Canadian News: Fearmongers too quick on draw - Some rumours surrounding possible CFL/XFL partnership simply silly

XFL Football discussion.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Canadian News: Fearmongers too quick on draw - Some rumours surrounding possible CFL/XFL partnership simply silly

Post by MarkNelson »

Fearmongers too quick on draw - Some rumours surrounding possible CFL/XFL partnership simply silly, say Blue players

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sport ... 98002.html

As announcements go, it was vague at best.

"The Canadian Football League and XFL owners Dany Garcia, Dwayne Johnson, and RedBird Capital have agreed to work together to identify opportunities for the leagues to collaborate, innovate, and grow the game of football," said the CFL in a release last week.

It didn’t say the two leagues were getting married and that the CFL was throwing its traditions and rulebook out the window, but that one sentence led to more questions — and outrage — than answers.

"I find it interesting that no one is talking about why the CFL, who is on the verge of bankruptcy, is trying to merge with a twice-failed league and what is so exciting about that," said former Winnipeg Blue Bombers fullback John Rush, who’s a free agent, on Twitter.

CJOB’s game-day broadcast team of Bob Irving and seven-time CFL all-star Doug Brown are two of many to have shared similar sentiments online.

"Like am I missing something here? Or is this the literal definition of a sellout?"

But a pair of veterans on the Bombers aren’t jumping to any conclusions on what this could lead to and they’re looking at a potential partnership with an open mind.

"I don’t think you get anywhere in the world if you say no all the time. I think you have to be open to conversations as you never know where they might lead," linebacker Adam Bighill told the Free Press on Monday.

"So, just by (the leagues) talking, doesn’t mean all of a sudden everyone (should) start writing articles on a hypothesis on what might happen and the league is going to go to four downs and you’re no longer going to have the CFL game. Like, those people are completely taking a conversation and turning it into a scenario with no justification. You know, John Rush and his comments are much of the same. It’s just jumping to (conclusions) on no factual basis.

"It’s just conversations at this point and if anything, you would have to trust the CFL and that it’s in the best interest of the league to be in these conversations."

While the XFL news has been grabbing everyone’s attention, offensive lineman Patrick Neufeld said players are more concerned with the state of the 2021 CFL season. Until there’s more clarity on what’s happening with the XFL, he said it’s hard to have an opinion on it.

"There’s just not enough information to even comment on what could really happen. There’s just so much that’s unknown still," said Neufeld, a nine-year CFL vet based out of Saskatoon.

"I think the CFLPA and our president Solomon Elimimian said it best: they’re looking at any avenues to grow the CFL and innovate the league and the game and to be able to push our league worldwide and grow a fan base. I think if they can do that, that’s going to be great, but there are people talking about rules and changes and all of that stuff but there’s just literally no information you could thoroughly or accurately speculate on."

Johnson, also known as The Rock, hasn’t been shy about forming a tag-team with the CFL. On Thursday evening the former WWE superstar-turned-actor tweeted to his 15.1 million Twitter followers that the early dialogue between the CFL and XFL has been "very exciting" and that he has a "deep respect for the legacy of the CFL." He also made an Instagram post the day before that credited the CFL for changing his life. Before stepping into the squared circle, Johnson spent a couple of months on the Calgary Stampeders practice squad in 1995 before getting cut. Johnson has the third-most Instagram followers in the world at 223 million.

It’s likely the most publicity the CFL has gotten since Angelo Mosca and Joe Kapp did their best impression of The Rock versus (Stone Cold) Steve Austin.

"He’s one of the most recognizable people on the face of the earth. One of the biggest movie stars of all time. For him to be talking about our league is phenomenal," Neufeld said.

"Any way that we can have people talk about our league and just even get someone to search it up and maybe watch a clip or two or check out an old game and see how cool it is and how unique it is, it’s awesome. He has such a crazy cool story about his history with the league and he’s spoken about it a lot."

Bighill, who’s also a player rep for the CFLPA, admits he was surprised by the announcement, but he doesn’t view it as the CFL pushing a panic button.

"At the end of the day, you don’t get anywhere if you don’t have conversations and ask questions and explore opportunities... If you never explore, you’re going to be doing the same things you’ve been doing. Many would say the things that have been done in the CFL are not as productive as we would’ve hoped," said Bighill.

taylor.allen@freepress.mb.ca
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
4th&long
MVP

Re: Canadian News: Fearmongers too quick on draw - Some rumours surrounding possible CFL/XFL partnership simply silly

Post by 4th&long »

MarkNelson wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:36 am Fearmongers too quick on draw - Some rumours surrounding possible CFL/XFL partnership simply silly, say Blue players

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sport ... 98002.html

As announcements go, it was vague at best.

"The Canadian Football League and XFL owners Dany Garcia, Dwayne Johnson, and RedBird Capital have agreed to work together to identify opportunities for the leagues to collaborate, innovate, and grow the game of football," said the CFL in a release last week.

It didn’t say the two leagues were getting married and that the CFL was throwing its traditions and rulebook out the window, but that one sentence led to more questions — and outrage — than answers.

