBear wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:39 pm
GDAWG wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:16 pm The Rock is the celebrity ambassador of the group, like how Magic Johnson is the celebrity ambassador for the Los Angeles Dodgers while Mark Walter and Peter Guber (also co-owner of Golden State Warriors) are the main money guys and business people behind the Dodgers.

Everything you said lol is incorrect lol literally.

Magic Johnson is not an ambassador. He put tons of $$ and also is part of the teams management decisions like hiring and signings. Heck he even gave input to how the dodger dog concession stand was to look 2 yrs ago.

The Rock is all in with this and really wants to become the new Art Rooney or Jerry Jones or Molson family. I just do not see it working out well because I don't see him making the right decisions.

You have to run the league AS IS! Keep everything the same. Except for 4downs and super wide field. Maybe there can be a compromise. But if he things he can take CFL teams and expand XFL. It aint working.
Huh.....I didn't know he was involved in personnel moves. I thought he only invested to be an owner.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Sounds like he was getting confused with his Laker gig, I mean I don't remember Magic having to give the OK to plunk down large for Mookie Betts or Trevor Bauer
Coffeeeyes
Quarterback

Post by Coffeeeyes »

laxtreme56 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:13 pm
PolarBear wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:35 pm
FootballYoda wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:26 pm CFL is not dead, and anyone that thinks this just doesn’t know the league. It might die in Vancouver, Montreal or Toronto, but it will always live strong in Ottawa, Winnipeg, Regina, Calgary and Edmonton.
The BC Lions co-GM blasted people yesterday regarding Lions popularity. I agree wit him as I know the market well. The MLS team is dying after a few yrs ago viewed as the biggest surprise in popularity. blah blah blah. They didn't realize how the fans were getting tickets and why they went to the game. Basically every single soccer fan was going to the game. Soccer is just not popular in Canada.

Hockey popular in Canada? hmmmm. Well why the Canucks struggling at the gate? same reason why the Lions have been. When the wealthiest man in BC wants to own the Lions then you need to know something is brewing to be a success for that organization.

Montreal loves the CFL. its actually my favorite CFL town to visit. Molson Stadium is legit. But the fans are similar to HABS fans. VERY SMART. If team sucks they dont go. NO PARTY! 2 yrs ago the Als started the season as a laughing stock until the team started to win 1 month into the season and it became PARTY CENTRAL.

Toronto is the up/down market but its more to do with the economics and how Toronto is formed as a city with all their social issues. The Maple Leafs and Blue Jays are not successful because of the GTA fans. It's because of the national brand/fans.
The CFL needs new revenue streams. Facts are ratings, attendance, and sponsorships are down. These aren't based on opinion or feelings. Ambrose's CFL 2.0 has been a waste of time and money. The semi pro leagues he's partnering up with in Europe are all playing 4 down football. How many people from Norway are really going to turn on a CFL game (if they can even watch it in their home country) to watch their national player ride the bench as a 4th string receiver.
You're more than wrong. Ambrose's CFL 2.0 isn't just about revenue. He sees the CFL's responsibility towards football as bigger than Canada. He knows ways he can diversify the game.

Yes no one is going to turn on a game because the fourth string DE playing special teams is from Austria but how are you going to get good Austrian players if they keep playing in poor stadiums with poor coaching staff in Austria? You need to understand that it's a low risk high reward model that Ambrose is setting up and it's a long game. You're going to be trying to cultivate this fanbase and youth talent in these countries for generations before you can truly tap into it, but you got there first before the NFL did and you may sign the first big Austrian player that makes news in Austria and gets more CFL fans and that's all because you put the effort in. That is what they're seeking, and people do watch and this strategy does work.

Basketball is a good example. Football will never have the olympics like Basketball did. The argument about that is for another day but football has to grow organically. The NBA knew that basketball had international potential (and the olympics proved that, CFL is going in blind). They set up training camps in countries that had no previous affinity for the sport like France, they played games in London and they played against local teams that had sprouted and despite getting destroyed, the players learnt from the NBA players. The NBA now is an international sport and it took 70 years for it to finally be competitive and it is good. I am a fan of the San Antonio Spurs and whenever Jakob Poeltl plays, the games will broadcast in Austria. That is all because he is Austrian and is starting.

The CFL knows what they're doing. The idea that it was a failure like it was instantly supposed to yield results is foolish. No one expected Norway to watch CFL in a year, no one expected Norwegian football players to be good.
Coffeeeyes
Quarterback

Post by Coffeeeyes »

PolarBear wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:52 pm
4th&long wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:39 pm PolarBear/Yoda -

Interesting?

what then do you think is the XFL's motovation? Goal? in these talks then?
4th. I don’t have a clue what the XFL will get out of this. As you pointed out elsewhere, are they angling for a network deal that might come from an amalgamated league? This is the only thing I can imagine.

I think the Rock's decision to buy XFL shows how clueless he really is. He has nothing to offer. He could have saved his $$ and just picked up the phone and contacted the CFL about a partnership with the CFL and a newly vision Football league in the U.S.A

Everyone is so amazed with the Rock. He is no where near a premiere actor. Yes he gets paid lots but thats because the production companies cheap out on the film and pay it all to 1 or 2 actors.

Tom Cruise could be making $100 million for M.I but he doesn't to spread it out to the franchise.

I do not dislike Johnson but he is nowhere near the businessman people make him out to be.
He's the highest paid actor in Hollywood. He gets paid that much because he has a good business mind and produces almost all the movies he stars in, he made $100 million from Jumanji alone. He's a smart man. He knows what hes doing.
PolarBear
Receiver

Post by PolarBear »

Coffeeeyes wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:59 pm
PolarBear wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:52 pm

He's the highest paid actor in Hollywood. He gets paid that much because he has a good business mind and produces almost all the movies he stars in, he made $100 million from Jumanji alone. He's a smart man. He knows what hes doing.

The Rock gets paid more in movies because he takes majority of the profits and gives nothing back to the rest. The Rock isn't even a top 50 actor in movies. There are tons of actors that are bigger/better but take cuts to get films done. The Rock hasn't done that.