XFL 2022 season on Hold Pending CFL conversations

XFL Football discussion.
laxtreme56
Coach

Re: XFL 2022 season on Hold Pending CFL conversations

Post by laxtreme56 »

4th&long wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:09 pm Well based on media reaction and board activity this CFL "talks" and worse the 2022 Hold is not going over well with the press and less so with the fan base...
Not sure where you're checking but the media, especially Canadian, has been overwhelmingly positive about this potential. They are looking at the Rock as their Savior. The league was trending on Twitter for the first time in nearly a year and the XFL Reddit page is beyond excited.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Ottawa Sun columnist says that the XFL and CFL were talking even before the pandemic hit. Emphasis mine:
The XFL, with lots of bluster, was rebooted and relaunched in 2020. There seemed to be momentum, but then the pandemic hit full force. The XFL filed for bankruptcy last April 13. It’s believed the CFL had already been in talks with the XFL. Then, when a group led by Dwayne Johnson, Dany Garcia and RedBird Capital’s principal, Gerry Cardinale, bought the XFL for $15 million, talks about synergy between the leagues kicked into full gear.
https://ottawasun.com/sports/football/c ... n-football
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:40 pm Ottawa Sun columnist says that the XFL and CFL were talking even before the pandemic hit. Emphasis mine:
The XFL, with lots of bluster, was rebooted and relaunched in 2020. There seemed to be momentum, but then the pandemic hit full force. The XFL filed for bankruptcy last April 13. It’s believed the CFL had already been in talks with the XFL. Then, when a group led by Dwayne Johnson, Dany Garcia and RedBird Capital’s principal, Gerry Cardinale, bought the XFL for $15 million, talks about synergy between the leagues kicked into full gear.
https://ottawasun.com/sports/football/c ... n-football
He said this in this last paragraph:
It may disgust some fans, but, if the CFL isn’t ready to move ahead, it’s going to get left behind. Some fans will want no part of any change to a game’s identity, its lifeblood. I love the CFL like it is. But, if it comes down to a mindset change or a league that goes away, I choose change. You can’t point at a short-lived U.S. expansion from 1993 to ’95 and say, ‘This won’t work.’ That expansion may have actually saved the CFL. And, now, it’s about saving it again … by any means necessary.
He loves the CFL as is, but would rather see it change and survive rather than not change and fold. That's the same mindset as Rod Pederson. He says on his show he loves the CFL, but in order for it to survive, it needs to change.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Ti-Cats owner floats "International Gridiron Football Championship"; readies fans for rule changes
“What’s intriguing to me about these conversations — whether we do anything on the football field — is whether there is a partnership there with the XFL and with Dwayne Johnson that instead of just playing for the Grey Cup, we can also play for the International Gridiron Football Championship of some sort and develop a much, much broader reach than the CFL has ever had,” Young speculated.
“I was watching on Twitter and [fans] were saying, ‘Canadian football has been around for a hundred years and if they change any of the rules, I’m going to refuse to watch!’ I go, ‘Hold on, a hundred years ago you were not allowed to pass the ball forward,'” Young continued.

“Our rules do keep changing and as long as they change for the better our fans will follow us. If they change for the worse, they won’t follow us. That’s our responsibility, to figure that one out and take our fans on a journey that they’re excited about."
https://3downnation.com/2021/03/11/tica ... mpionship/
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:34 am Ti-Cats owner floats "International Gridiron Football Championship"; readies fans for rule changes
“What’s intriguing to me about these conversations — whether we do anything on the football field — is whether there is a partnership there with the XFL and with Dwayne Johnson that instead of just playing for the Grey Cup, we can also play for the International Gridiron Football Championship of some sort and develop a much, much broader reach than the CFL has ever had,” Young speculated.
“I was watching on Twitter and [fans] were saying, ‘Canadian football has been around for a hundred years and if they change any of the rules, I’m going to refuse to watch!’ I go, ‘Hold on, a hundred years ago you were not allowed to pass the ball forward,'” Young continued.

“Our rules do keep changing and as long as they change for the better our fans will follow us. If they change for the worse, they won’t follow us. That’s our responsibility, to figure that one out and take our fans on a journey that they’re excited about."
https://3downnation.com/2021/03/11/tica ... mpionship/
Its not going to go over well. Ultimately if the XFL plan doesnt add revenue for Canadian teams they won't proceed.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Bob Young is a highly influential owner in the CFL.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

laxtreme56 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:28 pm It's unknown if all 9 CFL owners are on board unless some fans are allowed in the stands. Apparently Ontario won't host any large gatherings til at least September so that's 2 CFL teams that would lose even more money than usual.
Well, Ambrosie literally guaranteed there would not only be a season, but full fans, at least by the time of the Grey Cup.

I know in America, a lot of the reopening is being driven by lawsuits that have stripped or limited the governments' emergency powers. Though I live fairly close to Canada, admittedly I have very little awareness of the extent of the Canadian court system or even if the provincial/local governments can even be challenged in court. These restrictions have already gone on far longer than any other "emergency" in modern memory and eventually somebody has to step in and say "you can't do this for this long. There are limits."

If at all possible, Hamilton's owner Bob Young needs to sue the pants off the provincial government for undue interference.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:39 pm
laxtreme56 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:28 pm It's unknown if all 9 CFL owners are on board unless some fans are allowed in the stands. Apparently Ontario won't host any large gatherings til at least September so that's 2 CFL teams that would lose even more money than usual.
Well, Ambrosie literally guaranteed there would not only be a season, but full fans, at least by the time of the Grey Cup.

I know in America, a lot of the reopening is being driven by lawsuits that have stripped or limited the governments' emergency powers. Though I live fairly close to Canada, admittedly I have very little awareness of the extent of the Canadian court system or even if the provincial/local governments can even be challenged in court. These restrictions have already gone on far longer than any other "emergency" in modern memory and eventually somebody has to step in and say "you can't do this for this long. There are limits."

If at all possible, Hamilton's owner Bob Young needs to sue the pants off the provincial government for undue interference.
Herd immunity appears to be moving faster in the USA based on # of cases and non-CDC doctors opining. But June is still far off and Canada should have vaccinated enough people by then to open up.

I agree the CFL should sue to open up, they got stiff by Trudon't on the request for $30mm (C$D) loan so they don't "have a friend" so to speak in gov.
KJE
Running Back

Post by KJE »

4th&long wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:12 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:39 pm

Herd immunity appears to be moving faster in the USA based on # of cases and non-CDC doctors opining. But June is still far off and Canada should have vaccinated enough people by then to open up.

I agree the CFL should sue to open up, they got stiff by Trudon't on the request for $30mm (C$D) loan so they don't "have a friend" so to speak in gov.
Trudeau has nothing to do with the lockdowns. They are done provincially.