Deal with the Devil...? CFL play-by-play man

XFL Football discussion.
Tank55
MVP

Re: Deal with the Devil...? CFL play-by-play man

Post by Tank55 »

4th&long wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:08 pmthat your take or you read that somewhere?
Here's Commissioner Ambrosie. Emphasis is mine.
They see an opportunity to use entertainment and perspectives from the world of entertainment to create greater fan engagement and that’s something we’re really very excited about. There were just so many different things that we shared views on and we have similar values, that it was obvious that there was something here.

We don’t know exactly what it is, but for all of the CFL fans over these past four years that have shared with me their hopes and dreams for growing the game — and obviously with a big focus on our major markets, Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver, but all of our markets — now we’re talking with a group that have a particularly spectacular skill set. That’s one of the many reasons why we’re excited to be where we are today.
https://www.cfl.ca/2021/03/10/oleary-ra ... e-johnson/
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I love how you're able to connect all these dots where a change in the number of downs triggers a butterfly effect that ends with the NFL expanding into three new markets, but when I state something as obvious as the CFL hopes their big new initiative will help address their greatest weakness, you ask for evidence.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

I highly doubt the XFL would sell the Lions, Alouettes and Argos if they buy them.

NFL expansion doesn't need to happen. 32 teams, 4 divisions of 4 teams in each division is the perfect divisional setup.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:21 pm I love how you're able to connect all these dots where a change in the number of downs triggers a butterfly effect that ends with the NFL expanding into three new markets, but when I state something as obvious as the CFL hopes their big new initiative will help address their greatest weakness, you ask for evidence.
why its called speculation

i opined they werent moving forward with 2022 abd that is correct

my opinion is these cities are worth big bucks to the nfl and xfl ownership knows that

will it happen ? who knows but its in peoplea minds for sure
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

4th&long wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:44 pmmy opinion is these cities are worth big bucks to the nfl and xfl ownership knows that
The CFL doesn't own the cities; they only thing they own that might be valuable to the NFL is the brands. Even then, it's very questionable whether the NFL would rather field the Toronto Argonauts than the Toronto Whatevers. With the latter, you get a fresh start and get to sell brand new merchandise. Certainly, the Detroit Lions will never share a league with the B.C. Lions.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:02 pm
4th&long wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:44 pmmy opinion is these cities are worth big bucks to the nfl and xfl ownership knows that
The CFL doesn't own the cities; they only thing they own that might be valuable to the NFL is the brands. Even then, it's very questionable whether the NFL would rather field the Toronto Argonauts than the Toronto Whatevers. With the latter, you get a fresh start and get to sell brand new merchandise. Certainly, the Detroit Lions will never share a league with the B.C. Lions.
I don't disagree with that entirely. Those are good points. However, the NFL has been hands off Canada in respect of the CFL or just PR or worry of another attempt at Canadian Football Act. Once the CFL no longer has a truely unique brand of FB, the NFL may not hold back.

The NFL will expand again... its only a matter of time. Especially into a new geographic area that can add to its TV revenue (beyond the deals now) since it should increase interest having a Canadian team(s).
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

The NFL may expand again, but they'd go to Mexico or San Diego first, possibly even Europe. The Bills nearly moved to Toronto, with a group fronted by Bon Jovi. Ultimately the Bills stayed in Buffalo, but the NFL, nor its owner were thinking about the CFL's feelings here. The NFL in Toronot would be a success but not at the SkyDump. So now you're paying over $1billion for an expansion team plus another billion for a stadium. B.C. shares a market with Seattle and has many thousands of fans cross the border to Seahawks games on Sunday, I don't foresee a move for those reasons. Montreal, seems a bit indifferent towards football in general and probably not even on the NFL's top ten list.
wbbfan
Linebacker

Post by wbbfan »

4th&long wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:03 pm
Tank55 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:02 pm
I don't disagree with that entirely. Those are good points. However, the NFL has been hands off Canada in respect of the CFL or just PR or worry of another attempt at Canadian Football Act. Once the CFL no longer has a truely unique brand of FB, the NFL may not hold back.

The NFL will expand again... its only a matter of time. Especially into a new geographic area that can add to its TV revenue (beyond the deals now) since it should increase interest having a Canadian team(s).
Thats not accurate, the NFL actually works closely with the CFL in ref and player grassroots development. Weve had a CBA between the leagues for more than 25 years and its been renewed atleast 6 times. The cfl actually got an interest-free loan from the nfl at the start of said agreement in the 90s.