XFL Expansion teams for inaugural CFL season

XFL Football discussion.
PolarBear
Receiver

XFL Expansion teams for inaugural CFL season

Post by PolarBear »

Oakland (Bay Area) ------ Join Oakland A's water front stadium plan.

San Jose / Sacramento ------- Getting a 2nd team in the Bay area would be great for a rival and increase exposure. San Jose has tons of Canadians in the area (Neil Young is already a Winnipeg Jets fan that attends Sharks games) And having 2 teams in this area would be great for television deal.

San Diego ------- no brainer. Hungry fan base. Only has 1 pro sports team. They are building a brand new stadium. This is a must location.

Honolulu ------ Polynesians love their Football and the they are fighting hard to build a new Hawaii stadium for UH. You would be the big show in town and imagine the pride a Hawaii team would have if they adapt a territorial roster rule that you must have a certain # of local players. This is what would make the XFL/CFL stand out.

St. Louis ------ A great sports town. I'd find real owners that are serious about developing a new franchise and possibly a new stadium. Tear down the dome. Build a nice downtown Football stadium next to Busch stadium.

RICHMOND/HAMPTON ROADS ----- They want a professional sports team badly. True story is that they were wanting a CFL franchise in the '90s and had a plan to build a 22k seat stadium before the CFL moved their last u.s franchise to Montreal. Imagine the talent pool they would have if they use a territorial roster rule.

Baltimore ------ Yes they have the RAVENS. But Baltimore loved the CFL Stallions. I can see them averaging 30k fans and have this CFL/XFL franchise a big part of the local sports scene. Great media coverage and would give Richmond/Hampton Roads a great rival

Arlington-VA ------ If you don't put a team in Richmond/H.R then you have to consider one of the richest cities in the U.S.A that does not have a pro sports league. There has been rumors of the Redskins building a stadium. And lets not forget the Montreal Expos were actually planning on moving to Arlington VA which is just across the water from Washington, DC.

Hartford ------ Hartford sports fans have a huge affiliation with Canada sports fans due to their hockey history. Many Canadian tv channels were once (maybe still today) found on the basic cable packages in the area. Hartford has tried for years to bring in a major tenant to spur interest in redeveloping N. downtown. They built a new baseball stadium and have talked about a hockey arena for NHL if they don't renovate XL Civic Center, or even a Football stadium that could be the home of a XFL/CFL franchise and UCONN Program

Fargo ----- Fargo North Dakota? This state has produced some of the best football players in College Football the last decade. Another plus if league adapts territorial rule. They are currently in talks to build a brand new stadium that seats 25,000. Fargo can be compared to what Green Bay is to the U.S.A. A small sports town with great sports fans. Would be a great rival for Winnipeg for interleague games.

So you can get a great 8 or 9 franchises from this list..... build up the league the right way. Then expand when time is right!

One last thing. This XFL league has to drop stupid names and logos. Be more professional and be taken seriously.
4th&long
MVP

Re: XFL Expansion teams for inaugural CFL season

Post by 4th&long »

There won't be any XFL expansion and the namesin 2020 are great. Don't look at 2001
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Maybe not expansion, but I think a move to spring/summer season would force some changes. I'm especially worried about DC and whether they'll be allowed to share Audi Field with DC United. Los Angeles could also be affected.

The heat could be an issue in Houston and Dallas. I don't think it's necessarily a deal breaker, but something to keep in mind.

Tampa was already in trouble, IMO.

One market I'd definitely keep an eye on is Detroit, which checks all of the XFL's big boxes (it was one of the cities the league registered web domains for back in November 2018) and shares a metro area with Windsor, Ontario.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

PolarBear wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:36 am Oakland (Bay Area) ------ Join Oakland A's water front stadium plan.

San Jose / Sacramento ------- Getting a 2nd team in the Bay area would be great for a rival and increase exposure. San Jose has tons of Canadians in the area (Neil Young is already a Winnipeg Jets fan that attends Sharks games) And having 2 teams in this area would be great for television deal.

San Diego ------- no brainer. Hungry fan base. Only has 1 pro sports team. They are building a brand new stadium. This is a must location.

Honolulu ------ Polynesians love their Football and the they are fighting hard to build a new Hawaii stadium for UH. You would be the big show in town and imagine the pride a Hawaii team would have if they adapt a territorial roster rule that you must have a certain # of local players. This is what would make the XFL/CFL stand out.

