XFL 2022 season on Hold Pending CFL conversations

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: XFL 2022 season on Hold Pending CFL conversations

Post by 4th&long »

KJE wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:57 pm
4th&long wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:12 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:39 pm Well, Ambrosie literally guaranteed there would not only be a season, but full fans, at least by the time of the Grey Cup.

I know in America, a lot of the reopening is being driven by lawsuits that have stripped or limited the governments' emergency powers. Though I live fairly close to Canada, admittedly I have very little awareness of the extent of the Canadian court system or even if the provincial/local governments can even be challenged in court. These restrictions have already gone on far longer than any other "emergency" in modern memory and eventually somebody has to step in and say "you can't do this for this long. There are limits."

If at all possible, Hamilton's owner Bob Young needs to sue the pants off the provincial government for undue interference.
Herd immunity appears to be moving faster in the USA based on # of cases and non-CDC doctors opining. But June is still far off and Canada should have vaccinated enough people by then to open up.

I agree the CFL should sue to open up, they got stiff by Trudon't on the request for $30mm (C$D) loan so they don't "have a friend" so to speak in gov.
Trudeau has nothing to do with the lockdowns. They are done provincially.
Repeating, Trudean't didn't provide the interest free loan the CFL requested. That wasn't a big ask, and they still stiffed them.
KJE
Running Back

Post by KJE »

So your plan is to sue the federal government for not giving a loan?
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

KJE wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:21 pm So your plan is to sue the federal government for not giving a loan?
No. But to sue for not opening to allow them to make money... and if they won't let them open (fully) then a Gov loan seems like a compromise. We're talking June here
Last edited by 4th&long on Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KJE
Running Back

Post by KJE »

If they give a loan to the CFL them they have to give a loan to every business.

And the federal government isn't doing them from opening up. Various provincial governments are.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

KJE wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:32 pm If they give a loan to the CFL them they have to give a loan to every business.

And the federal government isn't doing them from opening up. Various provincial governments are.
They dont have to give to every business. And they can get a loan from fed or provincial.

Nothing is easy but public opinion and determination can make things happen.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:39 pm Well, Ambrosie literally guaranteed there would not only be a season, but full fans, at least by the time of the Grey Cup.

I know in America, a lot of the reopening is being driven by lawsuits that have stripped or limited the governments' emergency powers. Though I live fairly close to Canada, admittedly I have very little awareness of the extent of the Canadian court system or even if the provincial/local governments can even be challenged in court. These restrictions have already gone on far longer than any other "emergency" in modern memory and eventually somebody has to step in and say "you can't do this for this long. There are limits."

If at all possible, Hamilton's owner Bob Young needs to sue the pants off the provincial government for undue interference.
Herd immunity appears to be moving faster in the USA based on # of cases and non-CDC doctors opining. But June is still far off and Canada should have vaccinated enough people by then to open up.

I agree the CFL should sue to open up, they got stiff by Trudon't on the request for $30mm (C$D) loan so they don't "have a friend" so to speak in gov.
To a point, though—the federal system in Canada works a little differently. It's not so much a confederation like the U.S. is, but it has more of a top-down structure. So while in America, the federal government doesn't have a stiff hand on states' rights except when there's a compelling interest, in Canada, all provinces report directly to the national government, which in turn derives its power from the Queen of the Commonwealth (via the governor-general).
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

KJE wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:32 pm If they give a loan to the CFL them they have to give a loan to every business.
Well, if you're deliberately interfering in an organization's ability to operate, then yeah, you probably should compensate them.
KJE
Running Back

Post by KJE »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:01 pm

To a point, though—the federal system in Canada works a little differently. It's not so much a confederation like the U.S. is, but it has more of a top-down structure. So while in America, the federal government doesn't have a stiff hand on states' rights except when there's a compelling interest, in Canada, all provinces report directly to the national government, which in turn derives its power from the Queen of the Commonwealth (via the governor-general).
No they don't. Obviously they work together on issues but provinces don't "report" to the federal government. They have their own governor general.

Edit - it's called Lieutenant governor.