What would an XFL-CFL merged league look like...

XFL Football discussion.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: What would an XFL-CFL merged league look like...

Post by GregParks »

Most of us agree one of the keys to being a successful alternative (or whatever you'd like to call it) league is that the quality of football has to be high. It's part of the reason I've favored keeping a league in the spring season; not only do you have players not on NFL rosters available to you, but you also aren't competing for the media's attention with the NFL's on-field product.

By playing April-August, now you're competing for coverage with the NFL's training camps kicking into full gear. Granted, in the spring, you're not immune as you've got the NFL Draft, but that's more specialized coverage. You're also losing out on a lot of quality players, as they'll all either be in NFL camps at a time when those rosters are at their fullest, or potential players will spurn the XFL/CFL hoping they'll catch on with a team during camp.

TV coverage-wise, in the summer you have less competition whereas in the spring you've got the NFL Draft, NBA All-Star Game, Daytona 500, March Madness, and Master's. I realize there are probably many other factors that will go into deciding when the season takes place, but I'm not in a hurry to give up on the traditional XFL schedule just yet. I'm certainly willing to listen, though, and realize this is just an American POV and a combined XFL/CFL league may tilt toward what is best for the Canadian side.
@gregmparks