TSL impact of XFL 2022 "Pause"

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

TSL impact of XFL 2022 "Pause"

Post by 4th&long »

What's the XFL 2022 Pause impact on TSL 2021 & 2022

Granted a full on XFL season is way above the TSL, but the TSL is morphing into a more structured 'league', assuming they maintain that FS1 contract.

No word yet if FS1 is on board for 2021, but assuming it is, TSL would be only American FB game in town outside Fall NFL/CFB.

Lots of things to consider

- Will/has FS1 resigned with TSL for 2021?
- Will NBA and NHL permanently move their schedules to avoid NFL?
- WIll Fox sign NHL to TV contract? How does that impact desire for TSL.
- With No XFL will potential players view TSL more highly an option to get into NFL/CFL?
- Absent the XFL shouldn't there be a bigger and better pool of players available to TSL
- Does TSL have the funds to pull this off even with their ultra low cost structure?
- Post covid, when does it make most sense to play a TSL season?
MGB01
MVP

Re: TSL impact of XFL 2022 "Pause"

Post by MGB01 »

As I said about a week or so ago, if FS1 is still going ahead, there's a five week window (5/22-6/19) from their regular MLB Saturday afternoons which are every week from April 3 to September 4

As for the NBA, Xmas is such a big day for them historically but their carpetbombing at the hands of the NFL (the league that has three years left according to Numbnutz Cuban, clearly one of history's better calls) might make them reconsider, even on Tue/Wed years.

If the eventual endgame to these CFL/XFL discussions is say eventually, an April-August season (not too far-fetched, I've seen it proposed for the CFL the last few years) yes it probably will affect the talent pool somewhat. After all, while there were supposedly CFL prospects that through their agents pledged to wait on the XFL, the same could be in play here.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:57 am As I said about a week or so ago, if FS1 is still going ahead, there's a five week window (5/22-6/19) from their regular MLB Saturday afternoons which are every week from April 3 to September 4

As for the NBA, Xmas is such a big day for them historically but their carpetbombing at the hands of the NFL (the league that has three years left according to Numbnutz Cuban, clearly one of history's better calls) might make them reconsider, even on Tue/Wed years.

If the eventual endgame to these CFL/XFL discussions is say eventually, an April-August season (not too far-fetched, I've seen it proposed for the CFL the last few years) yes it probably will affect the talent pool somewhat. After all, while there were supposedly CFL prospects that through their agents pledged to wait on the XFL, the same could be in play here.
With insider news now that XFL 2022 is likely a no go... the TSL appears to be the winner, ie gains from the opening.

I'm going with MGB01's target window for when the league could play 2021, even if not a complete overlap. The XFL Markcast's Reed stated Brian Woods would be coming on the show soon, hopefully we get the word by then.

Also if FS1 is still in play.
FootballYoda
Quarterback

Post by FootballYoda »

It’s the past business practices of Brian Woods that gives the TSL its weakness. That’s it for me. Crappy treatment of some players.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

FootballYoda wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:39 am It’s the past business practices of Brian Woods that gives the TSL its weakness. That’s it for me. Crappy treatment of some players.
Really? In a pandemic? Come on. There is alway always some griping. The same could be said of AAF and XFL. Yes to a different degree but that is why the UFPA was formed to address AAF/XFL issues.

TSL is also not at the scale of the other two, so expectations IMO are lower. Having said that, they did play that championship game as they promised and they do need to improve upon fall 2020 with players. With Coronavirus on the decline that should be easier to manage.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Woods' track record long predates the pandemic. I do think it's weird how generous you are to Woods and how ungenerous you are to XFL's ownership.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

The TSL has a golden opportunity here provided Woods doesn't blow it. Maybe the Rock and RBC should have bought the TSL or merged with them ! (Just kidding!)
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:16 am Woods' track record long predates the pandemic. I do think it's weird how generous you are to Woods and how ungenerous you are to XFL's ownership.
Interesting.

Well B Woods has delivered despite being a BSer. He started small, and never gave up. I didn't give it much credence at first but be tweaked and grow his business over a few years. He stuck it out through the much larger and media attractive AAF and XFL launches, Worked with XFL in 2019 and that went well. He then took the next step in 2020 when the XFL 3.0 threw their hands up on 2021. Sans Covid he put together new logos, 6 teams and put on a short dev oriented season. And quite frankly it was better than I expected. He got a TV deal with FS1 and the games were televised. A lot is riding on this years execution.
In summary: He accomplished something and is still moving forward.

XFL has been a CF since 10/1/21 announcement of no 2021. The new ownership has lied about 2022 now as well. They have accomplished Zero. This despite the big names and money that supposedly bought the 'league'. All they did IMO is prevent VM or someone else from making a real attempted at spring FB.

Why DG-RBC-Rock get a pass from everyone is beyond me. I knew 2021 was BS, but at least it was plausible. But the 2022 pause/HOLD is just ridiculous.
On the TSL front I'm hoping its a step up from fall 2020, I want it on FS1 and I hope all goes well. Agreed its no XFL/AAF/CFL BUT it was professional enough for me, and again that was a pleasant surprise.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Hey, if you think the juice is worth the squeeze, that's your prerogative. I wouldn't even entirely disagree. Just don't get all in a tiff about COVID if someone thinks he's a dirtbag.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:51 pm Hey, if you think the juice is worth the squeeze, that's your prerogative. I wouldn't even entirely disagree. Just don't get all in a tiff about COVID if someone thinks he's a dirtbag.
You lost me. NFL, NCAAFB, NBA, NHL, MLS, all played in 2020. Its 2021, they all are playing again along with NCAABB. There was no reason for XFL to not play in 2021 sans a lack of finance and same for 2022.

I'm not getting into a tiff, you asked why I have no issue with BWoods vs XFL ownership. I answered that. B Woods delivered up and beyond. XFL is going backward... on paper promises. And I'm not calling Woods, Saint Brian either, cause he's certainly not.