UFPA: CFL may not play in 2021 OR 2022

XFL Football discussion.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: UFPA: CFL may not play in 2021 OR 2022

Post by GregParks »

Tank55 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:33 pm He must mean XFL; he references himself as being a "#2 pick", and he was the Dragons' second pick in the skill player phase of the draft.

It sounds like he thought he was going to be a Tier 2 player and ended up being a Tier 3? I remember talk of that; I don't remember how it ended up shaking out. Were there tiers outside of the quarterbacks?

https://theathleteshub.org/xfls-player- ... explained/
I didn't think there ended up being tiers beyond QBs, certainly not based on draft position. Although some players seemed to get paid more, as came out with the Antonio Callaway news in the Luck/McMahon lawsuit.

I think the UFPA's intentions are good and maybe they see themselves as an outside entity more able to be "truthful" than even the CFLPA, but overstepping the CFLPA's bounds is not a good look.
@gregmparks
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

Kenneth Farrow explained it on Twitter when he inferred that players had been contacting him and saying the time to report to camp was approaching, and the league had not yet contacted any players.

Wouldn't this cause players to get nervous? I believe this is spawned the idea that the league would not play, and it was through unofficial communications that took place, mainly due to the absence of official league communications.

Earlier this evening the UFPA account messaged me and said, "The CFLPA for the first time since the XFL announcement actually communicated with its members today. That’s a small win."

There you have it. It was largely about poor communications. The CFLPA corrected this. UFPA did its job.

Bottom line, the UFPA is not interested in the CFL or XFL not playing. They are all about putting players on the field.

From UFPA organizer Kenneth Farrow to me, "It’s wild we have to fight for transparency and honesty."

This is what it is all about. The UFPA tweeted exactly what they had heard. The organization is not made up of liars, and have no reason to make up something that did not exist. The overall result was an official announcement that had previously been lacking. The UFPA succeeded in helping the players.

Now that more people know who they are, they can probably do more in this respect.
Last edited by MarkNelson on Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

MarkNelson wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:40 pm Kenneth Farrow explained it on Twitter when he inferred that players had been contacting him and saying the time to report to camp was approaching, and the league had not yet contacted any players.

Wouldn't this cause players to get nervous? I believe this is spawned the idea that the league would not play, and it was through unofficial communications that took place, mainly due to the absence of official league communications.
MarkNelson wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:40 pmThe organization is not made up of liars, and have no reason to make up something that did not exist.
I'm not following how these can both be true. The UFPA puts out a statement that says there's a "strong likelihood" that the 2021 AND 2022 seasons are going to be canceled, and now the foundation is a lack of information from the league regarding the start of training camp? If that's not making things up, what is it?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

Tank55 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:50 pm I'm not following how these can both be true. The UFPA puts out a statement that says there's a "strong likelihood" that the 2021 AND 2022 seasons are going to be canceled, and now the foundation is a lack of information from the league regarding the start of training camp? If that's not making things up, what is it?
Why would they make this up?

They said they heard it from players and others. How is that not a plausible explanation?
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

MarkNelson wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:53 pm Why would they make this up?
Incompetence?
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

MarkNelson wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:53 pmThey said they heard it from players and others. How is that not a plausible explanation?
First, the players are not a useful source. They aren't in charge or in discussions with those who are. Seems like if anyone would know that, it would be the UFPA. Maybe they are actually in contact with GMs or whatever; I honestly really doubt it at this point.

Second, they heard what from their sources? That there's been no communication regrading training camp, or that the 2021 and 2022 seasons are being canceled? Because it it's the former, that doesn't explain their statement.

I think the UFPA is a fine idea and Farrow seems well-intentioned. That doesn't make today any less amateurish.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

Not likely. The story was real, and came from real sources. Not made up, although it MAY have been completely wrong.

I'd like to point out that the CFL may have refuted the rumor, but they still haven't hit the field. Personally, I am a fan and would hate it if they didn't play.

I will continue to respect Farrow and the UFPA as I firmly believe in what they stand for. I stand by my opinion.
FootballYoda
Quarterback

Post by FootballYoda »

Everybody craps on the UFPA for speaking out for players who wanted to hear from their league. I just read that the CFLPA warned their players to not listen to the UFPA. Isn’t that ironic, coming from a players association that had been silent.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MarkNelson wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:53 pm
Tank55 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:50 pm I'm not following how these can both be true. The UFPA puts out a statement that says there's a "strong likelihood" that the 2021 AND 2022 seasons are going to be canceled, and now the foundation is a lack of information from the league regarding the start of training camp? If that's not making things up, what is it?
Why would they make this up?

They said they heard it from players and others. How is that not a plausible explanation?
Its very plausible.

Aft AAF (2019) canceled, XFL 2020 canceled, 2021 canceled, 2020 paused. And now that XFL with that track record is associating with the CFL... Add to that Covid and an ultra cautious Canadian government(s) that wants 110% vaccinated before opening. Sure the players, coaches, etc.... should be worried.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

4th&long wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:25 pmIts very plausible.

Aft AAF (2019) canceled, XFL 2020 canceled, 2021 canceled, 2020 paused. And now that XFL with that track record is associating with the CFL... Add to that Covid and an ultra cautious Canadian government(s) that wants 110% vaccinated before opening. Sure the players, coaches, etc.... should be worried.
What!? You JUST told us they were definitely playing:
4th&long wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:59 am2 years off is too long to bounce back from - Covid is reeling (at least in US) - yes they will play.