XFL - One year after kick off... and waiting

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: XFL - One year after kick off... and waiting

Post by 4th&long »

>> XFL News and Discussion @ XFLBoard.com@xflboard
Replying to @FantasyFerguson and @nickfitz07
There is a small staff and they will respond to questions. Just nothing about previously announced 2022 season.
12:46 PM · Mar 3, 2021 <<

https://twitter.com/xflboard/status/1367169637025202176

Whoa... That's a pretty powerful statement
Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 »

4th&long wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:20 pm >> XFL News and Discussion @ XFLBoard.com@xflboard
There is a small staff and they will respond to questions. Just nothing about previously announced 2022 season.

not really tbh..it just means they haven't filled out the business office yet just like last time lol
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Rangersking669 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:26 pm
4th&long wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:20 pm >> XFL News and Discussion @ XFLBoard.com@xflboard

not really tbh..it just means they haven't filled out the business office yet just like last time lol
Really? Come on now... the iceberg's been hit and water is 3 decks up.

They aren't even saying " We are working towards our 2022 launch "

SO what kinda questions are they answering?
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

I'm thinking they are having discussion with potential sponsors now and trying to bring them back in the fray. When Vince declared bankruptcy most of these sponsors received pennie's on the dollar, while some, (remember that photographer thay was owed thousands) received nothing.

Just look at when the arena league came back from bankruptcy in 2008. I was watching a game from the NBC era on YouTube last night, they had presenting sponsors like Budweiser, Wendy's, ADT security, and Subway. When they came back the best they could secure was Net 10 Wireless and a sports book that wouldn't take bets on their games. The Rock and Co. Are probably doing damage control right now and ensuring potential sponsors they won't up and fold again.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:46 am I'm thinking they are having discussion with potential sponsors now and trying to bring them back in the fray. When Vince declared bankruptcy most of these sponsors received pennie's on the dollar, while some, (remember that photographer thay was owed thousands) received nothing.

Just look at when the arena league came back from bankruptcy in 2008. I was watching a game from the NBC era on YouTube last night, they had presenting sponsors like Budweiser, Wendy's, ADT security, and Subway. When they came back the best they could secure was Net 10 Wireless and a sports book that wouldn't take bets on their games. The Rock and Co. Are probably doing damage control right now and ensuring potential sponsors they won't up and fold again.
I think thats wishful thinking.... in COVID error they all lost. They want to see a well funded league . What sponsors lost money on XFL 2.0?
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

4th&long wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:50 pm
laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:46 am I'm thinking they are having discussion with potential sponsors now and trying to bring them back in the fray. When Vince declared bankruptcy most of these sponsors received pennie's on the dollar, while some, (remember that photographer thay was owed thousands) received nothing.

I think thats wishful thinking.... in COVID error they all lost. They want to see a well funded league . What sponsors lost money on XFL 2.0?
I'll give a more in-depth follow-up when I have time, bit here's a story of one person owed at least$1k. https://411mania.com/wrestling/xfl-phot ... -not-paid/
4th&long
MVP

ARIZONA OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.outkick.com/arizona-lifts-r ... usinesses/

>> Arizona is back in business, as Gov. Doug Ducey announced Friday it will reopen all establishments to 100 percent capacity. <<

Where's the AAF Hotshots!?!
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

4th&long wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:30 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:12 pm "expect the next deal to be much more $$"

Really, though? The NHL is in a very difficult position. Their Canadian TV deal is doing fine, but on the American side, it's a disaster. Consider:

- Their outdoor game this year ended up being postponed to midnight local time after they couldn't maintain the ice surface in the Lake Tahoe sunshine.
- Ratings have been on a slow downward slide here for years.
- The NHL's highest rated local market, Buffalo, has been saddled with a team that is completely unable to play competent hockey as its "generational talents" Jack Eichel and Rasmus Dahlin wither away into the next Alex Daigle and Pat Falloon while a revolving door of incompetent head coaches continues to circulate. They're about to reach an NHL record 10 straight seasons without a playoff appearance, the exact opposite of what their owner promised: a Stanley Cup. With the Bills the best they've been in years, a strong local college basketball scene, and the Sabres' prime asset (play-by-play man Rick Jeanneret) getting too old for the job and showing it, there's little reason for the NHL's top American market to tune in. (sorry, as a WNY native, I had to get that rant out) I think the DC Defenders had a stronger following in Buffalo than the Sabres last year, and that's saying something.
- The NHL seems to have no sense of regularity in its scheduling. How many Winter Classics have been canceled or postponed? That's their signature event in America.
- The marquee stars on American teams, like Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, Patrick Kane... they're all over 30 and not getting any younger.
- NBC shut down NBCSN. That means fewer windows for games, shoehorned in on CNBC or USA, if they were to want to renew. ESPN's schedule is full; both it and Turner have full slates of NBA and college hoops. CBS is committed to college basketball. Fox might be interested. Sinclair is arguably in the best position (already owning 14 out of 31 teams' regional rights) but its national network Stadium is in much of the same position as OLN was in 2005.
- This wouldn't be the first time the NHL has to take a step back and accept less: they had to do so after their ESPN deal ended in '04 as well.

The NHL is in a horrible position in regard to its negotiations for a new American TV deal. NBC looks like it wants out and the other takers have a lot more leverage.
The TV Sports nets are desperate for LIVE sports content to help boost their demand on Cable TV. I predict NHL will do well with this round. Could be split contract even.
As predicted NHL has scored a BIG TV deal, and its only half the deal. DOUBLE the $200mm a year currently by NBC.
ESPN/ABC deal alone is worth $400mm a year. And a second TV partnership is expected.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2021/0 ... y-cup-abc/

>> According the Post and Associated Press, ESPN’s deal is worth in the neighborhood of $400 million per year for what the Post terms the NHL’s “A” package. ESPN was already paying $100 million/year for its streaming package of games on ESPN+.

As previously reported, ESPN will carry the Stanley Cup Final exclusively in four of the seven years. In a first for the NHL, all seven games would air on the ABC broadcast network, with simulcasts on ESPN+ and additional ESPN networks. <<

AND..

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2021/0 ... extension/

>> Incumbent NBC remains interested in maintaining its relationship with the NHL, according to The Athletic, but talks between the sides have been “strained” of late over price issues, per Sports Business Journal. With ESPN announcing Tuesday that it has acquired the NHL’s primary media rights package, NBC is negotiating for a secondary package that includes three Stanley Cup finals in seven years, an annual conference final and half of the postseason.

Fox Sports is widely expected to be NBC’s rival for that secondary package, but its interest level is not clear. The Athletic reported that Fox will make a “hard push” for the rights, but Sports Business Journal said Fox has not held “meaningful talks” with the league lately as it focuses on its NFL negotiations.<<

You can bet that the NHL's total national TV deal will be north of $600mm when the secondary pkg is signed. That's 3x prior deal.

Like I predicted NHL will score big as TV is DESPERATE for LIVE SPORTS.

And the XFL can't get a paying TV contract with 1.9mm a game average over 20 games. This is why I question WTF DG/RBC/RK are doing.