St. Louis ------ A great sports town. I'd find real owners that are serious about developing a new franchise and possibly a new stadium. Tear down the dome. Build a nice downtown Football stadium next to Busch stadium.

RICHMOND/HAMPTON ROADS ----- They want a professional sports team badly. True story is that they were wanting a CFL franchise in the '90s and had a plan to build a 22k seat stadium before the CFL moved their last u.s franchise to Montreal. Imagine the talent pool they would have if they use a territorial roster rule.

Baltimore ------ Yes they have the RAVENS. But Baltimore loved the CFL Stallions. I can see them averaging 30k fans and have this CFL/XFL franchise a big part of the local sports scene. Great media coverage and would give Richmond/Hampton Roads a great rival

Arlington-VA ------ If you don't put a team in Richmond/H.R then you have to consider one of the richest cities in the U.S.A that does not have a pro sports league. There has been rumors of the Redskins building a stadium. And lets not forget the Montreal Expos were actually planning on moving to Arlington VA which is just across the water from Washington, DC.

Hartford ------ Hartford sports fans have a huge affiliation with Canada sports fans due to their hockey history. Many Canadian tv channels were once (maybe still today) found on the basic cable packages in the area. Hartford has tried for years to bring in a major tenant to spur interest in redeveloping N. downtown. They built a new baseball stadium and have talked about a hockey arena for NHL if they don't renovate XL Civic Center, or even a Football stadium that could be the home of a XFL/CFL franchise and UCONN Program

Fargo ----- Fargo North Dakota? This state has produced some of the best football players in College Football the last decade. Another plus if league adapts territorial rule. They are currently in talks to build a brand new stadium that seats 25,000. Fargo can be compared to what Green Bay is to the U.S.A. A small sports town with great sports fans. Would be a great rival for Winnipeg for interleague games.

So you can get a great 8 or 9 franchises from this list..... build up the league the right way. Then expand when time is right!

One last thing. This XFL league has to drop stupid names and logos. Be more professional and be taken seriously.
Honolulu has no stadium. Aloha Stadium has been condemned and while the plan is to build and open a new stadium by fall of 2023, that seems unlikely. I have friends who live in Hawaii, and it seems more likely that Hawaii gets their new stadium by 2025 than 2023 and 2025 doesn't seem all that likely either.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Sorry Polar Bear; LEAVE the names and logos!
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:20 pm Aloha Stadium has been condemned and while the plan is to build and open a new stadium by fall of 2023, that seems unlikely. I have friends who live in Hawaii, and it seems more likely that Hawaii gets their new stadium by 2025 than 2023 and 2025 doesn't seem all that likely either.
Wow, I didn't know that. U-H has to play here in the meantime:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_ ... cs_Complex

2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Oh, joy. We have a n00b posting a thread with wild speculation about an expansion we don't know is happening, and speculating on wild and crazy small markets that don't fit at all with the XFL's established business model.

1. The XFL wants big markets. That rules out Fargo right away. Yes, it might be a cool sports market, but not what the XFL wants or needs.

2. There is no way in HELL that there's going to put three more teams in the Baltimore-Washington metroplex, especially Arlington, which has no stadium and no sports identity of its own. The Defenders have a strong following but not strong enough to be split three ways. The XFL is not in the business of building new stadiums and though the Virginia Destroyers were able to make do with the Sportsplex a decade ago (sheesh, has it really been that long?), the on-TV appearance looked like a high school game.

3. St. Louis ALREADY HAS THE BATTLEHAWKS and they're one of the most successful teams in the XFL in terms of fan base. Why is it even on this list?

If by chance we do get an expansion, the league does not need to nor should it double in size. They're already on the shallow end of the talent pool and don't need to dilute it any further. You want to see a good sized market and a record of supporting the game. San Diego (if they ever get a new stadium) and Sacramento are good candidates. Hartford is OK, but not great. Hampton Roads poses some issues.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

I would prefer to wait until the XFL has completed 3 full seasons before considering expansion.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:02 pm I would prefer to wait until the XFL has completed 3 full seasons before considering expansion.
Playing a season in 2022 would be an expansion from the 2021 season.

In other words - I agree.