What would an XFL-CFL merged league look like...

XFL Football discussion.
Joker
Quarterback

Re: What would an XFL-CFL merged league look like...

Post by Joker »

I agree they don’t seem very far along. Better get another tray of sandwiches. Lol.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:53 pm
Tank55 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:42 pm
Here is what is happening with the CFL/XFL meetings:
CFL team presidents and ownership reps are pairing up with XFL reps.
They are *discussing* how a merger might look. Might mean teams playing on both sides of border. Might not.
XFL reps want to know more about global efforts.
https://twitter.com/DannyAustin_9/statu ... 4146321410
This seems like one of the more concrete reports we've seen on the topic, and even then there are not a lot of answers.

It's been almost a month since it was announced publicly the XFL and CFL were talking. I think most of us assume the talks probably began before (long before?) that point. If by now we're STILL only at the stage where they are "discussing how a merger might look" (per the above tweet), there's no way the XFL is playing in 2022. Especially if they're going to keep that season on hold while the CFL talks continue.
I think we've had multiple reports, include the league itself, "its on hold", and Mike Mitchell reporting that 2022 is not happening. Outside a major cash infusion I don't see CFL inking a deal with the XFL (really RBC). I do see CFL picking their brain and making a relationship with RBC coming out of this though.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

4th&long wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:13 pm
This seems like one of the more concrete reports we've seen on the topic, and even then there are not a lot of answers.

It's been almost a month since it was announced publicly the XFL and CFL were talking. I think most of us assume the talks probably began before (long before?) that point. If by now we're STILL only at the stage where they are "discussing how a merger might look" (per the above tweet), there's no way the XFL is playing in 2022. Especially if they're going to keep that season on hold while the CFL talks continue.
and Mike Mitchell reporting that 2022 is not happening.
That's not what he did. He wrote a column where the headline was literally "Strong possibility XFL does not return to play in 2022," and said that not returning in 2022 is a "logical conclusion" to draw. Meaning it's his opinion, he's not reporting it based on any sources or anyone from the league office telling him that. It may seem like a small distinction, but it's not. Again, it's a reasonable assumption to say they won't be playing in 2022 but it has not been reported by anyone that they're not.

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/strong- ... y-in-2022/
@gregmparks
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

For all we know, the initial offering is going to be a 10 or 12 team CFL with the XFL supplying the new teams. Something like that could certainly still happen for 2022. But we just don't know where this is heading.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:18 pm

That's not what he did. He wrote a column where the headline was literally "Strong possibility XFL does not return to play in 2022," and said that not returning in 2022 is a "logical conclusion" to draw. Meaning it's his opinion, he's not reporting it based on any sources or anyone from the league office telling him that. It may seem like a small distinction, but it's not. Again, it's a reasonable assumption to say they won't be playing in 2022 but it has not been reported by anyone that they're not.

GP,

M Mithchell also was on a XFLNewsHub panel where he strong opined based on info he is hearing that it is highly unlikely.

Together with the XFL's statement that the Season is on HOLD until CFL talks conclude - makes it highly unlikely. He is not the only XFL 'insider' to state such.

Maybe they will but its April 10th and nothing is being done currently and we are 10 months away.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

4th&long wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:12 pm

GP,

M Mithchell also was on a XFLNewsHub panel where he strong opined based on info he is hearing that it is highly unlikely.

Together with the XFL's statement that the Season is on HOLD until CFL talks conclude - makes it highly unlikely. He is not the only XFL 'insider' to state such.

Maybe they will but its April 10th and nothing is being done currently and we are 10 months away.
But you understand the difference between saying a season is "highly unlikely" or opining that it's not going to happen versus actually reporting that it's not going to happen, right? That was my only point.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:51 pm
4th&long wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:12 pm

GP,

But you understand the difference between saying a season is "highly unlikely" or opining that it's not going to happen versus actually reporting that it's not going to happen, right? That was my only point.
Correct. However MM is basing that on insider information. And we are now into April.
4th&long
MVP

Would CFL / XFL be CFL-USA 2.0

Post by 4th&long »

If the XFL more or less gives up on being what XFL 2.0 was - could they just "buy" into the CFL with 3 cities (for 12 team league) that could get good enough gate and open the CFL up to USA TV without having major upfront risk?

Yes the CFL would need to adopt some USA rules but in this scenario the CFL-Lite (call in continental football league) would be more 75% CFL rules and 25% XFL (american).

This would be a way to tap into the USA TV market, gambling, "go international" while being different from American FB. This would be a lower risk for both leagues - and if it doesn't work out the CFL can pull back. The XFL reduces the number of teams to fund and gets some funding from media and gambling to cover their reduced cost.

It would make the Canadian fans more comfortable, while edging them towards American rules, and the XFL benefits by reduced costs in teams and league overhead.

1 - Play April thru August
2 - field to 57 yds wide (reduced from 63 yds canadian, and increased from 53yd american)
3 - End Zones 15-12 yrds vs 20/10yds CA/USA
4 - Field 100yds
5 - Players 11
6 - Keep the 3 downs
7 - Retain most other Canadian rules: rouge, def 1 yd off line, goal post at goal line, fumble kick rules, etc...
8 - Can't play against NFL at all.

Its anyone's guess what 3 cities the USA would pick to start, but NY is the crown jewel of TV and a Montreal or Toronto vs NY would have 2 big metro markets.
After that Seattle seems likely as a foil for Vancouver and a city that likes both Soccer and NFL, they may warm to CFL-Lite more than most.
3rdly would be St Louis - They are smack dab in the middle of the country and starved for anything FB. They may warm to CFL-Lite.
These three cities would get you to almost 8.9% of the US TV market vs 9.2% for AAF's 8 teams.

I think this is more risky a 'sell' to American fans but its way less of a risk to Canadians. It edges CFL towards American rules but keeps the #1 thing, 3 downs. Shrinking the CFL field would make it look less stark of difference for Americans. And 11 players makes sense on the smaller field, looks more American and saves teams $$$ too.

Is the CFL willing to try something like this? Is the XFL ownership? Is the XFL willing to risk this reduced $$$ when they have yet to demonstrate any spending?

Who knows but you can only talk so long before something comes of it or not.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I'd go with four downs, but otherwise that's pretty much my hope. Seattle, St. Louis, and New York let you go coast-to-coast in the US and gives you a nice East/West divide for divisions. You get the biggest US market and the two best performing XFL markets. You're not drifting too far south. If it works, you can easily scale up. If it doesn't, you've failed at a fraction of the cost of a full standalone league.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:37 pm I'd go with four downs, but otherwise that's pretty much my hope. Seattle, St. Louis, and New York let you go coast-to-coast in the US and gives you a nice East/West divide for divisions. You get the biggest US market and the two best performing XFL markets. You're not drifting too far south. If it works, you can easily scale up. If it doesn't, you've failed at a fraction of the cost of a full standalone league.
Agreed - if it were 4 downs it would be an easier sell for Americans (me included). But.... if they stick with 3 down, this is likely the only way to do it. And might be the compromise needed.