"I find it interesting that no one is talking about why the CFL, who is on the verge of bankruptcy, is trying to merge with a twice-failed league and what is so exciting about that," said former Winnipeg Blue Bombers fullback John Rush, who’s a free agent, on Twitter.

CJOB’s game-day broadcast team of Bob Irving and seven-time CFL all-star Doug Brown are two of many to have shared similar sentiments online.

"Like am I missing something here? Or is this the literal definition of a sellout?"

But a pair of veterans on the Bombers aren’t jumping to any conclusions on what this could lead to and they’re looking at a potential partnership with an open mind.

"I don’t think you get anywhere in the world if you say no all the time. I think you have to be open to conversations as you never know where they might lead," linebacker Adam Bighill told the Free Press on Monday.

"So, just by (the leagues) talking, doesn’t mean all of a sudden everyone (should) start writing articles on a hypothesis on what might happen and the league is going to go to four downs and you’re no longer going to have the CFL game. Like, those people are completely taking a conversation and turning it into a scenario with no justification. You know, John Rush and his comments are much of the same. It’s just jumping to (conclusions) on no factual basis.

"It’s just conversations at this point and if anything, you would have to trust the CFL and that it’s in the best interest of the league to be in these conversations."

While the XFL news has been grabbing everyone’s attention, offensive lineman Patrick Neufeld said players are more concerned with the state of the 2021 CFL season. Until there’s more clarity on what’s happening with the XFL, he said it’s hard to have an opinion on it.

"There’s just not enough information to even comment on what could really happen. There’s just so much that’s unknown still," said Neufeld, a nine-year CFL vet based out of Saskatoon.

"I think the CFLPA and our president Solomon Elimimian said it best: they’re looking at any avenues to grow the CFL and innovate the league and the game and to be able to push our league worldwide and grow a fan base. I think if they can do that, that’s going to be great, but there are people talking about rules and changes and all of that stuff but there’s just literally no information you could thoroughly or accurately speculate on."

Johnson, also known as The Rock, hasn’t been shy about forming a tag-team with the CFL. On Thursday evening the former WWE superstar-turned-actor tweeted to his 15.1 million Twitter followers that the early dialogue between the CFL and XFL has been "very exciting" and that he has a "deep respect for the legacy of the CFL." He also made an Instagram post the day before that credited the CFL for changing his life. Before stepping into the squared circle, Johnson spent a couple of months on the Calgary Stampeders practice squad in 1995 before getting cut. Johnson has the third-most Instagram followers in the world at 223 million.

It’s likely the most publicity the CFL has gotten since Angelo Mosca and Joe Kapp did their best impression of The Rock versus (Stone Cold) Steve Austin.

"He’s one of the most recognizable people on the face of the earth. One of the biggest movie stars of all time. For him to be talking about our league is phenomenal," Neufeld said.

"Any way that we can have people talk about our league and just even get someone to search it up and maybe watch a clip or two or check out an old game and see how cool it is and how unique it is, it’s awesome. He has such a crazy cool story about his history with the league and he’s spoken about it a lot."

Bighill, who’s also a player rep for the CFLPA, admits he was surprised by the announcement, but he doesn’t view it as the CFL pushing a panic button.

"At the end of the day, you don’t get anywhere if you don’t have conversations and ask questions and explore opportunities... If you never explore, you’re going to be doing the same things you’ve been doing. Many would say the things that have been done in the CFL are not as productive as we would’ve hoped," said Bighill.

taylor.allen@freepress.mb.ca
>> "I find it interesting that no one is talking about why the CFL, who is on the verge of bankruptcy, is trying to merge with a twice-failed league and what is so exciting about that," said former Winnipeg Blue Bombers fullback John Rush, who’s a free agent, on Twitter. <<

The point is well taken, and the love affair with the Rock will fade fast. The big question that will be asked soon from media is the Jerry Maguire line "Show me the Money" The DG/RBC/Rk ownership group apparently hasn't dropped a dime on XFL yet.... What makes the CFL think they will get bailed out? In other words talk is cheap, actions speak louder than words and having money isn't the same as parting with it. Recall they are looking for a "lucrative TV contract" to move forward.
4th&long
MVP

CBC News: Would partnership with XFL help or hurt the CFL?

Post by 4th&long »

Like I was saying Canadian media will be asking questions much more than giving a pass - its already starting.

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1874344003612

>> Would partnership with XFL help or hurt the CFL?

The CFL is in talks about a partnership with the American XFL, and its new owner Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson. While some say the money and new fans would help the league, others worry about what it could mean for the future of the game in Canada.<<
FootballYoda
Quarterback

Re: Canadian News: Fearmongers too quick on draw - Some rumours surrounding possible CFL/XFL partnership simply silly

Post by FootballYoda »

There is much to discuss before the CFL will agree to anything. They don’t seem to be concerned about doing anything this season. Does this mean the XFL is going to sit around and wait?

