XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: When do we know more?

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:23 pm
GDAWG wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:09 pm
4th&long wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:57 pm

Well one thing for sure is that Covid virus should be way down and sports team nationally will be at least partial capcity and many states full capacity. Meaning Covid isn't the issue.

That bodes well for NHL and NBA playoffs and MLB season.
The NBA and NHL have set rules for attendance this year and those teams will follow it regardless of whether or not states allow fans into the stands.
Money talks and if the perception is its clear they will open up May 15th is over 2 months away. Rules like that can be changed on a dime.
Both the NBA and NHL have said that they would consider changing the rules in regards to attendance this season depending on recommendations from the CDC and state and local health officials, but as of now, nothing is going to change.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:29 pm
4th&long wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:23 pm
GDAWG wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:09 pm

The NBA and NHL have set rules for attendance this year and those teams will follow it regardless of whether or not states allow fans into the stands.
Money talks and if the perception is its clear they will open up May 15th is over 2 months away. Rules like that can be changed on a dime.
Both the NBA and NHL have said that they would consider changing the rules in regards to attendance this season depending on recommendations from the CDC and state and local health officials, but as of now, nothing is going to change.
Exactly, they will want to avoid liability issues so of course they will follow all that.

Better to say ' as of right now nothing has changed' the future will determine if anything does change. But I think it will ... for the better.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Firecop wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:08 am I think that many of us just assumed that the league would pretty much take back up from where it left off, but it is obviously not to be. I can't help but wonder if the new owners thought the same too... Personnel have moved on, fans have moved on, and the sports world has pretty much moved on - the XFL, not so much. I can't help but wonder if the new ownership badly miscalculated the sports and football landscape and its costs. They have absolutely FAILED at fan engagement which was to be a hallmark of XFL 3.0.I would go so far as to say that their inability to keep fans, especially the diehards , engaged now verges on alienation. They talked a good game and showed us nothing.
That is a very sober take and one many likely have. Based on comments from DG (Oct 1 and after) I did not think they would be moving forward sans a "lucrative" contract in hand. Also Fox signing with TSL the day after just felt like XFL was asking to much. I've stated that IMO they needed a short/hyrbid season in 2021 to maintain interest, clearly they weren't willing to finance that, it was way to long to have no XFL especially with radio silence.
I also thought the best way for XFL to continue was for VM to buy it back, but some creditors like coach Hayes ruined that with their bitching and moaning. I just wish that if DG/Rock/RB have no intentions sans a hail mary contract that they move on... ie sell it.

What's really sad is that from AAF to XFL to COVID it was all a strange set of events that doomed this go round of spring FB. I will likely start a thread on that.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

It was a perfect storm of misfortune for sure; the XFL 2.0 was doing alright. It was a lot of fun, especially in Seattle and I thought the future bright for the league. I did expect a couple of team moves, from less than productive cities revenue wise, but other than that it looked to be taking off. What I liked most were some of the truly innovative rule changes, some worked and some not so much, but they were trying to re-imagine the game in a positive way, something I wish the NFL would consider. Sometimes bad things just happen and such is life.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

4th&long wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:56 pm
Firecop wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:08 am I think that many of us just assumed that the league would pretty much take back up from where it left off, but it is obviously not to be. I can't help but wonder if the new owners thought the same too... Personnel have moved on, fans have moved on, and the sports world has pretty much moved on - the XFL, not so much. I can't help but wonder if the new ownership badly miscalculated the sports and football landscape and its costs. They have absolutely FAILED at fan engagement which was to be a hallmark of XFL 3.0.I would go so far as to say that their inability to keep fans, especially the diehards , engaged now verges on alienation. They talked a good game and showed us nothing.
That is a very sober take and one many likely have. Based on comments from DG (Oct 1 and after) I did not think they would be moving forward sans a "lucrative" contract in hand. Also Fox signing with TSL the day after just felt like XFL was asking to much. I've stated that IMO they needed a short/hyrbid season in 2021 to maintain interest, clearly they weren't willing to finance that, it was way to long to have no XFL especially with radio silence.
I also thought the best way for XFL to continue was for VM to buy it back, but some creditors like coach Hayes ruined that with their bitching and moaning. I just wish that if DG/Rock/RB have no intentions sans a hail mary contract that they move on... ie sell it.

What's really sad is that from AAF to XFL to COVID it was all a strange set of events that doomed this go round of spring FB. I will likely start a thread on that.
I don't disagree in the sense that the XFL may be better off with VM at the helm, however it's essentially his fault we're in this mess now. If he truly believed in the league he could've easily laid off/furloughed all but a skeleton staff of employees and kept the social media team. It would've saved face with sponsors, employees, and fans. Regardless of Covid, the word bankruptcy is seen in a negative light. It's one of the reasons the Arena League never fully recovered from its 2009 bankruptcy. Bankruptcy, regardless of the reasons, is deemed a failure. It's going to be tough getting sponsors back on board when they are still owed money by the league. The XFL had roughly 90 creditors when it filed for bankruptcy, and most will be lucky to see pennies on the dollar paid back.

With that being said, ESPN is back in the fold with the NHL and NBC may be out of the picture all together. Perhaps they might be willing to part with $15-20 million a year for XFL rights. Even TNT is paying AEW pro wrestling $40+ million a year for AAF level ratings. The pro wrestling demographic isn't exactly the most coveted either. Heck, the FCF "league" drew 1.3 million unique viewers to its broadcast last weekend. That's nearly the same rating the XFL had week 5 on ABC and Fox last year. There is still hope for the XFL, and I don't see why they would pay $15 million just to sit on it, but there is definitely a rather steep hill to climb.
Stephenlovesfootball
Rookie

Post by Stephenlovesfootball »

How much longer till the rock ends up selling the XFL I give him 6 months