Amazon looking to be Exclusive for NFL-TNF

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Amazon looking to be Exclusive for NFL-TNF

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/04/why-ama ... ights.html

>> Amazon has its eyes set on being more than just a website to stock up on phone chargers and paper towels and stream the latest episode of “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.”

Amazon is in talks with the National Football League to carry Thursday night games exclusively starting in 2023, CNBC reported on Thursday. As part of the agreement, Amazon would be responsible for the production costs and the games would still be broadcast on local TV in home markets of each of the teams playing.

Winning the exclusive streaming rights would mark Amazon’s most aggressive push yet into sports content. It also has the potential to pump even greater value into Amazon’s Prime Video platform, while serving as an added perk for its Prime subscription program, which now boasts more than 150 million paid members around the world.

Sports content and NFL games in particular beef up that value proposition for existing and would-be Prime subscribers. Sports content could also lure the rapidly accelerating share of cord-cutters away from other services.Sports content and NFL games in particular beef up that value proposition for existing and would-be Prime subscribers. Sports content could also lure the rapidly accelerating share of cord-cutters away from other services.<<

They would have to pay big for the games not to be on NFLN as well.

Again - Cable TV needs programing just as streamers do.... XFL opportunity but they need a $$$ backer.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Re: Amazon looking to be Exclusive for NFL-TNF

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Yeah, if this goes through, they'd have to shut down NFL Network. The retransmission deals NFL Network has require at least seven games on that outlet exclusively (it was eight but apparently they renegotiated that part).
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Can't say I am surprised in the least, I have been anticipating this for some time.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:21 pm Yeah, if this goes through, they'd have to shut down NFL Network. The retransmission deals NFL Network has require at least seven games on that outlet exclusively (it was eight but apparently they renegotiated that part).
Did not know the games requirement - but I do know they need games to encourage Cable systems to carry.

I think the reporting is may be mistaken that NFLN may be included at least partially.