Maybe no XFL 2022?
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

FootballYoda wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:51 pm There is much to discuss before the CFL will agree to anything. They don’t seem to be concerned about doing anything this season. Does this mean the XFL is going to sit around and wait?

Maybe no XFL 2022?
What do you mean MAYBE no XFL in 2022... They already put it on hold... per XFL website.

https://www.xfl.com/xfl-frequently-asked-questions

>> 3. When will the game schedule be released?

We do not know at this point. The 2022 XFL season is on hold, pending the outcome of the CFL discussions.<<
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

The XFL put their planning on “pause”. They did not say no to 2022. Of course, they can’t pause it too long otherwise the 2022 window will slip away.
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MarkNelson wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:44 pm The XFL put their planning on “pause”. They did not say no to 2022. Of course, they can’t pause it too long otherwise the 2022 window will slip away.
Well this is true, or at least what they state.
Last edited by 4th&long on Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

MarkNelson wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:44 pm The XFL put their planning on “pause”. They did not say no to 2022. Of course, they can’t pause it too long otherwise the 2022 window will slip away.
This! I think people are reading too much into the "pause" as if the XFL is in trouble. More than likely the plans to merge/partner/absorb the CFL are much further along than has been hinted at. So instead of announcing plans to kickoff in February 2022 they are awaiting the end result of talks with CFL HQ. Perhaps they will not need all 8 XFL cities to return, 6 may suffice by dropping LA and either Dallas or Tampa. Perhaps move Dallas to San Antonio and rebuild the Commanders 2.0? An April-August time frame is my preference but would TSN want the CFL head to head with the Stanley Cup playoffs. It may hurt the early season ratings and attendance but the X/CFL would become the new boys of summer. From June-Labor Day the biggest sporting event is the MLB all star game, played on a week night.

Now of course, if the partnership falls through could Redbird take their ball and go home? Of course, nothing in life is guaranteed. With that being said, if the option is merge for 2022 or play separately in 2022 and combine forces in 2023, then I could see RedBird sitting out the year and gearing up for 2023. Would that be great from an XFL fan perspective, not exactly, but these guys didn't acquire billions in assets by being idiots.

If a merger comes together sooner than later and/or the Canadian Government drags its feet on reopening, then perhaps the CFL also sits out a "lame duck" 2021 shortened season and starts up strong in the spring of 2022.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:48 pm
This! I think people are reading too much into the "pause" as if the XFL is in trouble. More than likely the plans to merge/partner/absorb the CFL are much further along than has been hinted at. So instead of announcing plans to kickoff in February 2022 they are awaiting the end result of talks with CFL HQ. Perhaps they will not need all 8 XFL cities to return, 6 may suffice by dropping LA and either Dallas or Tampa. Perhaps move Dallas to San Antonio and rebuild the Commanders 2.0? An April-August time frame is my preference but would TSN want the CFL head to head with the Stanley Cup playoffs. It may hurt the early season ratings and attendance but the X/CFL would become the new boys of summer. From June-Labor Day the biggest sporting event is the MLB all star game, played on a week night.

Now of course, if the partnership falls through could Redbird take their ball and go home? Of course, nothing in life is guaranteed. With that being said, if the option is merge for 2022 or play separately in 2022 and combine forces in 2023, then I could see RedBird sitting out the year and gearing up for 2023. Would that be great from an XFL fan perspective, not exactly, but these guys didn't acquire billions in assets by being idiots.

If a merger comes together sooner than later and/or the Canadian Government drags its feet on reopening, then perhaps the CFL also sits out a "lame duck" 2021 shortened season and starts up strong in the spring of 2022.
Well this is true, or at least what they state.

But lets go back a few months, on 10/1 they stated they would delay 2021 due to covid and launch in 2022. They would forgo the bubble idea that Pollack pushed in bankruptcy. A decision that was followed a day later by Fox signing a deal with the TSL. A decision, as I feared, was a BAD sign.
We also heard them state they wanted a Lucrative media deal. Now 5.5 month later, with nothing yet accomplished as far as a actual league reformed. A CFO position still unfilled. Now they are pausing the 2022 season, and with no staff in place they will need to go from nothing to full league play in 8 months (assuming this process ends in 3 months with a decision to not merge).

I don't say this lightly because I really wanted this to work. I really do think if VM had repurchased we'd be talking about last weeks games and getting ready for next week. Regardless the D-R-Rk purchases has not progressed toward a return of XFL on the field. And the "pause" is going over like a fart in a church.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

Looks like 4 down football has been on its way, even before the XFL rumors.
https://torontosun.com/sports/football/ ... s-just-yet

"And what of the CFL’s quirky rulebook? Sources say there is more appetite among governors for change than most diehard three-down fans might hope. One source said four-down football, with opponents less than a foot apart on the line of scrimmage had been debated by the CFL’s 10-member innovation committee before the XFL’s interest was widely known."

I, for one, enjoy the Canadian game. However, the whole world plays 4 down football, especially in places the CFL has implemented its costly 2.0 initiative. The CFL was headed for a change, Covid and now the XFL, may be just what they needed to reinvent themselves.